OtakuBoards

Art by Domon

Domon

[SIZE=1]Well, now that I have photoshop I was finally able to put together a decent banner. I'm still undecided with the font and color but this is what I made ^_^

[IMG]http://server3.uploadit.org/files/BurningGundam-Destinyevolvedcopy.jpg[/IMG]
The first version.

[IMG]http://server2.uploadit.org/files/BurningGundam-Destinyevolvedcopy1.jpg[/IMG]
And the second version.

[IMG]http://server2.uploadit.org/files/BurningGundam-Destinyevolved2.jpg[/IMG]

I hope to put more banners/banner attempts up here for your enjoyment ^.^

-EDIT: I added the third one with Shogun's Clan font and its Shin and the Aile Impulse Gundam from SEED Destiny.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Well, the crit applies for both banners, as the only thing different is the typography.

The general idea the large Kira over his Gundam is a very good idea. However, it looks really busy, the colors are clashing in the background, and there's no focal point to speak of. This is pretty important, even if it seems like it's not. Your eyes should go somewhere first, which should tell you that the image overall is coordinated.

The contrast between the simple foreground and the complex background is a minus, and wouldn't be recoverable even if the colors of Strike were changed to monochromatic. Get a simpler picture of it, but still dynamic, and see what works.

Finally, the [B]font of the first banner[/B], I must say, is rather weak. It's hard to make out amid the complexity of Strike, and the font choice doesn't fit the emotion you're trying to convey. Get something edgy-er. I'd recommend something a little more grungy like "Defora" or "Shogun's Clan" for this. The squiggly thing isn't working for this.

And the [B]font of the second banner[/B], while improving upon the first, is still not working. It's not defined, and the font isn't conveying the emotion. For future reference, the typo is something that should take just as long as the other part of the image. A good quote in a good font face can make the banner more powerful than just a pretty image.

I hope I wasn't too harsh on you. Forgive me if I was, I only wanted to give you helpful tips. ^_^[/SIZE]

[COLOR=#78593E][SIZE=1]Hi-res! Hi-res is always good and you, sir/ma'am, have chosen well. Yep, yep. *pats Domon's back*

You know what would be a good fix for the border? Fill it with the color of Kira's eyes (that's Kira, right?) and apply blending modes (like what you did with your GetBackers banner. Ultra-cool).

What I would do with the background is I'd probably put a layer filled with a pattern above it just to break the picture up and push it further into the background. As for the font, maybe you could use something like Impact on all caps or a pixel font like Porpoise. :catgirl: [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[IMG]http://server2.uploadit.org/files/BurningGundam-Freedombannercopy.jpg[/IMG]

[SIZE=1]I went with a more simple banner this time around and a thinner border for this. The background Freedom Gundam was just plain weird, I had no intention for it to be transparent but hey, it looks pretty cool that way ^_^[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Ahh, improving quickly I see. Good stuff.

But your problems are consistent. No focal point (well, maybe Strike's right arm/shoulder) make my eyes wander, since both Gundams are on either side of the picture. And colors, Domon. [B]Colors.[/B] Coordinate them, and you will live eternally. Stick with colors of the same range/pallete to make it look more harmonious.

Next is the image arrangement, which you're getting the hang of. You see, one image is usually all you need, or else the banner starts to feel crowded and cluttered. Frankly, the Gundam on the left side of the banner looks awkward, with the solid color covering up the space. I'd remove that Gundam completely, and make the one in the foreground larger.

It's something you need to get the hang of, and once you do, you won't just go far, you'll fly in infinity. Just in general image placement, font placement, colors and the like are the things that distinguish beginners from intermediates. I'd like to think I'm in the latter category, and you'll be there too, with the jumps you made in your second banner. Keep it up.[/SIZE]

Well, I tried my hand at a Bleach banner and I'm not too happy with the end result, the red text just seems too fuzzy for me, it'll get fixed but I don't know what to make it.

