OtakuBoards

China, Japan, Korea, and something dumb.

eleanor

[QUOTE=Delta][COLOR=#95005E][SIZE=1]
But please do not confuse "delaying the study of History to a riper age" with "altering histories for students". I am very much against the latter. It's a factual recording of events! A wrong interpretation may stay with an individual, especially the lazy-types who do not bother to read other books, for life. He'll be like a walking idiot in the eyes of other people, much more to those like him but believe the opposite.

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=#808080]I don't think anyone is making that confusion other than Lady Dust, lol.

At issue is the [b]altering[/b] of text books. By "altering", we are talking about omitting a little event called World War II. Most young people in Japan know that atomic bombs were dropped on their country, but most do [i]not[/i] know that their country attempted to violently conquer the asia-pacific region.

The whole idea that this stuff should be delayed until University level is ridiculous, as far as I'm concerned. I was learning about World War I and II in both primary and secondary schools. It's quite possible to teach kids about war without getting into the gory details. And certainly, it's very possible to discuss the subject of war at the high school level, when kids are easily capable of digesting such information.

I strongly doubt that many Japanese young people (including adults) are even aware that Japan attacked both Darwin and Sydney. For Americans, that'd be like someone attacking New York City and Los Angeles with submarines and heavy bombers. It's something that leaves a mark on a country forever; underwater mines still wash up on Sydney beaches from time to time. It's always a reminder of a very frightening time. Unfortunately Japanese students (and the population as a whole) get a [i]very[/i] deliberately distorted view of the war. That doesn't help anyone.[/color][/font]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic