OtakuBoards

Christmas in New York City

Annie

[color=darkslateblue][size=1]Hello everyone. I had a pleasant Christmas. I spent all day in Manhattan with the mom, dad, and one of two little brothers. It was very cold and windy. And all of the people >.<

You watch movies based in NYC and you see tv shows in NYC. You find yourself (if you haven't been there) imagining what it would be like. I will tell you now, it's unreal. It's huge and you just can't shake the feeling of "Oh my, I'm actually here!" Some parts of Manhattan are smaller than movies and tv portray. Like the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree and iceskating rink. I was stunned to see how small it was. I've come baring the gifts of pictures to explain and show you all.

[url=http://img94.exs.cx/img94/7484/p73000149qh.th.jpg]The Radio City Music Hall[/url]

I got to get closer to the building, but I don't have the pictures of that.

[url=http://img94.exs.cx/img94/7955/p73000186gn.th.jpg]St. Peter's Cathedral[/url]

The cathedral is gorgeous, and was packed with people. I didn't get to go in because of the ridiculous line of people.

[url=http://img94.exs.cx/img94/2373/p73000206fa.th.jpg]The Rockefeller Center Christmas tree[/url]

Trust me, it is not that big. But it is lovely.

[url=http://img94.exs.cx/img94/327/p73000401tv.th.jpg]One side of Time Square[/url]
[url=http://img94.exs.cx/img94/39/p73000438ob.th.jpg]The other half[/url]

Yes, I was standing in the middle of Time Square. And it really is big. And I also saw the MTV building, but I don't think my dad took pictures of that.

[url=http://img94.exs.cx/img94/6145/p73000576dm.th.jpg]The USS Intrepid[/url]

Now, this ship is decommissioned, and is gargantuan. Unfortunately, we didn't go on board and look through it. But it was way to cold and windy on the waterfront. We plan to go back in the spring or summer to do that.

Well, there are pics of me on myO if you want to take a look. But I just wanted to share my travel with you all. If you have questions, please ask.[/color][/size]

Did you get to visit Broadway and see a show perchance? When I visited New York (it's been nearly 3 years now) I went and saw Les Miserables and it was pretty good IMO. Brodway as a whole is pretty sweet though.

And I really wish I could visit the city again. I agree with your feeling of it being "unreal" and huge. I live in Nebraska here so I don't get to see the really big city often and being in New York was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen in my entire life. No wonder people call it "The Greatest City in the World." I almost believe it.

[color=#9933ff]I'm going to be a pompous jerk and say that I live really close to NYC so I've been there a few times - in all four seasons.

However, I've only been there three times in winter, and once before the holidays. This year, I went to see the Rockettes on Thanksgiving Eve. One year, I saw Phantom of the Opera in February, but that doesn't really count because there's nothing holiday-ish about that. And the other time, I saw Rockefeller center and the ice skating rink (actually, I'm related to the late John and Nelson Rockefellers - I still think I need to buy it back from the Japanese. *_*) and St. Patricks Cathedral.

I'm really jealous of Annie though, because she still got to see more than me - I've never seen Times Square in winter (only once in summer), and I've never even been on the Intrepid. *is totally jealous* V_v;

Did you feel really happy that you were in NYC and seeing all these things? Every time I go there, I feel happy. Actually, the highlight of my life (so far) was when I went to NYC for the day with a friend from Japan and her cousin who lives in NYC. It makes me feel happy. Am I the only one who feels that way? *_*;[/color]

[color=darkslateblue][size=1]What made you a "pompous jerk"? I would be bored of the City too if I lived real close. I live about an hour north.

I did love being in the City. It did make me happy. Although, I wish I had someone dear to me there T_T It just felt kind of magical, the sort that you need someone you love (family doesn't count) to be there to share it with. [/color][/size]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1]I only got back from New York this morning....at 5 am T_T not pleasant...

I'll try find some pictures from my camera, because there really were some beautiful scenes, especially after it had snowed.

I went to midnight mass at St. Patrick's which was...tiring, but nice. The guy playing the organ was a bit much though, I thought I was at the Phantom of the Opera. Which brings me nicely to me next point.

I went to Broadway to see aformentioned play and it was bloody brilliant, best show I've ever seen, and I thought that Chicago was excellent.

Seriously, Broadway was something else all together, but the cold was way too much for me. I don't know how New Yorkers survive the winter ^_^;;[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#9933ff]I don't know - I felt like I was being a jerk by saying that I've been to New York a lot. I'm glad you don't think I'm a jerk. ^_^;

You live an hour away? Wow. I'm 30-45 min. away, depending on traffic. So you're just a little bit farther away from NYC than I am! I'm assuming you live in New York, then. I live in NJ - where our air and water is contaminated! but I'm 15 min. from the NY border via 287. And I found that out two months ago - really creepy. o_o;

Methuselah - *grin* Phantom was my first play actually. I'm glad it was. It really is awesome. ^_^[/color]

You guys live pretty close to New York there. I live here in the midwest so it was like 3 and a half hours of plane rides to get over there but that's alright, I got to see it at least once in my lifetime.

And by the way, how are you guys enjoying your death blizzards and freezing cold up there? Here in Nebraska, where you'd usually have more snow than you have up there right now, it's a nice 50+ degrees, maybe even hitting 60 pretty soon here. I know I'm enjoying it, for once in my life. Winter here is usually brutal.

Guest ChibiLady
I live really close to NYC, In fact, I live just of Broadway. My Christmas though was spent hiking around Costa Rica in a Contry Walkers program. It was... Interesting