OtakuBoards

Favorite Shounen-Ai/Yaoi Titles

Miryoku

I'm more into the fluffy BL than the full-blown yaoifests, so my favorites are Gravitation, Legal Drug, Gravitation, Loveless, Gravitation, La Esperanca, and Gravitation. Sometimes I like Gravitation too. XD

Okay, anyone who knows anything about me knows I'm totally obsessed with Gravitation... seriously, don't even get me started. Just leave it with a nice lil' "kill me shining". I don't think anyone's list is complete without Gravi, really.

Legal Drug... Clamp. Pretty boys. Put two and two together and you've got one of my favorite manga of all time. I just wish Clamp would continue it, though... from what I hear, it's been postponed. -_-

Loveless is really sweet, angsty, action-packed, and mysterious all at once. Even if it wasn't shounen-ai it'd still be a great series, it just wouldn't draw as many fans. Oh, and it has cat ears. Did I mention that?

La Esperanca is really cute. I like the art styles in it. I only have the first volume so far so I can't say much about it, but I like what I've seen... is it worth it to get volume 2, does anyone know?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

La Esperanca volume 2 is worth it, although it doesn't develop the Robert/Georges relationship any further, besides them becoming more like regular friends. There are four chapters in it; the first is about Henri, while the second involves a new character called Chris. The last two are a side story about Erwin, his roommate (Joshua) and a girl from outside the school. Despite appearances, the side story isn't a simple het romance. I liked it a lot--it's very clever and funny in how it plays with your expectations.

Another aspect of the series I enjoy is that despite Georges' purity and virtue and so forth, his blind faith in people isn't always affirmed. So instead of seeming like some perfect angel, he just seems stupid and naive, and even he realizes this. That keeps him from being too annoying.

~Dagger~

[quote]Another aspect of the series I enjoy is that despite Georges' purity and virtue and so forth, his blind faith in people isn't always affirmed. So instead of seeming like some perfect angel, he just seems stupid and naive, and even he realizes this. That keeps him from being too annoying.[/quote]

I agree... I was terrified that he might have what I like to call the "Sakura Kinomoto complex"- a character who's so perfectly perfect that you just wanna slap 'em across the face, but he's not. Georges is a real person. He recognizes his own faults and stuff.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to pick up vol. 2 next time I have 12 bucks on hand.

wow, i just read all the replies on this thread and there are lots.
I went off yaoi mangas for a little while that why i didn't not comment here, mostly cos there seemed to be a pattern starting to ermerge in every manga i read
:animeswea. It seemed like every manga i read came under a kinda catoregy, it was either, school based, work based, doctor based, pets based, children based, demon based,sports based or other. i actually started to look into shota mangas, which to my suprise, interested me and that is where i have been for the past like 2 months xD

but i have started reading again, and i read [B]only the ring finger knows[/B] :rolleyes: talk about a yawn, it was so boring i started to hate it, it was ssoo obivous what was going to happen. I really got into i very good yaoi manga you might of heard of it it's called [B]No money[/B]. Very good manga indeed.

I am just waiting for little butterfly to come out :animecry: i have been waiting ages for it, almost like 4 months now T-T and i really want it badly. i also want to see the 10 volume of [B]neon genesis evangelion[/B] because aparently it has a scene where kaoru comes on to shinji. XD

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='ScreamingSquid']Has anyone read anything by Lily Hoshino?[/quote]
I've read one or two of her one-shots, but not anything that's been released in the US. She has an interesting and distinctive art style, but it doesn't really appeal to me.

Anyway, though, I just finished the first volume of [b]The Art of Loving[/b] (yeah, the first--I had no idea that this was a two volume title!). I liked it quite a bit, and I was especially pleased to see that it has at least one major connection to Taishi Zaou and Eiki Eiki's [b]Color[/b]. In fact, the short omake chapter at the end was another collaboration between them! DMP did a great job of translating all of the extras and freetalks at the end; as a major Zaou/Eiki fangirl, I was very grateful.

As for the actual story, it's definitely the darkest Eiki Eiki manga I've read. The characters are very interesting, and the main couple gets bonus points for being reversible. Most of the plot seems to be framed as a flashback, with one character narrating the present day material and the other character narrating the flashback.

