OtakuBoards

Technique

Guest Son of Shadows

Guest Son of Shadows
Hello all fellow Otaku's! This thread is for, duh, the discussion of art technique. My personal technique question is about tablets. I have seen many different types of computer animation and I wanted to learn how they are created. Although I have illustration softeware, (Adobe Photoshop) I find it difficult to repeat the curves and lines I make on a real page on the computer using a mouse. I have heard of tablets and am wondering if they are worth an investment(considering their price) and if so, which ones. Some seem to have such small sense areas that I wonder if its worth it. Also, is their any ways you can think of to make it easier to draw with a mouse?
:animedepr Any comments are welcome.

[SIZE=1]Hullo, SoS.

I must admit, I don't know too much about art tablets, but I'll try to impart whatever knowledge I have on you. Firstly, using the tablet is a bit of a skill, as you must stroke on the pad, but look up at the screen for results. As you can imagine, this is quite unorthodox, and will give even a praticed artist some grief in the early stages.

I have no idea how much they cost, or how large the pads come, but I [I]do[/I] know that they are available in different sizes and such. Yeah, it's pretty hard drawing stuff on the computer with a mouse as well as you could on paper, which is why I wouldn't recommend trying without the use of a tablet. Another viable option would be just to scan (if you have a scanner) in your pictures, and edit them in photoshop. There, I know you can change the levels of contrast to make it look as if you've done say, oh, a pencil sketch in pen.

Good luck, and Google may have some background information on tablets.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Retribution][SIZE=1]

I have no idea how much they cost, or how large the pads come, but I [I]do[/I] know that they are available in different sizes and such. [SIZE][/QUOTE]

On average, a tablet will cost you around $100. Sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more... I love mine T_T I paid $100 for it (it's a bit bigger... I know they sell smaller ones for the same price)

Using a tablet takes a while to get used to, but it's basically like using a pencil... depending on the program you're drawing in and/or the tablet, they are usually pressure sensative as well.

Wacom is usually the brand you hear mentioned a lot... Mine is by Aiptek (which is alright... I've had it for maybe 3 or 4 years and it's starting to act up a bit, but it's also a bit old, so...) I haven't used a Wacom tablet, so I can't say much about that ^^

I think it's easier to draw/color with a mouse that doesn't have a ball...a fiber optic one? Not sure on terms... A ball mouse tends to stick a bit more and get dirty and generall cause problems.

Hope that helps ^__^

[SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]Tablets are a rather good idea to have when it comes to drawing on the computer. However, if you are using a touch pad mouse for a laptop I recommend getting a Pen Mouse that can be combined with various digital programs.

The reason I recommend for a tablet is I find it easier to do more interlaced work. As well as curves and finer detail that may only be done by hand, rather then a mouse. Not to mention different textures for when applying color.

I currently have a Wacom Intuos 4"x5'. One of the smallest, I use it to digitally ink or color cropped, magnified images. On a whole image that I will not bother to go through crop, etc. I'll use a Wacom Intuos 6"x8'. Often times I'll do things in my tablets them combine or fix images in with Adobe CS. and Open Canvas.

I had bought my first one for $200 US Dollars. And my second for $350 US Dollars.

If you are going to get a tablet I recommend a Wacom Intuos 9"x12'. It gives a good deal of space, and is fairly reliable to be running while working with images that are three times as large as 1024 x 768 pixel screen.

Official Wacom Website.: [url]http://www.wacom.com/[/url][/COLOR][/SIZE]