OtakuBoards

Movies--to--Anime

Ryoko T.D.C.

[COLOR=Blue]hey ya'll! i was just wonder'en, what real life movie do you think would make a kewl anime movie? or what real series would make a kewl anime series? like for example: i think thank the Jackass movie make a great anime movie (which it wouldn't by the way) or i think that the show 'Will and Grace' would make a good anime (even though i don't tink it would....)

but if i were to choose a movie to make into an anime, i would have to choose the '[I]Aviator[/I]'. that would be like a really kewl anime. and the voice actors would of course have to the actors of the real movie. they could have the creator of Metropolis do it. that would be an ever so beautilful anime if ya think about it.

so what do ya'll think?? oh, give an explanation too![/COLOR]

One of the big advantages of anime is that its a medium that can effectively tell stories that would otherwise cost millions to tell in a high quality live action movie. If the story has already been told effectively through live action, I really don't see a good reason to animate it.

Top Quality Live-Action > Animation

Real People > Animated Characters

[CENTER][COLOR=Navy]There are a few setbacks from going from a live-action movie to an anime, first the movie can't really be non-Japanese or else it would be a cartoon and not an anime, which are different things. Also you have the fanbase issue, do you wanna get new fans and lose some old fans or direct your anime to the hardcore fans of the live-action movie.

Jackass would be a horrible anime, and the human characters of Jackass would kill themselves instead of going to be an animated character, there career's could go down the drain, but there career's are almost already down the drain. [/COLOR][/CENTER]

although i havent seen it yet and i would like to, i think Sky capitan and the world of tomorow would make an interesting anime. another one that i beleive would sell (maby not, i dunno) would be an anime adaptation of the Blade movies. the could put some even sweeter FX in there!

[quote name='Jin][CENTER][COLOR=Navy]the movie can't really be non-Japanese or else it would be a cartoon and not an anime, which are different things[/COLOR'][/CENTER][/quote]

Oh boy. *falls over*

[i]Anyhow[/i], I think the main problem with turning movies into animated series is you have to keep the story going for [i]a long time[/i]. Years, even. While this can give writers more flexibility and an opportunity to develop side characters and sub-plots more, story lines tend to fall flat. Things often become episodic, which likely breaks up the mood the original film had.
Also, series based on movies tend to be geared towards an audience younger than the films were meant to attract, so, inevitably, something is always lost.

That said, there are few movies I would really appreciate seeing a TV series made out of. I think some more action-oriented, angsty movies, like "Underworld" could be made into animated series, providing they were kept under 26 episodes and upheld that dark, blood-suckery feeling well.

[Quote=Bloodseeker]Top Quality Live-Action > Animation

Real People > Animated Characters[/Quote]

[b]No.[/b] Sorry, but that's completely untrue. Animation can be far more effective when it comes to portraying certain ideas than live action could ever hope to be. High quality animation and voice acting are really more appreciable than high quality acting and special effects, a lot of the time. I mean, who the hell would want to watch "My Neighbor Totoro" if it had been done in live action? The Animatrix? Toy Story?
You can reach a very unique level of coolness with animation, since you're not held back by physics.

[quote name='Ryoko T.D.C.][COLOR=Blue']hey ya'll! i was just wonder'en, what real life movie do you think would make a kewl anime movie?[/COLOR][/quote]Hm... how about Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai? Or perhaps Kaze no Yojimbo?

[quote]There are a few setbacks from going from a live-action movie to an anime, first the movie can't really be non-Japanese or else it would be a cartoon and not an anime, which are different things.[/quote]
I assume you realize that there have been plenty of anime based on classic Western novels (such as Anne of Green Gables and The Count of Monte Cristo).

~Dagger~

[CENTER][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Truly, this thread is very amusing to me. I personally dislike the idea of anyone taking Sailor Moon and turning it into a live-action movie. On the other side of the fence, Star Wars (In new light of Revenge of the Sith... Just saw it ^^ Yay! I don't really like the ending...) would not be NEARLY as appealing animated.

There has been much talk in the last months about a bunch of anime movies becoming live action. I shudder at the thought of Frankie Muniz playing Shippo (Inu) or Angelina Jolee playing Sango. Excuse me if I'm bold, but it would just ruin InuYasha for me. Imagine Muniz runnin around in a little fuzz ball suit! Goodness, there'd be nothing worse. (Except that stupid dog on Duck Hunt. He needs to die... Alright, that was random...)

