OtakuBoards

Prophecy [ PG - SL ]

terra

[COLOR=MediumTurquoise][i]So many people had gone up the hill that Lace and Avlen had decided to do nothing more than sew a bit and sit under the trees. Lace was planning on doing more of the sitting actually, but the concept remained. She opened the case of clothing and brought out her mother's wedding dress. The ivory was beautiful, the collar and sleeves unfrayed, but the hem was in disarray. What a shame.

Avlen had just settled down and begun her repairs on the gown when she saw a young man with a canteen dangling from his pack. He appeared to be calm and alert, which was odd considering he had the clothing of a student. That, translating in her brain to mean he was also an alcoholic. But for now, he looked quite fresh and restored. How odd.

He saw her sitting underneath a maple tree and and walked a bit closer. She smiled up at him, sunlight shivering down her long hair, giving her the air of an angel.[/i]

"May I help you sir?"

"Don't call me sir. Just Falstaff."

"Falstaff then. How many I help you?"

[i]He considered the question for a breif moment, then sat down next to her, peering at the hem she was setting. The bright needle in her hand flashed in the sun while her fingers deftly held the thread to the slippery satin. Several flashes later, she came to the end of the threads and twirled them around the point of the needle, pressed it down against the fabric, set her nail on the threads and slid everything through. She clipped the knot with a tiny pair of scissors and shook the folds of fabric.[/i]

"Well?"

"What's your name?"

"Avlenn Arboreal."[/COLOR]

[color=indigo]?I suppose you are going to chase down that menacing dragon and try to kill it in an attempt to win fame or fortune or the hand of some beautiful woman somewhere,? Avlenn said with more than a little mock sincerity.

Falstaff looked into the girl?s eyes; his face was contorted into an expression of disbelief. ?Why the hell would I want to do something stupid like that?? he replied.

Avlenn?s hand slowed as she sewed around an intricate design along the hem of the dress. Falstaff was amazed that she could carry a conversation at all why doing such deft and complicated work.

?Well, isn?t that what young men desire? Adventure, romance, danger, intrigue?? said the girl without ever looking up from her sewing. ?That is why all of the other young men seem to have chased after the king?s guards.?

?Really? They chased after the dragon because they crave adventure, romance, danger, and intrigue? I thought I was because they were suicidal. Personally, I have never been interested in adventure, danger, and intrigue and every beautiful woman that I have had a romantic relationship with always ends up running off with on of my mates. No, I think I will steer clear of the dragon. By the way, where is this dragon located right now??

The girl stopped sewing for a moment and pointed to a far off hill in the distance.

?Some where in that direction,? answered Avlenn. ?At least I think it is in that direction, that is where the soldiers were running anyhow.?

?Well then, I think I shall hurry off in the opposite direction. Would you care to come along??

?Not really,? Avlenn said as she returned to her sewing.

Falstaff didn?t feel the least bit put off. He actually preferred being alone; however, he knew that it would be impolite not to ask.

?Well, then, have a nice life,? Falstaff said pleasantly as he walked away from the hill.

After walking for ten or so minutes, Falstaff found himself in a wooded area. The friendly trees that shaded him from the hot son now seemed spooky and ominous. The pleasant chirping of sparrows had been replaced by the violent shrieking of cicada. Falstaff couldn?t help but grow a bit nervous.

The path twisted and twined, and, even though the woods didn?t grow darker, Falstaff felt increasingly despondent with every step. He wasn?t sure how long he had been trapped in the woods or how far he had walked, but by the time he saw the sunlit opening his brow was saturated with sweat and he was breathing heavily.

Falstaff walked into the clearing, relieved to have escaped the woods terrifying grasp. He looked around and his relief vanished. To the west, not 100 meters away, an army gathered, and to the east, not fifty meters away, a gigantic pillar of smoke plumed from the mouth of a very upset dragon.[/color]

[COLOR=SlateGray]Imric sat back in the sun and smiled up at the sky, he had tended to an old man with the limited amount of medical knowledge he had and had given him his blessing, at least he was only suffering from a high fever, it would pass soon.

The Priest heard the shout of 'Dragon!', but didn?t flinch. Dragons where such trivial things to deal with. But then he realised something. His father had wanted him to be a strong fighter, but Imric had waved it off. But after seeing some of the rounds in the fight tournament, his own yearning to be strong had risen.

The young man stood up and dusted his black robes off; he walked back into his tent to get changed yet again.

After 10 minutes, he emerged clad in brown, loose fitting pants, a sleeveless white top and black boots, with his Crucifix weapon in hand.
The family next to him looked surprised to see a Priest with such a weapon, even if it did suit him.

"Mister? Where are ya going?" the small boy from before sounded worried.
"Oh, just to slay a Dragon." Imric laughed and flicked his hair over his shoulder, before walking away towards the forest where he presumed the Dragon would be. How hard could killing a dumb Dragon be?

