OtakuBoards

Why can't the world just leave video games alone

Guest Alchemist

[SIZE=1]I do agree with James when he says that there has to be a level of parental responsibility taken, and merely scapegoating their accountability and blaming it on a form of entertainment is a very poor response indeed. Yes I wholehearted agree with the having ratings on games, because let?s face it there is certain content in games that younger gamers shouldn?t see, it?s the same reason we have ratings on films. Sexual content and ultra-violence are not subject matter that you?d bring your 9 year old cousin to is it ?

However I am not recommending some archaic restrictions that would make it damn near impossible for people to play such games, I merely saying that ratings do have a point. The second level you play in Hitman: Contracts for instance, Death of the Meat King is a mission I would very gladly have erased from my memory because of the gore level.

But yes on the issue of blaming videogames, music, movies and television for every psychopath and murder we have in the world today is not only imbecilic but laughable, there will always be people who are one step away from going insane and becoming homicidal maniacs, did the people of Austria blame Mozart for violence that occurred in Vienna ? I doubt it but certain people seem to like to justify their own warped thinking with equally inane and absurd reasoning. Videogames are not to blame, TV is not to blame, movies are not to blame, music is not to blame, drugs, bad genes and general homicidal tendencies are. Parents who are ignorant or inattentive to their children?s obvious psychopathic nature don't help either.[/SIZE]