OtakuBoards

Monster

Dagger

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"]::*wipes dust off*::

Yes, Monster.
Currently watching the series after being told, from many different sources, of how amazing it was. I'm just sad that I hadn't started it sooner, I probably would have continued to procrastinate watching it if my sister hadn't just up and turn on the first episode while I was there. I feel ashamed to have neglected such a fascinating series. ^ ^;

I'm only on episode seventeen; considering the length, that isn't too far it into the series. I am enjoying it, despite the mood being dark and sad. Dr. Tenma is turning out to be one amazing guy. His character is the best thing about this series thus far.

Will write more when less tired.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Aha, so you're almost at the end of the first big arc. Nice. You've got about three or four episodes after that until [spoiler]Roberto, Johan's right hand man, shows up for the first time. He's probably the best villain in the series, after Johan, of course.[/spoiler]

As one of the people who prodded Shishou toward [b]Monster[/b], I suppose I should speak up! I am a huge fan of the series -- it has one of the most suspenseful, thrilling plots I've experienced in any medium, and it has my favorite protagonist (Dr. Tenma, of course) and antagonist (Johan) in all of anime. Dr. Tenma, especially, is key to my enjoyment of the series, because without his steadfast moral strength, the show would probably be too depressing to watch, haha.

One of the most interesting aspects of [b]Monster[/b], I think, is how it implicitly gets the viewer to root against violence. On the one hand, Dr. Tenma is on a journey to [spoiler]kill Johan.[/spoiler] On the other hand, Tenma is strongly anti-violence -- he believes nobody has the right to take a life. That is one of the most fascinating conflicts in the series. I usually like my characters to kick a certain amount of ***, but whenever Tenma ran into a situation where violence was the most obvious solution to defuse the problem, I begged for him to find an alternate path.

And, uh ... maybe I'll continue to comment on other aspects of the series as Shishou posts. Keep haunting the thread, you! :)

[quote name='Shinmaru']
Aha, so you're almost at the end of the first big arc. Nice. You've got about three or four episodes after that until [spoiler]Roberto, Johan's right hand man, shows up for the first time. He's probably the best villain in the series, after Johan, of course.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
[SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"]
I've been so busy that I haven't had the time to watch much of anything, not to mention it is harder when you are chained into watching it with someone who is on a different schedule you are. Hopefully we can finish up the first arc tonight, it ends at episode twenty-four, correct?

Anyhow, I have just finished episode eighteen. Not too much to say about this episode except that I've grown more fond of Nina. [spoiler]I am still unsure of which name to call her by. >>[/spoiler]
She is quite the cutie, especially when her hair was tied up. <3 [/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Shinmaru']
As one of the people who prodded Shishou toward [b]Monster[/b], I suppose I should speak up!
[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"]
Aye, you had a big hand in prodding me into this anime, not that I am complaining about it. =P
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Shinmaru']
And, uh ... maybe I'll continue to comment on other aspects of the series as Shishou posts. Keep haunting the thread, you! :)[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"]
Roger that! ::*salutes*::[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Shishou'][SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"]I've been so busy that I haven't had the time to watch much of anything, not to mention it is harder when you are chained into watching it with someone who is on a different schedule you are. Hopefully we can finish up the first arc tonight, it ends at episode twenty-four, correct?[/size][/font][/quote]

Yep, there are a couple of short arcs before the second big arc starts in episode 25. You know how good the first big arc is, correct? IMO, this second arc leaves the first one in its dust. It starts a bit slow, but it is so incredible by the end -- I'll probably point them out when you get there (and if I can remember the exact episode in which they happen lol), but there are a couple of moments in particular that always send shivers down my spine when I think of them.

[quote][size=2][font="Arial"]Anyhow, I have just finished episode eighteen. Not too much to say about this episode except that I've grown more fond of Nina. [spoiler]I am still unsure of which name to call her by. >>[/spoiler]
She is quite the cutie, especially when her hair was tied up. <3 [/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

Haha, I had the same problem. Don't think I ever really settled on what to call her; I think I switched between both names quite often. But, yes, she is quite the cute girl (and also quite deadly!).

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"]Well now, seeing as I am becoming a big fan of Monster I figured that I should haul my lazy butt over here and make a post.
I started Monster at the insistence of Shin, and thank God I listened to him! Though, I had been meaning to watch it for a log time.

Right now I'm on 19, and from what I gather it's the starting of a big arc. So far most of the episodes I've seen were background episodes, so that a body can get the feel of the anime and the characters.
The story is very intriguing so far, and I have become very fond of Anna and Tenma.
I hope to watch more very soon.[/FONT] [/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
[SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"]So, I just watched episode 45.
I have to get this off my mind.
[Spoiler]I SO KNEW THAT IT WAS JOHAN PRETENDING TO BE NINA~!
Dang, though, that weirded me out a tiny bit.
I knew it had to be Johan, because Nina just wouldn't act like that. =P[/spoiler]
I've been introduced to Grimmer, and he is quite the character, steadily bumping up in my affections.
Episode 42 really did the trick, eekers! [spoiler]When Grimmer was being interrogated by those men. wowza. I really felt bad. D:[/spoiler] I will never think of nail clippers the same way. =\

--Oh, and I forgot to mention when Grimmer was listening to that audio tape, and also the ending bit.
[spoiler]Seeing Johan coming down the stairs as Anna --I'll go with Anna because Nina doesn't really go by Anna-- was really dramatic.[/spoiler] It made me goヽ((◎д◎ ))ゝ
I really have to hand it to Johan, he is a villain, and a darn good one. =P[/font][/size]

• 9 months later...
Just a reminder that [b]Monster[/b] is starting its run on SyFy's Ani-Monday block tonight at 11 p.m. EDT. If there ever was a series I would encourage [i]everyone[/i] to watch, this is it, especially the types of viewers who prefer a more "realistic" storyline and setting. (Not that [b]Monster[/b]'s story isn't batcrap insane. It is just logically built and doesn't rely on the supernatural, or anything like that.)