Because almost the entire volume takes place in the past, you really get into the head of the flashback narrator. This is important, because he's incredibly twisted, at least on the inside. The manga doesn't make light of or romanticize the fact that he's an unmitigated jerk, either, which gave me that lovely "watching a train wreck" feeling as a I read it--I couldn't stop turning the pages! Seriously, though, I commend Eiki Eiki for not shying away from such a harsh (and almost frightening) portrayal of her protagonist.

Amusingly, the reason that Taishi Zaou isn't involved in the series proper is because the protagonist creeped her out. On that note, though, DMP used male pronouns when referring to her. I'm wondering if that's from actual knowledge of her gender, or if it's just a guess based on her pen name. It'll be interesting to see what they use for her shoujo pen name (Tsuda Mikiyo), as they've licensed both [B]The Day of Revolution[/B] and [B]Princess Princess[/B].

I also read the second chapter of [b]Fake Fur[/b] recently. It was great, of course; I love the simple, poignant grace of Satomi Yamagata's writing. And now I have [b]Earthian[/b] volume 3 waiting for me--I'm looking forward to it!

~Dagger~

• 5 weeks later...
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I have read Golden Cain,Yellow, The Skyscrappers of Oz, Desire, Gravitation,Love Mode,Eerie Querie...that being all I can remember off the top of my head, yet I know that I've read much more. But I must say that Golden Cain is the sweetest of them all in my book. In fact it was the first manga of yoai I ever read and after all the manga I have read it remains number one.

There's this new book out about the French Renaissance called Cantarella I believe, is steadily crawling its way up my list of favorites, has anybody else read it by chance if so please do give the true name of it I believe I have mispelled it.
[/COLOR]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest temari64
I'd recommend Yami no Matsuei (Descendants of Darkness). Great characters, art work is amazing, storyline is awesome. Right now, though, the manga is getting kind of blah...

I'd also recommend the anime. I think there are only 13 episodes out right now on DVD, but they are very nice. (I love Tsuzuki!!!)

I'm not really a shounen-ai/yaoi fan, but this series is so well written!!

• 1 month later...
Just a quick note to say that [b]Okane ga Nai[/b], [b]Kirei Papa[/b] and [b]Ikoku Irokoi Romantan[/b] are all being made into anime. This depresses me, to be frank, since I hate Okane ga Nai, don't care for Ikoku Irokoi Romantan and can remember almost nothing about Kirei Papa (apparently it didn't make too much of an impression on me, heh). Why can't they produce an anime based on a BL manga that I actually [i]like[/i]? :animecry:

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]Just a quick note to say that [b]Okane ga Nai[/b], [b]Kirei Papa[/b] and [b]Ikoku Irokoi Romantan[/b] are all being made into anime. This depresses me, to be frank, since I hate Okane ga Nai, don't care for Ikoku Irokoi Romantan and can remember almost nothing about Kirei Papa (apparently it didn't make too much of an impression on me, heh). Why can't they produce an anime based on a BL manga that I actually [i]like[/i]? :animecry:

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]
No money is being made into an anime???
this is news to me. I think that no money (okani ga nai in japanese) is very good, the whole idea for the manga over all is very good but there are some scenes in the manga that i question. I was waiting for the 5th volume to be scanlated or for it to be lisenced so that i could buy it. I also think that the style of the manga is very artistic compared to new releases such as princess princess, which i feel looks rather sad.

Dagger may i suggest little butterfly, it rather shouen Ai but it has a great plot and lovable characters.

[COLOR=#D55555]---->intermission<----

Ah, my favorite yaoi manga would be Ayane Yamano's [i]Crimson Spell[/i] and the few Final Fantasy doujins ([i]GunMania[/i] and [i]Sweet Pain[/i]) she made. Her selling point has got to be the way she makes comedies out of her characters' (sexual) frustrations.

