OtakuBoards

Best Anime Girl Tournament R1 M10: Rei (Evangelion) vs. Faye (Cowboy Bebop)

Bloodseeker

Match 10 *insert witty comment here*!

My only rule is to not spam up these threads. Don't just post the character that you voted for's name. If you're going to say who you voted for, then explain why you voted for who you voted for, even if that explanation is just quoting someone that shares your sentiments. It doesn't need to be complicated. Even something as simple as "I voted for Asuka because she has a lot more spunk than Rei" or "I voted for Asuka because she has a lot of spunk" will work. So long as it has more substance than "Asuka" or "Asuka's better", its fine.

This place seems to be filed with the type that would vote for Rei... I say that she'll win.

Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
[img]http://img126.echo.cx/img126/1664/rei124ca.jpg[/img]

vs.

Faye Valentine (Cowboy Bebop)
[img]http://img126.echo.cx/img126/5157/cbfaye00697bu.jpg[/img]

To be honest, I never liked Faye that much. Something about her has always rubbed me the wrong way... maybe its because she smokes or something. Rei's my least favorite of the three main Eva girls, and I've got an argument as to why she's not that great of a character when she's put next to Asuka and Misato, but I'll save that until I actually want to see her lose. (which is going to be a while) Despite that, Rei's still pretty cool, and she gets my vote. Did I mention that something about Faye's looks rubs me the wrong way as well? (though she looks awesome in the pic that I posted)

[quote name='Bloodseeker']This place seems to be filed with the type that would vote for Rei... [/quote]
Why, whatever makes you say that? :animesmil

And yes, I voted for Rei. I'm not exactly passionate about either of the options here, but I found Rei to be a lot more fascinating than Faye. Plus her character design is just so much more... uh, subtle. While I didn't really pay that much attention to her until she [spoiler]sacrificed herself,[/spoiler] I did find that scene surprisingly moving (which is to say, it was surprising given that a lot of the emotional angst in Eva just kind of rolled off me, at least until the very end of the series).

It puzzles me that she's the focal point of such a strong obsession in the Evangelion fandom, as I can't quite understand why one would idolize a character presented the way she is. But that's not to say she isn't admirable, and I like her quiet strength.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=DarkRed]Yes, another competition that i've seen both animes! This one however, wasn't as obvious to me as the last (Asuka vs. Nana).

I did vote for Feye. She was always out there, and ready to do it. She often got rough, and didn't take orders from nobody! These are qualities i sometimes like, and sometimes dislike.

Rei is essentially the complete opposite, and yet it isn't as though i hate her. She [I]only[/I] takes orders, and is very quiet, which again, i like and dislike.

I suppose i just favor the more active person here. With a little debating, i could easily sway to the side of Rei (though it's too late to change my vote anyway).[/COLOR]

So Dagger doesn't like Rei or Asuka?! That's a rare one. But come to think of it, the first time that I watched Eva, Misato was the only one of the three main Eva girls that I liked. I should have nominated her instead of Sango... (hindsight being 20/20) Not that Sango isn't cool in her own right.

(Speaking of Asuka, I'm about to see if Nana really is the better character of the two, like some of you claimed a few matches back.)

boxybrown305: Rei's the more mysterious and poetic of the two. That's why so many people are drawn to the character in the first place. (that and looks)

I wish that I could discredit Faye, but again, I've never quite been able to put my finger on why I don't like her.

[quote name='Bloodseeker']boxybrown305: Rei's the more mysterious and poetic of the two. That's why so many people are drawn to the character in the first place.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Well, you got me there... alas, i already desire to change my vote. Ah well, i like them both, and i hate them both, what more is there to say?[/COLOR]

[quote name='Bloodseeker']Speaking of Asuka, I'm about to see if Nana really is the better character of the two, like some of you claimed a few matches back.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]If you mean your buying the series (as it's coming out in America i assume), you'll have to wait at least until disc two before you see some of Nana's redeeming qualities. Before that, she's just another character, but you'll soon see her overcome her problems.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Bloodseeker']So Dagger doesn't like Rei or Asuka?! That's a rare one. But come to think of it, the first time that I watched Eva, Misato was the only one of the three main Eva girls that I liked.[/quote]
I like the older women--mainly Misato & Ritsuko, but also Yui and Ritsuko's mother. They have an appealing subtlety/ambiguity to them... in contrast, Asuka and Rei are characterized in bold, stark terms (this is especially true of Asuka). For me, Misato and Ritsuko--while not necessarily more complex or conflicted--came across as being more real and less like character studies. The maturity factor also helped (and plus, they're just sexier in general).

