OtakuBoards

The Other Side of the Coin [E]

Lilt

[b][font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]Hey, All. ^_^ I realized that I didn't post in ths forum very much, so I decided to put this up. It's a really old story that I wrote for who-knows-what-reason. Let me know what you think about it and if I should continue it or not. (And yes, I know that this type of story has been done a lot, but at the time I didn't.) Thanks for reading.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[size=2][color=darkorchid][/color][/size]
[center][b][font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]The Other Side of the Coin[/color][/size][/font][/b][/center]
[size=2][color=darkorchid][/color][/size]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid] A black-haired, pale teenage boy walked down the empty sidewalk, kicking all of the rocks that happened to be in his way. His name was Samuel Evenstone. He was thinking of all of the people who mispronounced his family?s last name. They always pronounced "even" with an "ee" sound and not like the e in "bed" like it?s supposed to be. It annoyed him when they did that, but it was understandable since this place wasn?t anything like the city where he was born; he missed San Francisco. Remembering the events of last night, he stopped and kicked the base of a red gumball machine angrily. Why did Beck have to be such an idiot? He didn?t do anything at all but she still yelled at him and told him to leave. When he noticed she was crying he tried to comfort her but she still told him to go. What did he ever do that made him deserve this? [i]"Girls have it so easy,"[/i] he thought; as he gave the gumball machine another kick.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#9932cc][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid] Wait a second?what was a gumball machine doing in the middle of a sidewalk? And since when were there any sidewalks in Backwater City? He noticed the little 25 cents sticker and inserted a quarter and turned the handle. Nothing happened. He tried another quarter, but still nothing came out.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]"Well, they say third time?s the charm."[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]He inserted his last quarter into the machine but it still didn?t give up any of the round, multi-colored candy-shelled gumballs inside its plastic head. He pounded it a few times with his fist and stepped back as it floated 3 feet above the sidewalk and started glowing strangely.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]"You are the Coin Giver, are you not?" A hollow, distant voice asked.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]Samuel looked around curiously to try to see who was talking to him.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]"In front of you."[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]He turned to the gumball machine and shook his head.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]"I know you don?t believe it, but it is I that is talking to you. The closest word you have in your language for my name is Chiclets. Please, do not run."[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]Samuel was slowly backing away from the machine.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]"What do you want from me?" He asked, nervously.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]"I am here to help you. You thought that the females of your species had it easy, did you not?"[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]"Uhh?"[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]"Well I can help you find out whether your statement was true, or completely false."[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]Three candies rolled down the machine?s plastic corkscrew slide, and Samuel picked them up and looked at them. Two of them were gumballs, but the third was some type of hard candy. One gumball had the symbol of mars printed on it, and the other had venus'.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=darkorchid]"Eat the female gumball if you want to find out what it?s like to be a girl. Don?t worry. It won?t be permanent. Just eat the male gumball to return back to normal. If you need my help for whatever reason, just lick that jawbreaker. But be careful not to lick it too much, or it will disappear before you know it."[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#9932cc][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#9932cc] The gumball machine faded away slowly, along with the sidewalk. Leaving Samuel standing alone, on the side of the street, with three strange candies in his hand.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#9932cc]He stared at the ordinary, pink gumball for a long time.
What?s the worst that can happen?" he thought and popped it into his mouth.[/color][/size][/font]