The way she draws her pretty boys is a plus point as well.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=duoikari]
Dagger may i suggest little butterfly, it rather shouen Ai but it has a great plot and lovable characters.[/QUOTE]
I picked up the first volume a little while back (and loved it, of course). Hinako Takanaga is really good at funny fluff, but Little Butterfly's [i]slightly[/i] more serious edge makes it stand above her other work. Definitely a great rec, knowing my tastes. ;)

[quote name='Delta][COLOR=#D55555]Ah, my favorite yaoi manga would be Ayane Yamano's [i]Crimson Spell[/i] and the few Final Fantasy doujins ([i]GunMania[/i] and [i]Sweet Pain[/i']) she made.[/COLOR][/quote]
I read both of those yesterday, right after finishing FFVIII. The part in GunMania when [spoiler]Squall, Zell and Irvine do their characteristic victory dances wearing only bath towels[/spoiler] is too hilarious. I also just love how she draws Squall.

~Dagger~

i was a bit disapointed with little butterfly, although it was very good, it lacked a yaoi scene, but i've heard from a freind in german that there is some yaoi scenes in the 2 volume. (which i am going to buy)

I do love her work, it's not only very artistic but the plots and characters are wonderful.

My current fav apart from littl butterfly is 'The tyrant who fell in love' with is a sequel or rather connection to 'changeller'. It was scanlated but it has now be licensed by Drama Queen, (which i am also planning to buy)

Another good one iby her is a manga that has a victor and a incubus, but i can't remember the name.

• 2 weeks later...
[color=darkblue][size=1]A lot of bookstores that sell manga and the like don't carry a lot of yuri titles (girl-girl relationships) because it hasn't been licensed very much, but if I'm correct, they're trying to pick up here lately. Dagger would know more about it than I would.

Anyway, I do like Gravitation, but it is a yaoi (or boy-boy relationship manga), so since you say that you don't like that sort of thing, it may not be your cup of tea.

Also, there are plenty of male-female relationship manga on the shelves. It's just a matter of taste, heh.

Oh, and Shiros_Hime, I direct you to the [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=54431&highlight=Loveless]Loveless[/url] thread to talk about it proper. ^_~ [/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Lady Katana][color=darkblue][size=1]A lot of bookstores that sell manga and the like don't carry a lot of yuri titles (girl-girl relationships) because it hasn't been licensed very much, but if I'm correct, they're trying to pick up here lately. Dagger would know more about it than I would.

Anyway, I do like Gravitation, but it is a yaoi (or boy-boy relationship manga), so since you say that you don't like that sort of thing, it may not be your cup of tea.

Also, there are plenty of male-female relationship manga on the shelves. It's just a matter of taste, heh.

Oh, and Shiros_Hime, I direct you to the [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=54431&highlight=Loveless]Loveless[/url] thread to talk about it proper. ^_~ [/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. gravitation is sold at walden books. It has manga from letter a-z.

• 4 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Bleeding Soul]I love Gravitation as you can see by my signature.
I like lots of other Yaoi mangas. They're my favorite kind for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Alot of people like gravitation for some reason, properly cos it was one of the first yaoi anime that was actaully well drawn and a had a decent plot line as well. But the manga is very different to the anime and i think that was a big left down for me.

Although the gravitation remix doujishi are very good, even tho most of them are raw.

I also heard that there is more then just 1 volume of sukisho, so if possible, can anyone tell me what company liscened it???

I'm also very sad atm, i got banned from Aarinfantasy and 'Little butterfly' was delayed, but my friend in german tells me that it does contain yaoi but it's not very graphic, which is understandable for the type of yaoi manga that it's trying to be. I also heard that [B]The tyrant who fell in love[/B] is going to be released by Drama Queen in Nov. :animesmil so that will be something i can get for my birthday.

• 3 weeks later...
Walden Books does sell gravitation. It's rated OT. I have read the novel and I want the manga like a man wants a date. Recently I have let out of the closet that I'm
Bi-sexual. So decided to pick up a novel for ELA class and poof in front of me was Gravitation the manga and the novel. I want to read the next book[U] Temptations[/U], I heard from one of my friends that the anime and manga show Shuichi Shindou and Eiri Yuki having sex. Is it true? I need to know soon. I have to read 12 books for ELA. So far I've read Fullmetal Alchemist: the land of sand, and Gravitation:the novel. My next exploit is the day my butt went psycho.