[IMG]http://server2.uploadit.org/files/BurningGundam-Bleachbannercopy.jpg[/IMG]

[color=#9933ff]*nod nod* good good! Nice focal point. You could also try shifting the image to the left, and putting "ichigo kurasaki" on the right on the top and putting "the strawberry" on the right bottom. And I don't think would be any confusion because the colors are different.

As for font, I don't know what to tell you because I have really crappy fonts on my computer. You could try mistral, unless that's what you were using. >_>;

I've told you this before, but I really don't like the border at all. It looks really really really really small, and the border is the reason. A very simple black line one pixel wide will do. Small borders = cool!

By the way, you did something freaky to the image quality and it sucks. That's the only really bad thing about this image. I love the picture, the background (no, I don't find it too plain) and the colors, but the border and the image quality are killing me. If you could fix the image quality (when you save it, at least in GIMP, I don't know about photoshop, it gives you an option of how much "compressed" you want the quality. Make it higher, your quality is yucky! ><) that would be really great.

This is my favorite banner by you, so far. I absolutely love the colors on it.[/color]

Seems like there's too much happening in your sigs. Also the text isn't great, try dafont.com or other font websites and download some good ones.

I like the main image you used, but instead of filling the rest of the sig with other images try using brushes. Download some, and give it a try. Also, if your not sure how to get started with brushing and blending i have tutorials - just ask.

[SIZE=1]I'm not much for contradicting people, but I thought I should say something now, rather than let the thought grow in your mind.

Really, I don't agree with what -tiGz- said, so far as using pre-made brushes is concerned. You see, when you use someone else's brushes, you:
(1) Did little to nothing at all.
(2) Took no skill or knowledge.
(3) Get props for making it look cool.

It's better to gain the knowledge and skills through doing the effects manually and painstakingly. That way, you can modify the techniques you have to create new ones, and have a better grasp on how photoshop works. Trust me, I made this bad decision of using pre-made brushes, and yes, it did make some of my work look really awesome. But it was the easy way out, and I've given up pre-made brushing completely.

However, creating your [b]own[/b] brushes is a very good idea (Edit > Define Brush), as you can save cool effects that you've made, and use them in other places.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1]Yeah, I agree with you Retribution pre-made brushes are kinda eh.. I don't think the image came out to bad, I think the text came out to fuzzy >_<;; I'll try and tinker around with it and see what I can do with it.

EDIT- Here's a new banner I worked on, I thought I'd keep it simple and instead of a gradient I'd use a black 3D style.

[IMG]http://server2.uploadit.org/files/BurningGundam-Deathscythebannercopy.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Looks good, and you're on the right track. Simplicity is always a plus, as it's easier to work with smaller, simplified components rather than some grand masterpiece with small things moving about.

However, I think you could've picked a better image to have of Death Scythe. And the beveled, yellow border I don't like much either. Try a black, one pixel thick border and see the difference. Also, try duplicating the layer of Death Scythe, and messing around with the blending options. It may not work for a picture as dark as this, but it'll do wonders for others. Try it sometime.

[B]EDIT:[/B] I just threw together an example of what I mean. This one consists of a border, text, and a cropped picture. The border's nothing fancy. This isn't to show off, if that's what you think it is. This is just an example of how minimal space and other elements can actually make things look better.

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/worldscollide.jpg[/IMG]

PS: You're getting better and better each banner. Go-get'em![/SIZE]

I went with a tutorial I was given a link to by Retribution so I could try out some stuff. In this picture I went with a basic black background, difference clouds, radial blurred them, and overlaid the layer with the wing zero layer. I know its subtle but its there.

[IMG]http://img296.echo.cx/img296/5935/thelightofzerocopy0jq.jpg[/IMG]

It seems as if you are getting some low quality renders that that is always somthing that brings a sig down. But I like the sigs themselves there not half bad, they are starting to blend better. But as many have said I suggest a diffrent font. As far as brushes I would suggest you make your own, with my first sig I used five of my own made brushes and One that a friend had made. So if you do plan on going with Grunge And Abstract brushing then I do suggest you make your own. :P

Overall quite nice and they are improving as time gose on.

Keep up the good work.

• 3 weeks later...