Now, as for movies to anime, I think some might work. Aviator? I... Can [I]see [/I] it, but... I dunno... I think they could probably elaborate on Star Wars and make it a good anime. Problem? It would kill everything! Just like the coming generation... [spoiler]They'll never see it 4-5-6-1-2-3 like we all did! There will be no significance of Darth Vador's fall to the dark side! Noone will know who Luke and Leia are... It's sickening...[/spoiler] <--- Not a spoiler if you've seen 4-5-6 (Or even just 4), but just in case...

My point? Well, amidst the pointless rambling I've really only one thing to say. If something has value the way it is, don't change or re-make it. If something sucks now, don't try doing it over, it'll still suck. Therefore, you souldn't make anime to movies or movies to anime. You don't want to risk taking or altering the original value of the picture. Kay all, I'm done.

_sakura_[/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[QUOTE=Godelsensei][b]No.[/b] Sorry, but that's completely untrue. Animation can be far more effective when it comes to portraying certain ideas than live action could ever hope to be. High quality animation and voice acting are really more appreciable than high quality acting and special effects, a lot of the time. I mean, who the hell would want to watch "My Neighbor Totoro" if it had been done in live action? The Animatrix? Toy Story?
You can reach a very unique level of coolness with animation, since you're not held back by physics.[/QUOTE]

But if it worked good in live-action, physics obviously weren't a problem. And when you've got special effects people like the ones that worked on LotR and the more recent Star Wars movies, you can say that they look almost real at times.

As for emotion being portrayed, that's up to the actor. Sure you have crappy overactors like that guy that played in that last Star Wars movie and underactors like Keana Reaves, but you've also got people like post-Last Samurai Tom Cruise, Russel Crow, and Mel Gibson that portray a character better than animation can ever hope to.

:animeangr [COLOR=Blue]people, is it that hard to understand a topic????!!!! all that was asked was which movie of TV series would look like a good or not so good anime. i don't care weather or not the damn show would be:

"Anyhow, I think the main problem with turning movies into animated series is you have to keep the story going for a long time. Years, even. While this can give writers more flexibility and an opportunity to develop side characters and sub-plots more, story lines tend to fall flat. Things often become episodic, which likely breaks up the mood the original film had.
Also, series based on movies tend to be geared towards an audience younger than the films were meant to attract, so, inevitably, something is always lost."

or

"There are a few setbacks from going from a live-action movie to an anime, first the movie can't really be non-Japanese or else it would be a cartoon and not an anime, which are different things. Also you have the fanbase issue, do you wanna get new fans and lose some old fans or direct your anime to the hardcore fans of the live-action movie.

Jackass would be a horrible anime, and the human characters of Jackass would kill themselves instead of going to be an animated character, there career's could go down the drain, but there career's are almost already down the drain."

i really don't, ok? i was just wondering weather or a human movie would be a good [i]anime [b]movie[/b][/i] ok?! :animeangr :animeangr

oh, and thankies Twilight_Kioku and Dagger for ACTUALLY responding with the right form of answer.

p.s. i was just ranting and raving, so, sorry mod.'s and all you higher in command. i didn't mean to. really.[/COLOR]

If I would do any live to anime iw ould do a classic that has be in the dark for a long time like the old clash of the titans( realy good effects for the time but still can tell it was fake). But far as anime to live I can't remeber the website but there making a live action initail d movie the trailer had fc, fd, and 86 doing a run real sweet looking more action then flash unlike f&f/2f2f.

I did respond in "the right way". I answered your question and explained my answer. You asked which live-action movies I want to see made into anime, and I said none. If I've already seen a good live-action movie of it, I don't see why I'd want to watch a version that stars cartoon characters.

[COLOR=#95005E][SIZE=1][quote name='Dagger']Hm... how about Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai?[/quote]Oh there's one actually. "Seven Samurai" is currently on its first run in Animax Asia and it looks really good (read: AMAZING ANIMATION). It's got its own quirks, though. Mechas, transport animals called Fast Turtles (think Chocobos in carapace) and swords that can cut through mecha steel.

I'm not sure if they've made one already but [b]Battle Royale[/b] would look great as an anime series. It can run for a good 13 episodes and with a studio like Backgammon at the wheel, we can be assured of uninhibited violence and fountains of blood.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Delta][COLOR=#95005E][SIZE=1]Oh there's one actually. "Seven Samurai" is currently on its first run in Animax Asia and it looks really good (read: AMAZING ANIMATION).[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]
Haha, I know--I've already got the first R1 DVD pre-ordered. I should've mentioned that I was being facetious; now I feel kind of bad, since the thread creator interpreted my answer seriously. :animeswea

Kaze no Yojimbo has also been made into a (considerably less impressive) television series. The visuals are utterly subpar to those of Samurai 7, but it still has a decent story. It's just rather slow, since it ends up sticking closer to the original movie
storyline than S7.