Misato and Ritsuko are relatively experienced, well-rounded women. Rei is more or less a [spoiler]doll[/spoiler] (yeah, she kind of grows beyond that, but it's still the main thrust of her personality or lack thereof). And for much of the series, Asuka comes across as being a whiny, insecure child--even worse than Shinji in certain regards, because while he just curls up and acts sullen, she has to put herself out there all the time.

I really do like Ritsuko a lot, now that I think about it--beyond just lumping her in a group headed by Misato. It would have been nice to see more of her.

[quote](Speaking of Asuka, I'm about to see if Nana really is the better character of the two, like some of you claimed a few matches back.).[/QUOTE]
Excellent. It will also be interesting to find out what you think about Lucy. My feelings about the various characters changed really dramatically over the course of the show--while I liked Nana from the moment she was introduced, I had this huge love-hate thing going on with Lucy. And don't even get me started on Mariko. Of course, boxybrown is also quite correct in that Nana doesn't become a major character until somewhat later in the series. But there's still a lot to enjoy in the beginning episodes.

~Dagger~

Yeah, its easy to point at Rei and say that she's the mysterious enigmatic one and point at Asuka and say that she's the fiery and spunky one. You can't group Misato like that.

I never cared for Ritsuko though. She was barely given a character to care for. All we knew about her was that she willing to sacrifice a little for the mission of destroying the angels, and that she didn't like being thrown in the background. (if you've seen the series, you know what incedents I'm talking about) She acted like more of a plot pusher than a character to herself.

This one was pretty tough since they both have mysterious pasts, but i find Faye's being a more exciting one. Personality wise i just find Rye being to boring of a person. She rarely talks in the anime and when she does none of what she says is really necessary. Shes more of a [spoiler] puppet being controlled by Shinji's father [/spoiler] and has fixed emotions based off this assumption. Faye is at least more enjoyable and...well theres basically nothing else i can say about her compared to Rye. My vote goes to Fye.

[color=#503f86]Faye and Rei are similar in different ways (and not just because their names rhyme... I never noticed that before, heh). Personally, I think Rei's the better-looking of the two and I always found something I could identify with in terms of her quietude. In terms of a character actually being interesting, though, I think Faye is definitely the winner. She's funny, loud, boyish and has far more memorable moments in Bebop than Rei does in Evangelion.

Faye really intrigues me- her enigmatic past must be a huge point of interest for her fans, and that was something that kept me watching Bebop (aside from the rest of its brilliance, heh). Rei's enigma isn't quite as enthralling, in my opinion.

I'm glad I can finally give a comprehensive view on two of these contestants, heh. I've not seen a vast array of anime.

Anyway, I'm voting for Rei. She's always been a character that I've liked design-wise, even if as a character she's relatively boring. The most connected I felt to her, as Dagger menationed earlier, was when she [spoiler]sacrificed herself.[/spoiler] That was one of my favourite moments in the entire series, and I really would have liked to have seen her character develop beyond that before it happened. Ah well.[/color]

Ha ha ha...for once we actually agree Bloodseeker...the short hair factor is a real killer of the mood for both of the girls...but I always dig a chick with a gun in her hand...but not a cigarette in the other one :grumble: Girls smoking...another mood killer :animedepr The only thing I've seen Rei smoke, are angels :animesmil I vote for Rei Ayanami

I didn't tell anybody this, but I made a note on boxybrown's change in sides. This is only a one time deal though, since people could abuse the hell out of it if were a regular thing. (vote for the character that they liked, then say that they accidentally voted for the character that they don't like and, in a sense, vote twice)

Rei Ayanami: 7 votes
Faye Valentine: 5 votes

[b]Here is your winner... Rei Ayanami![/b]

That's one character that dislike out of the next round!