OtakuBoards

Equality in the United States?

Inari

CHW, I'd have to say that yes, I have noticed a difference in how people percieve me, not just because or racial or religious beliefs (that's a big part of it though). I'm of Arab descent, and with the recent goings on in the world, that has led to what i believe is part of the cause of my Job Hunting Woes. I'm also a muslim, which while it doen't put me at odds with my christian classmates and neighbors, does make me see things differently than they do at times. I've learned to deal with that though... one of the things that makes me a bit mad is discrimination that doesn't have to do with race or religion: has anyone ever been treated differently because of their percieved intelligence level? I'm talking about either being percieved as mentally challened, or as being percieved as being percieved as mentally superior. I've often (more than I like, actually) know that I've been treated differently because I can do things that some people can't, or percieve that which they do not comprehend (I don't mean that in a smug way, i just don't know how else to put it). Has anyone else known this to happen to them?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what [b]outlawstar69[/b] is talking about. I'm not arrogant about it or anything, but I will admit that I am a tad bit smarter than most people in my area. Just for being in English 11 Honors, while being only in the tenth grade, I'm instantly labeled as a snotty rich kid, which I definitely am not. Especially not rich. This also brings me the label of "geek", which is by and large absolutely true, and I'll admit it.

As for the religious discrimination, well... Don't really have that problem (personally, anyways), but only because I actively avoid the problem. My area is predominantly Christian, so it's a big to-do when there's somebody who doesn't subscribe to the Judeo-christian norm (I should know- I'm Buddhist). It's not quite active discrimination as much as something that causes one to be isolated and looked down upon as a bad influence or something.