OtakuBoards

Favorite Shounen-Ai/Yaoi Titles

Miryoku

Oh, how it warms my heart to see this thread resurrected. :catgirl:

Hm, suggestions... there's so much BL out there nowadays that it you might want to narrow down the kind of stories you like first. Are you looking for more for comedy or drama? Angst? Sweet romance?

~Dagger~

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Secret_Yaoi_Fan
I'm not that picky right now, any kind of suggestion would be nice.And I'll check them out the next time I'm at the bookstore.

I don't know how comfortable you are with explicitness, so here are what should be some "safer" titles. I can't guarantee that any of them are totally clean, though. In fact, they probably aren't. :animeswea

[B]Desire[/B]: I didn't love this, but a lot of other people swear by it. High school love triangle. Just one volume long.

[B]Rin[/B]: Three volumes long, although the first volume feels like a complete story by itself. Set in high school and revolves around members of the archery club. The main character is very insecure.

[B]Little Butterfly[/B]: Incredibly sweet, refreshing, delightful story about first love set against a background of realistic domestic problems. The main characters are in middle school, but they were aged up to high school in the English translation. Three volumes.

[B]Il Gato Sul G[/B]: Pretty serious. A love triangle (or quadrangle?) involving a character with multiple personalities. Focuses on the pressure of being a violin prodigy. Two volumes so far.

[B]Kissing[/B]: One volume; about the difficulties involved in transitioning from friendship to romance.

[B]Seven[/B]: An anthology of three or four linked stories. I fell head over heels for the first story (and the final one, which continues it). I didn't care for the quasi-incest that came in the middle.

[B]Same Cell Organism[/B]: Short stories (some related, some not). Very light and ethereal and atmospheric. Might not be satisfying if you're looking for plot.

[b]You & Harujion[/b]: One volume; kind of a May-December romance.

[b]Little Crybaby[/b]: An anthology from Harujion's manga-ka. Not as insipid as its title made me fear.

~Dagger~

FAKE and Hero Heel are topping my lists right now.

Interesting note about Little Butterfly too. I had no idea they were aged up. Actually they kinda looked like they were in High school so I am surprised to find out they were supposed to be in Middle School in the original version.

I don't normally care when companies do that, but in Little Butterfly's case, I feel like their behavior and their moments of immaturity make more sense once you realize that they're younger. The "trying to get away from family" theme carries more weight, too.

Dunno if I mentioned [b]Shout Out Loud[/b] yet. It's good, although I have trouble re-reading it because the couple I really liked got a less-than-happy ending.

~Dagger~

I've read chapter 0. With a premise that should've been hysterical, it wasn't actually funny. Middling art. [b]Tonari no 801-chan[/b] (which started as a blog, was released in graphic novel form & is getting a live action adaptation) is a lot more charming.

~Dagger~