OtakuBoards

looking for some anime movie or series

Guest TheOne

Guest TheOne
my brother is pretty much into anime so i thought id buy some dvds for him on his birthday... but i have no idea what i should buy since im not in to anime at all... as far as i know his favorite movies are... DN.Angel, angel sanctuary, flame of recca, Hitsuji no Uta, Tsukihime and Negima ... he also got full metal alchemist, Rurouni Kenshin and full metal panic on his shelf, but i dont know what he thinks about em...
from reading the reviews of these movies i think he likes movies where some teenager is learning about his special powers or something...

got any ideas for what he could like?

ill appreciate any suggestions...

[COLOR=blue]As far as movies go, you can't go wrong with Samuari X: Trust and Betrayal. I think it's also called Rurouni Kenshin: Reminisence. It's got action, drama, LOVE, a stupid teenager, and a little philosophy. It's very sophist when it comes to that little bit of philosophy, but most popular philosophical animes are.[/COLOR]

How old is your brother? Because that could really help people giving you advice as to what series he might like.

FLCL is short enough that its boxset could serve as an entire gift. Most anime-watchers I know would appreciate any Miyazaki film they don't already own, regardless of their age. One volume of Comic Party is enough to win a few laughs, even if he was never to complete the series. (It's a great series, at that. I have a totally sweet box that goes with my incomplete set of it, too.)

You could even be different and poke around your local comic book shop and find some cool action figures/figurines/toys/plushies.

Those can be cheaper than DVDs, anyway.

[COLOR=DarkRed]A good one could be Akira, if you don't think he's too young for that...
Other wise Tokyo Babylon could be an option too, or X (the series).
No matter what you get, i recomend ordering online. If you go someplace, it's just too expensive. E-Bay is pretty reliable, but a great site for this would be sundevildvd.com

FLCL would probably be the best choice if he hasn't seen it, it's only $10 at sundevildvd as opposed to almost a hundred anywhere else.[/COLOR]

with that, grave of the fireflies. it isn't too long and it is rather touching. about a boy and his younger sister in wwII japan. the one problem that it could pose with a 15 yr.old boy is the lack of drama/action as it is more a story of survival.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]You can never really go wrong with Akira at all. Akira is one of the best movies I've ever seen... hmmm... what else? Well... here are some movies that I have.

Vampire Hunter D.

Vampire Hunter D.: Bloodlust

X: The Movie

Tokyo Babylon

Metropolis

Animatrix

And I'm sure there's plenty more that I'm forgetting to add, but all of those are farly good movies. ^.^[/COLOR]

I'd have to suggest my favourite Anime movie of all time... Princess Mononoke, yet another Miyazaki masterpiece. Don't let the title throw you... It's got action, drama, blood, samurai, uhh... demons, curses and the like. And its got an elk, what's cooler then an elk? Other then that I can recommend prettymuch anything by Miyizaki.

Also, you can't go wrong with Akira or any of the Gundam series (Except SD Gundam, for the love of god stay away from that.) Tokyo Godfathers or Steamboy are some other good movies you could get, though I don't think Steamboy is out on DVD yet. It's in theaters this spring... So maybe you could pick it up for him next time... heh.

[color=blue][font=comic sans ms]gotta plug my generally favorite anime (series or movie): Cowboy Bebop. Action, hotpants, gunfights, karate (drunken boxing as well as several others), and space-ships...c'mon.

On the same note, Outlaw Star. Excellent, too. Oh, and anything else listed above.
another site to check out is [B]DiscountAnimeDVD.com[/B][/font][/color]

[quote name='AzureWolf][COLOR=blue']As far as movies go, you can't go wrong with Samuari X: Trust and Betrayal. I think it's also called Rurouni Kenshin: Reminisence. It's got action, drama, LOVE, a stupid teenager, and a little philosophy. It's very sophist when it comes to that little bit of philosophy, but most popular philosophical animes are.[/COLOR][/quote]
Rurouni Kenshin is a good series and movie. If you ask me maybe he would like Inuyasha movie 1 and 2. The 3rd is coming out this summer or fall. Any way does any one know where you can get the Rurouni Kenshin movies and how many Rurouni Kenshin movies there are?

