OtakuBoards

Intervention

Kamuro

I've recently been watching a show on A & E called Intervention. The show is based on people who are burdened by addictions to the point that they can no longer contro ltheir own lives without the help of others. I find the show increasingly interesting during each new episode.

Theres many more addictions to date that people barely ever notice. Of course theres the common ones, drugs, pills, etc. But on the show yesterday (Sunday) they were showing a guy who was addicted to video games. I found it interesting, because I love video games. I play them a lot, but it scares me to think I might someday reach this extent. He sometimes mimics the characters and you can tell just by looking at him that he'd rather be playing a video game then doing whatever else hes doing.

The point of this post was for people to comment on the show as well as share any addictions they've had and/or people in their life have had. Its not always easy to talk about these things but I find myself pretty comfortable on these forums and I'm thinking a lot of other people feel the same and might be able to shed some light on addiction and how it works as well as comment on the show and if they think people are actually cured by these "Interventions."

Well I've never seen the show, but sounds like these people's addictions are more like an obssesion. I can't say that I have an addiction that would require intervention. I mean I'm pretty good at setting a time limit for what I like to do so it doesn't interfere with work or other stuff.

As for people being cured by the Interventions, well I personally believe that unless the person really wants to change, you can try to intervene, but in the end they will just go right back to their addiction. I've seen too many people in destructive addictions that never get out even with help.

In the case of video games, there was some obession involved, but thats not the basis of the show. A few other examples of the addictions on the show include, cutting, drugs of any kind, sex, water pills and/or laxitives, etc. I think you'd have to see the show to fully understand the depth of the video game addiction, but as far as the others go, they're pretty common

[COLOR=DarkRed]Well, i dont have cable (assuming this is a cable show), but i know all too well about this kind of thing. My dad is the director of the Milwaukee City Detox. I hear plenty of these stories. It's just as SunfallE said, the help can be good, but so often, the person will just end up back where they started. Since this is on TV, though, i can only assume that they just show the success stories.[/COLOR]