OtakuBoards

Who besides me likes classical music?

Tyler Koregaten

Hello,
I am Tyler Koregaten. I must know, who besides me likes classical music? I believe it to be the only true musical genre to be classified as a fine art, which it is. Who, I ask you, upholds the greatness and beauty of this wonderful music? I ,as some of you know, am a State Alchemist and cartographer so I know to appreciate beauty.

Thank you for listening to my comment.

Hey! I definately share your love for classical music. If it weren't for me listening to so much classical music when I was younger, I wouldn't appreciate music nearly as much as I do now. I do disagree with you on one point, however. I wouldn't say that Classical is the [I]only[/I] form of music that should be considered a fine art. For example, Metal music. Now, bear with me here - I'm guessing your conception of what Metal is is very wrong (don't worry, almost everyones is, and I definately don't blame you for this - there's a lot of crap out there that's labelled as Metal but isn't even remotely). Believe it or not, Metal is the closest relative (in song structure) to Classical, as far as modern music goes. Take a look at bands like Nightwish. Nightwish is a metal band that features a female vocalist who sings opera-style, and the music is accompanied by beautiful orchestral arrangements. I'm not saying that Metal is the only other style that could be called a fine art, it's just the only one I know enough about to back it up.

Just curious, who's your favorite composer? I'm quite partial to J.S. Bach's work myself.

Speaking of Bach (here I go again, I'm so sorry :animeswea), I have a little video of Alexi Laiho and Roope Latvala of the metal band Children of Bodom playing a beautiful minuet by Back on their electric guitars, which they had set up to sound like they were backed by violins. It was incredible! Watching them play such a complex classical piece on guitar was completely mesmerizing! It also shows how similar Metal and Classical really are :animesmil

Anyway, back to Bach, he composed a piece called "Thus Do You Fare, My Jesus". I really love the way it builds up, and the end is utterly epic. Have you heard it? If you have, what do you think?

Classical! I can't even begin to describe how much I love classical, even though I've heard so little of what's available. I love all sorts of music, but I always circle back to listening to Classical. ^_^

I don't think it's the only music that can be considered fine art. I've heard other types of music that were absoutely stunning as well. John Williams has written some amazing movie soundtracks like the one's for the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Jurassic Park series. I also really like the christmas music done by Manhiem Steamroller that is a mixture of older christmas music mixed with a bit of modern styles. Quite truthfully until I heard their style of christmas music I was a grinch who didn't like christmas music at all. If you haven't heard their christmas music I highly recommend it as it's totally awesome.

As for my favirote classical music, well one of my favirote pieces is: Violin Concerto in E minor, Opus 64 (Solo Instrument with Orchestra) by Felix Mendelssohn. I just love listening to it. And I also love Moonlight Sonata by Ludwig Van Beethoven. There are more I enjoy, but those two are among my favirotes. :animesmil

[COLOR=#7C0201][SIZE=1]^ That's too bad.

My exposure to classical music covers only the more popular pieces like Vivaldi's 'Spring' from Four Seasons and Tchaikovsky's works from Nutcracker (The ballet schoolmistress made sure that we were familiar with them 'cause we had recitals every four months).

Right now, I'm into stuff performed by choirs like Ode to Joy (from the fourth movement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, was it?). I'm finding it more difficult to listen through insrumental pieces lately so I figured I'd better stick with those that have choirs singing in them. It's probably just ADD. *shrugs*[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I like orchestral music (i.e. the kind one can sometimes find on movie & anime soundtracks). Ordinary classical music often leaves me cold, though--I need something visual or emotional to associate it with.

I wouldn't say I dislike most classical stuff, but a lot of what I hear is either a) so complicated and strict-sounding that it makes it really hard for me to relax, or b) has little raison d'etre beyond just being uber-virtuoso, if you know what I mean. I'd rather listen to a slightly sloppy or maudlin piece that at least tries hint at real meaning than a perfectly polished one which seems to have been concocted solely for artists to show off their abilities.

~Dagger~

I'll just take for granted that, by classical, you are referring to "old, instrumental music".

That said, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Chopin, [b]Vivaldi[/b], Mozart. Amazing. Sheer brilliance. Utter genius.
I like classical music because it is something you really have to [i]listen[/i] to. Things like Winter, anything from Carmen, or even Peter and the Wolf. The music tells a story, is full of nuances, is so ingrained in our culture, it is considered artistic to re-adapt them. There are so many instruments in most classical pieces, so many chords.
It is far superior, technically, than any new music you'll hear. Any one can create a catchy tune, but it takes [i]skill[/i] and [i]genius[/i] to create the kind of music that would have met past eras' standards.