[quote name='Split Keyblader']I heard from one of my friends that the anime and manga show Shuichi Shindou and Eiri Yuki having sex.[/quote]
All the TV show contains is [spoiler]a shot of them sinking down together,[/spoiler] so although there's implied sex, it's really quite a chaste series. The OVA has a [spoiler]dream sequence[/spoiler] that is considerably more racy, but it's played for laughs. While the manga has a lot of sexual humor and situations, it's not liable to get anyone hot under the collar, since it's mostly meant to be funny.

Interestingly, Gravitation's manga-ka has also done a long series of extremely explicit, PWP Gravitation doujinshi. Normally I'm all over the doujinshi that comes straight from the author of a particular series, but truthfully, some of Murakami's stuff is a little too much even for me, and I've been desensitized to this kind of stuff. So if you want to seek out the doujinshi online or whatever, I would advise you to think carefully first.

EDIT: I find the Remix doujinshi to be less objectionable than the Megamix doujin series, which were drawn later.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]All the TV show contains is [spoiler]a shot of them sinking down together,[/spoiler] so although there's implied sex, it's really quite a chaste series. The OVA has a [spoiler]dream sequence[/spoiler] that is considerably more racy, but it's played for laughs. While the manga has a lot of sexual humor and situations, it's not liable to get anyone hot under the collar, since it's mostly meant to be funny.

Interestingly, Gravitation's manga-ka has also done a long series of extremely explicit, PWP Gravitation doujinshi. Normally I'm all over the doujinshi that comes straight from the author of a particular series, but truthfully, some of Murakami's stuff is a little too much even for me, and I've been desensitized to this kind of stuff. So if you want to seek out the doujinshi online or whatever, I would advise you to think carefully first.

EDIT: I find the Remix doujinshi to be less objectionable than the Megamix doujin series, which were drawn later.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]
hahaha, i was waiting for someone on the otakuboards to read the megamix doujishi.

I've read all 3, at least the 3 that i have and i like the one with [spoiler] yuki as a kid and then he has sex with those two other guys, and at the end you find out that shuichi was watching it all of tape [/spoiler] I think it's called the panda gravitation megamix. But i have to admit they do go into too much detail over the whole 'sexually acts', it's almost like the way Po-ju does his sex scenes but on a much bigger scale.

I thought that some other mangaka did the Gravitation doujishi? i never knew it was the actually mangaka that made the series, i believe she also has done several gamer's heaven doujishi which are portrayed in a similar way to the gravitation ones.

They are very hard to stomach though, i'm not really into that kind of smut [spoiler] especially when they show the penis actually inside the character and what the inside would look like[/spoiler] it's not nice and it's one thing that i don't like in mangas. It made it all seem too shotish and that's not gravitations style.

I did post about this but the thread went un answered. Does anyone know when the second volume of little butterfly is coming out. I ordered it off of amazon 2 days before it was due out and i still haven't got it. Amazon says it's been delayed does anyone know the reason why??

• 2 weeks later...
[font=Verdana][size=2]My friend recently got me into yaoi and so far I really think its cool. So far my favorite yaoi manga is Fake. My favorite character is Ryo. He's so cute! And the other main character named Dee is also cool but he's funny! :animesmil But also I just gotta into Gravitation too. I love the character Shuichi a lot!:animesmil Hopeful I get into Shounen-Ai soon. [/size][/font]

[color=darkblue][size=1]Techinically, you've got those backwards, MangaGirl, lol. Although it varies greatly from person to person, shounen-ai is typically the softer, more fluff-based works (Eerie Queerie!), while most folks associate the term yaoi with more hardcore things (like Happy Play).

Just thought I'd throw that in there. ^^;[/color][/size]

• 9 months later...
Guest Secret_Yaoi_Fan
Gravitation was my first shouen-Ai manga and it opened a whole world of manga to me. Now I just turned 18 (today in fact) so I can actually buy those Yaoi Manga that I'd been looking at and not be too hesitant because of what my parents might say (although they don't look at what manga I buy anywas...) I just started FAKE and love it I can't wait to go back to Borders and get vol. 2. I'm a true Yaoi Fan at heart but hid it from my family (some of my friends know about my love of yaoi though).

Any good suggestions on what I should read?

I've read Legal Drug, Gravitation (love it), Gravitation EX, tried Hands Off! but didn't like it too much, I tried Loveless (not too much love from me with that one either), and am currently reading FAKE