[b]Bloodseeker:[/b] The way I understand it, she wasn't specifically asking which good or perfect live-action movies might also make good anime. The question is left open to include films which may have sucked royally for various reasons but could potentially be excellent if animated.

To answer in earnest, I would absolutely love to see an anime version of [B]2001: A Space Odyssey[/B] (a live-action remake, on the other hand, would probably fall flat). I'd also be interested in seeing a more faithful anime re-make of the old [B]The Sound and the Fury[/B] movie. Not to imply that either of these films necessarily "sucked royally" (I haven't even watched the latter yet, heh--I just want to see some kind of Faulkner-related anime), but I think both would benefit from the visual/stylistic freedom offered by animation.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=Navy][B]The Godfather trilogy[/B] would have some serious potential to be a masterpiece in anime form. [B]Gokusen[/B], I believe had a Godfather Champloo to it. Can you imagine the greatest film in history telling the best mafia story ever told in anime form? An instant masterpiec[/COLOR]e. :cool:

I think [u]2001: A Space Odyssey[/u] would be a better anime than movie, actually. The movie was very ambiguous, artsy, and [i]long[/i]. If there was more space for articulating every idea, the overall effect would be less vague-ness and more, "Hey, that's pretty damn cool."

I dread the thought of a low-quality studio trying to remake the Obelisk scenes, however.

[color=deeppink][size=1]Honestly, there are a lot of movies that I think could have a lot of potential to be awesome as anime movies as well as live-action. But I'll try to just name my top ones.

I think [b]Donnie Darko[/b] would make a really trippy anime movie. Of course, there would have to be some serious changes made, especially during the "normal" interaction scenes, maybe spice them up them with interesting screen shots and well placed pauses, but you could do so much more with the theory and magical-science-theological mix aspect of it. Donnie could have a lot more strange and confusing visions, and the characters could be exaggerated quite nicely. And Frank could be made to look way freakier. And they could create so much in the way of location eye candy.

Another movie that I think would make a very interesting anime movie is [b]The United States of Leland[/b]. It would make a great dark psychological movie, and I think if someone like the director of Bebop (I forget his name) and the guy who did the anime sequence in Kill Bill I got a hold of it, they could do a LOT with the characters.

Lastly, [b]The Labyrinth[/b]. This movie is so great to begin with, but I think the realm of anime could take it to new heights entirely. There's just so much you can do with animation, and this movie could be made even more magical and outrageous and entrancing. Of course, you'd lose some of the quirkness by no longer having the puppets, but I think that that would be well worth it, to see an anime version of this.

Yea that's all I've got to contribute. :o

-Karma[/size][/color]

Maybe not the wisest choice, but it would be interesting to see "The Chronicles of Riddikk" an an Anime movie. Not that the story could be changed, but the fight scenes would be a bit more believe-able, not to mention that Ridikk's eyes could be made to look alot less human. Then there is the part where he twirls the dagger around his hand in a fashion that looks as if it moves on its own. (Sorry, not believable) I don't know if the prison planet could be improved graghically, though. The rising sun was pretty stunning. Sorry if I go on and on for those of you who haven't seen the movie and don't know what I'm talking about.

[CENTER][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]Hello again.

I don't believe it's difficult to understand a topic, no. I gave my input on my opinion. A opinion, I will remind you, I AM entitled to.

[QUOTE=sakurasuka]
[CENTER][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]My point? Well, amidst the pointless rambling I've really only one thing to say. If something has value the way it is, don't change or re-make it. If something sucks now, don't try doing it over, it'll still suck. Therefore, you souldn't make anime to movies or movies to anime. You don't want to risk taking or altering the original value of the picture. Kay all, I'm done.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[/QUOTE]

Does this not answer your question? You wanted to know:[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[QUOTE=Ryoko T.D.C.][COLOR=Blue]hey ya'll! i was just wonder'en, what real life movie do you think would make a kewl anime movie? or what real series would make a kewl anime series? like for example: i think thank the Jackass movie make a great anime movie (which it wouldn't by the way) or i think that the show 'Will and Grace' would make a good anime (even though i don't tink it would....)
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[CENTER][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]I said Star Wars would LOOK cool, but it would kill the meaning. I half agreed with you on Aviator, and I added what I think would NOT make a good anime/live action movie. Just because you disliked my post doesn't mean you should tell me I can't read what you wrote. If you simply want a list, I can do that. I just wanted to contribute to conversation more, not just post to hear myself talk. (Erm... I suppose this should be PMed to you, but last time I PMed someone something about thier thread, they weren't very happy with me.)[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]