OtakuBoards

Is Harry Potter Witchcraft?

Queen Asuka

So, this is a question I've been arguing about....now come on, who REALLY thinks Harry Potter is witchcraft? I think some people are just so close-minded. All these parents banning their kids from seeing Harry Potter or reading the books because they think it is the work of the devil.. Well, they use magic in the final fantasy games, so it's ALL witchcraft...wouldn't that be saying the same thing??? Just curious...

Well, for one thing.
Witchcraft is different to wizardry, or watever they're learning at that school.
Although both can be used to evil purposes, there is still some good left in some people. But really?? Witchcraft is something different. (and I wish I knew on what it was) I know some games use magic and all but still that's pushing it a bit too much. I know how parents would feel its the work of the devil (btw, whose parents??). I can understand on how they feel about this but its too much. I think part of this has to do with religion. You do know the fact there are really some Christians in the world that are in to it a little too mcuh if you know on what I mean. I guess they're really too overproctective. But hey, they gotta live with it. This is my point of view. I dunno on how many people can view it like this.

[SIZE=1]Not [i]all[/i] of it is neccessarily "witchcraft". Potter himself would simply be just a sorcerer or a magician, but that doesn't make him a witch. Though other people in the story/movie or whatever may be witches or whatnot. But witches don't worship the devil! Parents just think that because they look it up on the internet and find terribly wrongly informed sites about witches eating babies, drinking blood, worshipping the devil, etc. When they couldn't be more wrong.

EDIT: Who else can make things float in the air? People who are high on opium, that's how it was in the ol' Salem Witch Trial day.[/SIZE]

Yeah but the parents out there aren't even reading the book and are saying all that stuff. They don't KNOW what it's even about. They just know that Potter goes to a school labeled Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The don't do ANYTHING but wave around a magic word and say Latin root words that translate literally to things like light or fire. It IS the Christians that are saying it, not all of them, but the ones that are RELIGIOUS, if you know what I mean.

"There are Christians and then there are Christians."
I got that out of a book called the Poisonwood Bible.

technically, the way u asked, harry potter cannot be witchcraft. You can't say I am witchcraft. so i'll answer what i think you where trying to say. Harry Potter books/movie deals with magic. the magic used by the main characters is for good purposes. it doesn't preech that all religion is bad, it doesn't even mention religion! i am a devlout catholic and find nothing wrong with it. I even have friends who are "witches", but that doesn't make me want to stay away from them. sadly, the movie dosn't have 1/2 the spells and incantations the book does. so if anything would do harm, it's the book. but once kids see that the spells don't work, they will stop trying to do them. everyone is entitled to their own opinion. but saying that a childrens book is witchcraft and should be burning is overabusing it a little. i swear, parents take something their kids like and find something "evil" in it. then they ban their kids from doing it.:mad: that maked me angry.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B]So, this is a question I've been arguing about....now come on, who REALLY thinks Harry Potter is witchcraft? I think some people are just so close-minded. All these parents banning their kids from seeing Harry Potter or reading the books because they think it is the work of the devil.. Well, they use magic in the final fantasy games, so it's ALL witchcraft...wouldn't that be saying the same thing??? Just curious... [/B][/QUOTE]

I hate close minded religous people. Them going to church is an act of hypocriticism in itself. In the bible it says that no one should judge another man, that only god has that right. And all they do in church is judge other people, which is contradicting themselves. Also when Adam and Eve were made they were naked, and God made them that way. Ask any preacher if they think it's appropriate to go around naked today, I bet they will say "No it's not," even though in the bible it practically states humans were made to go around naked. They contradict themselves in so many ways.

Umm ok.... it's a BOOK! and a MOVIE...

You weird concieded Christian people need to get a life.... all you do is blame your problems on things that aren't even real... How low and helpless can you go.... Why don't you focus on the worlds real problems....

BTW topic closed for lack of.... well... lack of anything.

I think I need to clear something up here. I am am out and out stolid Christian, more so than most people. My personal belief about concerns outside of my faith is--well, I'm not accepting of them, but I try to understand something before slandering it. It's like when people slander Christians or anybody for that matter just because they are not understanding what is going on. The phrase, if you don't have anything worthwhile to say, then shut up? (my words :D) I think certain "Christians" need to learn that.
Here's my view on Harry Potter (and the exact same thing focuses on Digimon/Pokémon/Final Fantasy games, what have you): as long as you understand that it is make believe, that you do not try to make it happen yourself, then it is okay. I play Final Fantasy games--but does that mean I believe I can call fire or summon dragons? Certainly not. And that is where it all lies.

As far as banning stuff goes, I think it ridiculous. If people want to see/read something bad enough, they will find a way to--trust me. God gave people free will, so they are going to make choices (not always smart ones) about what they do. Innocence is a nice thing, but unrealisitic in today's society. I can try to cover my ears to block out all profanity, but sooner or later, I'm gonna have to open them so I can hear the normal everyday stuff--the profanity is gonna slip in, whether I want it to or not. That's because of the world today.

And one last thing--if this even begins to look like a thread that turns toward slandering ANY religion, I will personally close it myself.