After a few minutes of walking in the forest, the over ambitious Priest realised that in actual fact, he didn?t know where he was going...until he saw the smoke.

"Finally!" he ran towards what looked to be a clearing but once he entered, the most awesome sight was before him.
An army against a distressed and angry dragon, Imric didn't like those odds, so what chance did he have?
He then noticed another man standing and staring at the sight,
"Ah, excuse me?"
The man turned,
"Yes?" he sounded equally nervous as Imric.
"Um...my name is Imric Connor....do you think we stand a chance at all?"[/COLOR]

[font=Trebuchet MS]Elanna was panting slightly by the time she arrived at the hills; they'd been a little further than she expected. She trekked up one of them among all the other peering citizens, ducking between couples and sliding seamlessly past the bigger folk so that she was almost at the front of the crowd, which was barely being held back by a line of implacable, uniformed troops.

But when Elanna saw the thing looming up behind them, she stopped her jostling and just stared.

The dragon was much more impressive than those featured in her grandparents' tales. It looked as tall as a three-story house, perhaps even taller when it reared up on its hind legs, which it was doing right now. And it also happened to be roaring, a noise that made the entire crowd cower back simultaneously and cover their ears, even the king's soldiers. Its scales were a dirty green that were surprisingly beautiful when they caught the light, which they did now as the dragon lashed forward with its entire head and neck, forcing the group of soldiers in front of it to scatter. Elanna winced as it effectively headbutted one of the soldiers, denting his shield and throwing him backwards into a nearby tree.

"Oh my God," Elanna gasped, pointing. "There's someone over there!"

The crowd seemed to hear her as one, as heads turned and more outcries were heard. Elanna squinted at the two men who looked like they'd come out of the forest to stand without the comforting line of soldiers between them and the dragon. Oddly enough, they looked familiar ... and she realized that one of them was Imric, the priest she'd been travelling with. And the other looked vaguely familiar as well, though she couldn't place him.

"What are they doing over there?" Elanna muttered to herself, maneuvering through the crowd in their general direction almost subconsciously. She kept watch on the the dragon at the same time. It looked like a group of soldiers had recovered and were in formation, moving towards the impressive monster with their swords drawn and their shields up. She hoped upon hope they would be able to do something about the thing ... though now that she thought about it, she didn't want to see it killed, either.

Looking again at the dragon, wondering how such a thought could have entered her mind, she noticed something slightly odd about it. Though it appeared that no soldier had yet touched the thing, there were already marks along the dragon's back that vaguely looked like sword wounds.

She forgot about it as she found the end of the boundary of soldiers, at the edge of the small forest bordering the trees. Consciously trying not to think about the repercussions, Elanna began running through the forest towards the dragon, Imric, and the other man.[/font]

[COLOR=MediumTurquoise][i]Lace looked up from the baby at her breast and smiled.[/i]

"Refreshingly honest wasn't he?"

"....I think I'll follow him in a few moments. My scalp is tingling."

[i]She laughed to herself and snipped off the last thread. Then she walked baclk to the tent, holding her tools in one hand and with the dress draped over her shoulders. With her toes she opened the chest of clothing and set it the fabric down. Then she locked everything and came back out into the dazzling sunlight. Lace smiled once more and held her baby gently.[/i]

"Do you think he has potential?"

"I think everyone has potential Lace."

[i]Avlenn Arboreal followed the footsteps Falstaff had made, moving very quietly, slowly, pulling her spotless white tunic out of the way, and padding through the forest in bare feet alone. For some reason, she didn't feel a single bit of prickle or fuss from the loam and fern underfoot. Instead, she felt the breezes from the clearing and noticed the way the sun dappled a pattern of shadows on her clothing.

Thinking these absolutely pleasing thoughts, she continued along the path, noticing Falstaff's complete lack of trail skills. Not only had he meandered willy nilly through several perfectly thick thickets, he had also completely ignored the path. While it wasn't a straight line, it was definetly noticeable. At least to Avlenn. Instead of seeing TREES and BUSHES, Avlenn saw underground springs, rushing through the forest. Her second sight meant that she avoided the weak points in the earth, but that also meant slogging mercilessly through the very noticeable footprints of Falstaff.

Then, without further notice, she reached the clearing and saw both green dragon and a great deal of hummanity.[/i]

"Big. . ...isn't it?"

[i]The words came to her unbidden, flowing from her tongue like water splashed across a table top. But nobody heard them but her. The dragon was focused on the army and completely ignoring Falstaff, a preist, and the running form of Elanna. Soldiers seemed to be the key to distractions, but that didn't stop her from charging towards the school boy and the ...preist..... Avlenn paused. There was a great deal of water in the forest, but only a few trickles heading towards the dragon. If he was smart, he'd get away from the forest and rampage the humans, causing calamity and general chaos. But since the soldiers were smart, she figured, they'd drive the dragon into the forest and hope the wetness of the woods would spare it from fire.[/i][/COLOR]