OtakuBoards

Chronicles of Riddick

vegeta rocker

I was wondering if anyone around here has seen it yet, it was a pretty good movie.
There were a few things about it but i think it was well done so i will overlook the bad parts.

I won't give any spoilers about the story but i will bring up some of the cinematography and compositing. The cinematography was alright, but the flash panning during the fighting was a little crazy. I guess it kind of works for it and gives this frantic tempo.

My friend Jacque is in computer animation and she brought up some things i also noticed slightly. When they are in certain areas where there is intense orange, the color correction is a bit off. In other words, you can tell they aren't really there.
But it makes up for it that they use so much orange since most of the movie is tinted purple. Complimentary colors you see, and very gorgeous.

But we were both nit picking and the film was great so i strongly reccomend it.
Though I liked pitch black a bit more, and they have re-released Pitch Black with a new Chronicles of Riddick slipcover.

[color=teal]I haven't seen the film yet, and neither have I seen Pitch Black, but I guess I'd have to get use to Vin Diesel prior to that, heh--he's a poor actor in my eyes. Before anything I'd like to get the chance to have a go at the game that was released for the Xbox that relates to the COR in storyline and other features.

Also, an animated version of Riddick is set to be released later in July and will feature Vin Diesel's voice acting. It's called Dark Fury and it basically replicates the plot hole involving Riddick and his attempt to escape from the prison he's being held at. Apparently, it was made to give viewers a bird's eye view of the original film and its casting. The same was done for the Van Helsing movie, even though it was originally a Japanese anime I suppose it proved as a nice little side addition to the overall instalment.[/color]

The movie was not bad but there could have been some more history to it. The story was o.k. but it was too simple. There needs to be more depth to it. There should be a prequel or at least a sequel. It seemed like it was aimed toward younger audiences.

But all in all it was not a waste of time to go.

Shippou

[color=teal]Chronicles of Riddick [i]is[/i] the prequel to Pitch Black, so if you want your history reverting to the main feats of COR you'd be better off watching Pitch Black first. Also, there's a sequel to Pitch Black that's to be released soon, but I forgot it's name... don't worry it will come back tot me, I'll just edit this post when it does, heh.[/color]

[quote name='BlueYoshi][color=teal]Chronicles of Riddick [i]is[/i'] the prequel to Pitch Black, so if you want your history reverting to the main feats of COR you'd be better off watching Pitch Black first. Also, there's a sequel to Pitch Black that's to be released soon, but I forgot it's name... don't worry it will come back tot me, I'll just edit this post when it does, heh.[/color][/quote]

No, that's incorrect. Pitch Black precedes Chronicles of Riddick. The fact that this is a sequel is evident in how Kyra has aged since Pitch Black [spoiler](she was originally the young girl who masqueraded as a boy).[/spoiler] The only true prequel to Pitch Black is the Xbox video game.

The other film you're referring to, is an anime entitled "Dark Fury" that links the two films.

I can understand your mistake relating to the ordering of these movies. Because of these various COR installments being released nearly simultaneously, the timeline can become easily confused. So, I know where you're coming from.

[color=teal]Yeah you're right. I got that information from IGN and with them being a games site mainly, I got a bit confused with what they were trying to say.

[quote]The title "The Chronicles of Riddick" is the name of the upcoming summer sequel film, and Vivendi-Universal is in production on a videogame prequel due out around the same time currently under the working title "Chronicles of Riddick" (working off the name of the film to form a sandwiching saga that get in on both sides of Riddick's story) due out around the same time.[/quote]

Okay, I was completely misled by this quote because I didn't read it properly. Once again, Charles was right, the quote above states the Xbox game is the prequel to Pitch Black, and the film Chronicles of Riddick [I]is[/I] the sequel. Sorry 'bout that.[/color]

Shippou i'm not really sure what you mean when you say there should be a prequel.
Pitch Black happens before it, so im not sure what else you could mean.

And Van Helsing was based off the original story not the anime.
Though the anime might have had a little influence.

[color=indigo]I actually thought that The Chronicles of Riddick was a pretty enjoyable movie, as was Pitch Black. The Chronicles of Riddick had the nice balance of action and sci-fi that I was expecting and the plot was engaging even though it wasn?t outstanding. Although it lacked the Alien-esque suspense of Pitch Black it was a good attempt at an epic sci-fi movie. My only real complaint is that the movie didn?t delve into the Necro-whatevers enough.

I also thought that Vin Diesel fit the role of Riddick (again) nicely. Though he is far from being the world?s best actor, I think he usually does an adequate job in most of his roles (I thought he was really good in Boiler Room).

I?d like to play the video game just to see if it continues (or adds to) the plot (and because I heard it was ?wicked cool, [i]wicked[/i]!?), but I seriously doubt I would want to [b]read[/b] anything in order to further the saga.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
it was good, i was pleasently suprised.i liekd pitch black, but cor was even ebtter than that. diesel is awesome in this role, i think it fits him the best of any ones he has taken. i will definately follow up on the series with the game. what was your favorite part of the movie?

I thought the movie was....alright...they didn't really explain the relationship between kiara and riddic..there diffinitly should've been a prequel to the movie or gone more indeph in that part.....the storyline was also kinda rushed so they could focus more on the special effects and fighting scenes (which, I admit were pretty impressive.) I thought riddick's eyes were awesome if i can i wanna get contacts like that!!

also did anyone notice that one of the characters from riddick was also from the lord of the rings: Eoamer or something like that, Eowyns brother