[QUOTE=Godelsensei]I'll just take for granted that, by classical, you are referring to "old, instrumental music".

That said, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Chopin, [b]Vivaldi[/b], Mozart. Amazing. Sheer brilliance. Utter genius.
I like classical music because it is something you really have to [i]listen[/i] to. Things like Winter, anything from Carmen, or even Peter and the Wolf. The music tells a story, is full of nuances, is so ingrained in our culture, it is considered artistic to re-adapt them. There are so many instruments in most classical pieces, so many chords.
It is far superior, technically, than any new music you'll hear. Any one can create a catchy tune, but it takes [i]skill[/i] and [i]genius[/i] to create the kind of music that would have met past eras' standards.[/QUOTE]

Mmmm... I disagree. Here I go onto metal again (Bloodseeker, if you like metal, you'd better try out some classical! Metal is deeply rooted in the classical composers. Unless, of course you consider stuff like Slipknot and Korn to be metal, WHICH THEY'RE NOT, then I could see why this would be an issue). Try bands like Haggard, Kamelot, Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Kalmah, Opeth... the list goes on and on! These guys put tons of effort into balancing their music, making sure that every piece fits, fine tuning the little details to get the perfect cascade of sounds - just like classical music. In true, real metal, you also have to really listen to get everything out of it. Trust me, some of these guys truly are skilled geniuses, but sadly the genre is very rarely given a chance because bands like Slipknot and such parade around pretending to be metal and turning everyone off. It's not all about screaming and beating on stuff. It's about skill and musicality, melody and song structure. Like I said, Classical and Metal are very closely intertwined.

Sorry about that, I got carried away again :animeswea

[QUOTE=Dagger]I like orchestral music (i.e. the kind one can sometimes find on movie & anime soundtracks). Ordinary classical music often leaves me cold, though--I need something visual or emotional to associate it with.

I wouldn't say I dislike most classical stuff, but a lot of what I hear is either a) so complicated and strict-sounding that it makes it really hard for me to relax, or b) has little raison d'etre beyond just being uber-virtuoso, if you know what I mean. I'd rather listen to a slightly sloppy or maudlin piece that at least tries hint at real meaning than a perfectly polished one which seems to have been concocted solely for artists to show off their abilities.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE][color=#503f86]*nods* I generally tend to prefer film scores over classical music, although most of the time they both use full orchestras (like Fullmetal Alchemist does, heh). Film scores have the added attraction of being able to use things like electric guitars and things that didn't exist way back when. I have heard Metallica and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra playing Beethoven's 5th, but it's not quite the same.

There are some pieces of classical music that I really enjoy- Carl Orff's [i]Carmena Burana[/i], for example, The Planets suite and things like Elgar's [i]Pomp and Circumstance: Land of Hope and Glory[/i]. Most of the rest... well, because it's classical it's been played so much I've become sick of it.

And I loathe harpsichords. If there's one way to instantly make me edgy, play a harpsichord. I just hate the sound it makes. So. Much.[/color]

[quote name='Godelsensei]All I really have to say is this: [i]count the chords[/i'].[/quote]

I have! I'm a music lover, so I've dabbled in everything. Metal and classical/orchestral are my favorite. Have you ever counted the chords in a true metal song before? Ever listened to Opeth? Nightwish? Children of Bodom? Ever counted the chords in any of their songs? Probably not. And anyway, more chords doesn't equal a better song. I know that's not nescissarily what you're saying, but still. Anyway, I listened to strictly classical/orchestral music up until maybe 4 years ago. Metal is truly amazing if you just give it a chance (I'm talking about the true stuff here). I noticed on another thread you're into stuff like The Arcade Fire and the Gorillaz (at least I think that was you... I apologize deeply if it wasn't). Trust me, Metal is much much much deeper than that stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with any of those bands, but if you're counting chords, technical skill, songwriting ability, overall composition, stuff like that, then you really should look into metal. If you want to I'd be happy to send you some info on bands you might enjoy.

And Metallica playing with the orchestra isn't all that great, mostly because it's Metallica (okay, this is probably a little biased because I really don't like Metallica). For [I]real[/I] symphonic metal, try Nightwish or Rhapsody. You know, the good stuff.

[QUOTE]That said, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Vivaldi, Mozart. Amazing. Sheer brilliance. Utter genius.[/QUOTE]
YES! Gotta agree with you here! