OtakuBoards

Is it possible to "sharpen" this image?

Roxie Faye

[color=#9933ff]I don't know if it's possible to do this, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

The attached image of Edward Elric is really cool. It's also really hard to find one of him clapping his hands together (he's the main character, and the best at alchemy and there's no pictures of him clapping his hands?!?!?).

What I was wondering is if there's a way to make the image look crisper, perhaps by using tools in photoshop, or effects, or whatever. In the current state it's in, I can't use it. For example, compare the image attached to this image: [url]http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=493[/url] You see how the quality is "better"?

I want to print it out at staples on a extremely glossy paper, and Luminaire, who works at Staples in the Copy & Print center (and should become their unofficial spokesperson - XD) says that the quality of the image has to be extremely good, or else it turns out crappy when printed.

If it can't be done, I understand, but [b]let me know[/b] in this thread. If someone does manage to enhance the quality of it, please post it up for me. It is very much appreciated. Thank you. ^_^

Edit: the image NEEDS to stay at 1024 x 768. It can't be 800 x 600, 1280 x 1024, or 640 x 480. It HAS to be 1024 x 768. Thank you. ^^[/color]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DarkOrange]Is this any good? I used a filter for it and it sure made a lot of difference.I have two of them one with the filter and the other just a simple sharpen and glow.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff]I don't know if it's possible to do this, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

The attached image of Edward Elric is really cool. It's also really hard to find one of him clapping his hands together (he's the main character, and the best at alchemy and there's no pictures of him clapping his hands?!?!?).
[/color][/QUOTE]

Do you have the DVD? You could just screepcap a simular scene of him at a better quality?

I doubt you'll be able to get that image to look much nicer (unless you shrink it...that might help... but you already mentioned it can't be smaller)

Is this improved enough? I did one to sharpen it a bit and another with the colors enhanced.

[URL=http://img124.echo.cx/my.php?image=edpic3adj8mq.jpg]ed1[/URL]

[URL=http://img268.echo.cx/my.php?image=edpic3adj017xz.jpg]ed2[/URL]

[COLOR=blue]Here's my try at the thing. It would be helpful if you could tell us which episode the screenshot is from so we can try capture a better raw image to work with. ^^

[url=http://home.earthlink.net/~azurwolf/images/Version-1.jpg]Version 1[/url]
Version 2 is attached[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#95005E][SIZE=1]Tried every trick I could find. Filters can't do it, so I vectored it. Looks pretty clean now. :catgirl:

I didn't vector the whole thing, though. I kinda like the texture of his jacket.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#9933ff]Wow. All of you did a really good job. Thanks for trying to help me out. I really really appreciate that. *huggles all of you*

I think I'm either going to use one of Azure's or Delta's, but thank you, all of you, for trying. I didn't expect so many replies; I'm really greatful. I'm sorry I couldn't print out all of them - I don't think I have enough money for that since I'm almost on the verge of being broke at the moment. *_*

(I don't know what episode it's in, either, Azure, I found it on a website. Judging by the metal pull, it's probably either eps. 1,2,3, or after the meeting Russel and fletcher, since that happens when they're 12. The time-frame of what he's wearing is around 15 years old, so... heh. And It's really sad that I can tell his age by the way he holds his jacket together. ^^; )

I'm just curious what you guys used to clean these images up, since they look good. Better than anything I could to, that's for sure. And, what is vectoring? *tilts head slightly*

Thank you so much, I really really really really appreciate it. ^^;[/color]

[COLOR=#95005E][SIZE=1][quote name='Wikipedia][b]Vector graphics[/b] or geometric modeling is [u]the use of geometrical primitives[/u] such as points, lines, curves, and polygons to represent images in computer graphics. It is used by contrast to the term [b]raster graphics[/b], which is the representation of images as a collection of [u]pixels[/u'] (dots).[/quote]I'm still a noob when it comes to vectoring but you basically draw Shapes with the Pen tool. Ed's hair is composed of three shapes: one for each shade of yellow. Same with the black shadows on his jacket.

The good thing about vector graphics is that it allows one to zoom in and resize indefinitely without blurring the picture, kinda like what happened in the original. Since it doesn't have to account for each and every pixel of color, it packs into a much smaller file size. ([URL=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/lokis01/desktop.jpg]This[/URL] 1024 x 768 image is 217 kb large. Vectored Ed is at 84 kb.)

True Type fonts = Vector Graphics, that's why you can enlarge them fonts without getting those jagged edges associated with raster images.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#9933ff]Oh, I get it. *nods* Cool. Every image should be vector-ized (or whatever you call it). It would make re-sizing a billion times easier. XD (Then again, I guess it would take up a LOT of file space, so... heh) Anyway, thanks again. *huggles*[/color]

[COLOR=blue]I found where the screenshot was taken from: Episode 38, about 5 minutes into the episode. I'll take a screenshot sometime this week and see if I can improve on it any better than it is there - unless of course you've already done the printing.

And if I can do better with my screenshot, I'll post the screenshot here for anyone else to try.[/COLOR]

[color=#9933ff]Oh man, I didn't even see your post. I hope you didn't go through all that trouble. *_* I already printed it out. I'm so sorry if you did. Sorry sorry sorry. V____V

Like I said, all of you are really great. So many responses - all these helpful people! Thank you! ^_^[/color]