Guest Redfield
If he likes Negima, find out if he has the manga,volumes 1-4 are out in america now,and 5 should be out in a few days...if it's not out already(in school...can't look at my calander)It has more detail and plot than the anime(whats out of it at least)

if not manga,Perhaps Ghost in the shell(one of my personal favorites) but it depends on his age(has an R rating)has a great plot,buit can be hard to follow if you don't pay attention,but a great movie none the less.Not only is it a great movie,it's a classic

[quote name='Tri-my-Gun']depeding on his age i would say Ninja Scroll the movie is one of the best, but there is a sex scene and nudity and alot of gore, soo its about his age.. but something not so bad age wise would be "X" the movie :)[/quote]
Which, funnily enough, is also packed with nudity and gore (albeit of nudity & gore of a somewhat less offensive variety). On the other hand, [b]X TV[/b] is a totally different animal; it may not be quite as flashy-looking, but it definitely has a lot more soul. The Tokyo Babylon OVA (already recommended by boxybrown305) would serve to complement it nicely.

[b]Last Exile[/b] should be a safe bet, particularly if--as the original poster suggested--the person in question has the patience for something like Tsukihime. It offers a uniquely immersive viewing experience and lacks the generic feel that plagues more than a few of GONZO's other anime.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger][b]Last Exile[/b'] should be a safe bet, particularly if--as the original poster suggested--the person in question has the patience for something like Tsukihime. It offers a uniquely immersive viewing experience and lacks the generic feel that plagues more than a few of GONZO's other anime.[/quote][COLOR=blue]Oh [U]no[/U] you did [U]NOT[/U] just compare Last Exile to Tsukihime. That trash doesn't even belong in the same breath, let alone sentence. Comparing the two is like comparing a sapphire gem to a very impressive trash can. Garbage is garbage, even if it looks like very nice garbage.

In other words, Last Exile looks good, but that's all that's there. Tsukihime offers so much more, even if it can't hold a finger to Last Exile in terms of art and animation (but hey, which anime can?). I strongly doubt there's any correlation to Tsukihime and Last Exile fans. Sure, you can like both, but that doesn't mean the two animes have anything in common (quite the opposite, IMO).

I would not recommend Last Exile to someone on the basis that he/she liked Tsukihime. (btw, patience? O_o What do you mean? Tsukihime was only 12 episodes long.)

Out of curiosity, though, why don't you just ask him what he would like, or are you trying to get him into a new anime he's never seen?[/COLOR]

Guest TheOne
im trying to suprise him... big time since i havent been able to buy a present for him the last 2 years.. he's seen all kenshin and inuyasha movies... btw thx for all the tips soo far i havent had time to check them out jsut yet though...

[quote name='AzureWolf][COLOR=blue']As far as movies go, you can't go wrong with Samuari X: Trust and Betrayal. I think it's also called Rurouni Kenshin: Reminisence. It's got action, drama, LOVE, a stupid teenager, and a little philosophy. It's very sophist when it comes to that little bit of philosophy, but most popular philosophical animes are.[/COLOR][/quote]

There's a box set of the Samuri X movies. The names of the three are Trust, Betrayal, and Reflection. The first 2 take place during the revolution; the last 1 takes place after Kenshin meets Koaru.

[COLOR=blue]I'm pretty much at a loss. Your brother clearly knows what good animes are, so it's hard to recommend something that he already doesn't have - unless you want a bad anime. (I'm also very happy to see that he doesn't have ultimately superficial animes like GitS and Evangelion. <_<)

The only thing I can recommend is [url=http://www.animenfo.com/statistic/top.php?l=anime]this list[/url]. Most of the time, you can't go wrong with something listed there: whatever algorithm they use for the rankings is pretty solid, IMO (but obviously not perfect). Shuffle through it and see if the synopsis of an anime sounds like something he might like. If you are unsure, you can ask about the anime here and someone will tell you if it's like any of the other animes he has/likes.

Hope that helps, haha.[/COLOR]

Guest TheOne
thx for the help so far... since this became a harder task than i first thought i decided to just ask him what kind of anime he wants.. he said something like D.N angel or angel sanctuary... i guess he likes people with wings or angels... u guys know of anything like that?

[quote name='TheOne']thx for the help so far... since this became a harder task than i first thought i decided to just ask him what kind of anime he wants.. he said something like D.N angel or angel sanctuary... i guess he likes people with wings or angels... u guys know of anything like that?[/quote]
I'm not familar with angel sanctuary, but I have D.N.Angel and it's a great series. It's funny, romantic and a bit mysterious as the main character turns into a phantom thief *who is actually another person living inside him* when he sees a picture of the girl he loves. His only cure is to have the girl love him in return but she loves the phantom thief and not him. It's beautifully animated and has great music too.