OtakuBoards

Internet Piracy Poll

Final Remix

Is internet piracy Moral and/or Justified?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Is internet piracy Moral and/or Justified?

I myself download countless things. I have lots of songs. Dozens of movies. Do I think it is all right to do this? No. But like someone said earlier, when it is so easy to do it is hard to help oneself.

But...not only do I download songs and movies, I also go out and buy them on DVD and CD. I do not download whole CDs. I download a few songs here and there to try them out, and go buy the CD. I have owned A Beautiful Mind for about 2 years. Just last week I went and downloaded it. *shrug* Does that still make me a thief? In my mind, no. But in some minds yes. I still give back to these artists/actors/ etc... There is not a single song on my computer that I do not own the CD to, nor a movie that I do not own. *shrug*

Would I still get in trouble with whomever brings a lawsuit against me, even though I legally own the movie/CD? I am curious.

I don't download music anymore (which is due to the fact that I've more or less lost interest in music, not some kind of moral epiphany). I do download fansubs, which is closer to being a moral gray area as far as I'm concerned. Maybe buying ridiculous amounts of anime is what prevents me from feeling guilty about it; I'm not really sure. The fact that it's illegal (contrary to popular belief) is outweighed by my impatience to a) see old shows that will probably never get licensed, and b) see the latest shows immediately.

For whatever it's worth, fansubs have prompted me to pre-order [i]so[/i] many anime I wouldn't otherwise have considered. I just wish it worked that way for more people.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']I don't download music anymore (which is due to the fact that I've more or less lost interest in music, not some kind of moral epiphany).[/quote]

That's not cool! Good music is awesome... nothing is better at making time pass more smoothly when you're driving or working or whatever. If you're in to rock, give Rammstein or System of a Down a try, or maybe revisit some of the older Metallica CDs. (if you haven't heard any of the Master of Puppets-Black Album CDs, pick em' up) They might be able to rekindle your interest.

[COLOR=Teal][SIZE=1][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]I believe internet piracy, or any form of piracy for that matter is actually helpful. It is stealing and wrong, at least in that respect, but it is also justified in that it forces people to be more cautious with their security and increase the quality of both the product and the security. I mean dozens of audio file formats have been developed to help artist preserve their works and prevent stealing.
Hell even the operating system your reading this on now was probably pirated, at least in part, from the earliest ones before it. Stealing requires some degree of effort, depending on what is being stole and how blatant one wants to be, and certainly helps people develope both their product and skill sets in the process.

Well something like that,

~skedy[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Baron Samedi][size=1]*smacks head against a wall*

Dude, he was making a point. wristcutter isn't really going to hack your computer. But your foolish comments about the existence of computer files prompted him to make a [b]very accurate[/b] comment. Just because you cannot physically point to your downloaded mp3s does not mean you haven't stolen the intellectual property of the artist.[/size][/QUOTE]
Giwilikers did you ever think that I was being sarcastic.
And as for the part "technicaly it does not exist, I meant when you go straight down to the definition of existence and real. But of course th internet is real. I love to download music, fansubs, and movies. Big whoop, yea I am a pirate and damn pround to say "I dont buy cds."
Nuke the RIAA

Well...let's see...Is it morally just? Probably not...is it still considered theft even if they are merely bytes of virtual data? Of cousres it is. Does Gelgoog still do it? You bet your britches he does.

I feel...that, well...I'm getting a bit screwed by society. I'll admit it's a little childish but, it still makes me feel,like my problems with society has been resolved. Honestly it doesn't bug me morally to steal files and such off of the internet. Does it bother me that a flagrant act of stealing has no effect on me....not really. Do I think it makes me a bad person....no. Let's face it people, if we all [B]knew[/B] we could get away with stealing, most if not all would steal. Since many people know they can steal data without punishmentment, they simply do.

Basically I steal because I can, hack? now that's different, I was shown the way of the hacker by afriend of mine, so I only "destroy" your files if you well do it to me first. And really most hackers don't destroy the files that's just a myth. Mostly you'd either install a virus to piss them off, or a cooler approach, send them a trojian Horse lol!

Groups like the RIAA have tried to "punish" those they felt worthy...like the 12 year old girl who was sued 200,000 for 60,00 downloaded Mp3's. That's rediculous. She's tweleve...you already make millions...give the little people a break...

[quote name='Gelgoog Pilot']...Groups like the RIAA have tried to "punish" those they felt worthy...like the 12 year old girl who was sued 200,000 for 60,00 downloaded Mp3's. That's rediculous. She's tweleve...you already make millions...give the little people a break...[/quote] [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Yeah, the fine is rediculous, but what I wanna know is what in the world a 12 year old girl was ever planning on doing with 60,000 mp3's? The rediculousness was spread out both ways in this case.

Yeah, stealing is morally wrong, but it can be justified. If I had access to a physical store that sold Japanese CDs, then I would own the CD for every The Pillows album and all the other songs I've downloaded. But there isn't, and I'd rather download them than risk buying from a shady website.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=drive_monster]
Yeah, stealing is morally wrong, but it can be justified. If I had access to a physical store that sold Japanese CDs, then I would own the CD for every The Pillows album and all the other songs I've downloaded. But there isn't, and I'd rather download them than risk buying from a shady website.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Here are some legitimate websites that sell legitimate Japanese CDs:

[url]http://www.yesasia.com[/url]
[url]http://www.cdjapan.co.jp[/url]
[url]http://www.hmv.co.jp[/url]

Now there are no more excuses.