OtakuBoards

The Ramones - Out of date or not?

[Sound_Nin]

[COLOR=DarkRed]It's all just based on prefferance. I love the Ramones and many other old bands, and i also love many new bands. I ussually switch between what music i'm listening to, but eventually come back to it all.

Of course there are others who have never even heard of the Ramones or many others for that matter. As for them, they are out and always will be (unless they decide to listen to them), and for others they could always be "in" and others are either in the mood for them or not (like me).

The one and only band i can [I]never[/I] get sick of is Pink Floyd. No matter what kind of music i feel like listening to, i can always listen to them.[/COLOR]

I personally never thought the Ramones were any good. Almost all of their songs have the same guitar pattern and I rarely hear much difference in the vocals either. Despite that, The Ramones seem to be way more popular then their contemporary Punk Rock bands... I just don't get it.

On the idea of "in. I never really cared if it's popular or not, I just listen to what sounds good... Music really can't go out of style, styles just change from the one they fit in, I think.

The Ramones are just a fun band that capitalized on what they did best. Sure, a lot of their songs sound very similar due to the chord patterns, but's it not like they ever denied that. It's part of what they are and I enjoy it. The Ramones were a major catalyst in many ways; they more or less finalized the genre of punk rock when they came out. There were predecessors that set up the stage for them and following bands pushed it around all over the place, but the Ramones were the ones that finished it.

Regardless of whether one likes them or not, they're important and deserve some amount of respect. Certainly far more so than a lot of the more recent pop punk groups that seem to exist for no discernable reason.

There's really never going to be a point where they aren't of importance, regardless of whether or not the general populace pays attention any longer. Marks in culture made like that by groups such as the Ramones are pretty much irreversible. Taste is always subjective, but I don't see why there needs to be an idea of "this is old, I only listen to new stuff!" from some people. If one just doesn't like them, then that's fine with me lol.

Who is this "he" that said they were outdated anyway?

Guest juzzam
I believe that nothing can go out of style, style is what you want it be. Its not just laid out in front of you, personally if music did go out of [I]style[/I] I dont think the Ramones would.
My three favourite bands (Ramones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd) are often classed as [I]out of style[/I] , but there still my favourite bands.

• 4 weeks later...
In my opinion, "out-of-date" refers to a band who has broken up or died or something like that. Yes, I'm saying that the Ramones are out of date, but it's obviously not out of date to be listening to them, as fans of them will be around forever. It only bothers me when I see kids who aren't even old enough to where they could've seen the band live wearing the shirts and just being obssessed with them. Over here, there's a decent-sized population that thinks that Black Flag and Minor Threat are the best thing to ever happen to music (although half of them would retract that statement if I brought up Green Day...) I've seen much better come out of new artists like The Bronx, who remain very old-school, whilist being a new band.

Well, I don't see how music can be "out of date"; it's not like it has an expiration date printed on it. It can be older stuff, sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything; Elvis still outsells most contemporary musicians, and it's still good stuff.

If you like the music, it doesn't matter how old it is. I think the Ramones are cool, even though the music can be a bit repatative.