OtakuBoards

Red Dead Revolver

Epitome

[size=1]This game just came out recently. Its made by Rockstar and its an Old West game with duels, showdowns, and such. The main story line is this: You play as a man named Red. You start off in his childhood when his parents are killed in a raid of bandits. He eventually becomes a "bounty hunter" and thats where you really start.

Personally I have loved the game. I rented it first and I plan to go out and buy it in the near future. So for those of you who have played it, what did you all think?[/size]

[COLOR=Teal]I only had the chance to play the game for a short while really, but so far I?m under the impression that it's just another typical 'Wild West' implementation?

Rockstar have adapted the western physique quite well though, they haven't made any short cuts in its development seeing as you [I]are[/I] in the third person mode, giving them the chance to show off more of the surroundings as well as Red himself.

It's hard to bring realistic visuals of the Wild West to game play along with the reference of many other Cowboy related films; after all, it was a ruthless era and was hard for many of the inhabitants, so the whole idea of sheriffs and bandits support that fact. Given this, I think Red's character fits in well enough as it generally shows a lone wolf attitude, he takes place in quick draws, rides horses, has a heavy arsenal--but, it's all been done before (think Clint Eastwood, lol). I?d definitely find it more interesting to see the opposite of that, and how it would respond to the type of situations Red would face in his world.

Not too much on game play to add on I'm afraid, seems basic and quite unpolished in some parts. Despite the story line and whatnot, RDR is still just a shoot 'em up, I'd prefer the likes of Hitman to it any day of the week.[/COLOR]

Hmmm I've only played a little just as Blue here....and well I have to agree with his conclusions. As much as I like Rock star it just doesn't excite me all that much...and it seems too much like GTA but without all of the freedom.

The fighting action could really use and overhaul...its a bit clumsy when you start out and you still have a feeling of it when you get used to the controls.

The storyline as far as I could tell was very good though, as well as the graphics I would no doubt rent it before buying it though

just to make sure you're into it.

[QUOTE=BlueYoshi][COLOR=Teal]I only had the chance to play the game for a short while really, but so far I?m under the impression that it's just another typical 'Wild West' implementation?

Rockstar have adapted the western physique quite well though, they haven't made any short cuts in its development seeing as you [I]are[/I] in the third person mode, giving them the chance to show off more of the surroundings as well as Red himself.

It's hard to bring realistic visuals of the Wild West to game play along with the reference of many other Cowboy related films; after all, it was a ruthless era and was hard for many of the inhabitants, so the whole idea of sheriffs and bandits support that fact. Given this, I think Red's character fits in well enough as it generally shows a lone wolf attitude, he takes place in quick draws, rides horses, has a heavy arsenal--but, it's all been done before (think Clint Eastwood, lol). I?d definitely find it more interesting to see the opposite of that, and how it would respond to the type of situations Red would face in his world.

Not too much on game play to add on I'm afraid, seems basic and quite unpolished in some parts. Despite the story line and whatnot, RDR is still just a shoot 'em up, I'd prefer the likes of Hitman to it any day of the week.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[size=1]I do agree on the shoot em' up stuff and some of your views like a basic "Wild West" game. But when you get further into the game it gets alot better. You have more story line and you arent just the "Clint Eastwood" of the game.

But other than that, I have to say that you are basically right. But I still think that is a fun game to play, especially when in a duel.[/size]

[color=darkred][SIZE=2][font=verdana]Not the biggest Rockstar fan to say the least. . but I will admit that I was impressed by the game. Sure, it could have been a lot better, but there were quite a few levels that kept my interest, the 'bounty hunter' game (replay old levels to unlock people/cheats) was pretty fun, and added a new challenge. . I enjoyed playing the multi-player levels. . we would just sit around for hours playing the 'hold-em' style match. . whatever. . vs. a couple computer characters. It kept us entertained for the night (I say us, because my friend rented it to test out).

Anyways, I would recommend people to rent the game. . some of the levels get stale fast, but some of them are entertaining. . I especially enjoy how they use western weapons from around that time. Nothing really fancy, and the accuracy isn't always dead on, unless you stand totally still. . it's a nice change from the 90 shot (or whatever) clips in most modern/futuristic games. . I particularly like how some of the two shot shotguns really make you appreciate using cover. . I don't really use cover in most games now, so it's nice to be reminded what those boxes and windows and sides of buildings are for ^_^ [/SIZE][/color][/font]

Am i the only one that owns the game seems like all you have only played once or twice, for me i beat the game. I love this game it was fun, i think of it as a max payne in the western era becasue of the dead eye function that slows things down just max payne.
There is only one downside i can think of , my brother beat it and unlocked almost every thing you can unlock but for some reason his file got erased not once but twice now i dont know if that is becasue of the game or his memory card or what but its sucks for him,but overall i liked the game and everything it was awesome.

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]I just picked it up today and have played it maybe an hour or two. Its an okay game I just wish there was some story between chapters maybe im just not far enough. I picked it up for X-Box because I heard it has an extra level, better graphical detail, faster load times, and is X-Box Live aware ( means youc an be invited to play X-Box live titles while playing). It is more then I thought it would be when I saw the trailer a few years back but it doesnt seem like a groundbreaking monumental title, I am having fun though.[/SIZE][/COLOR]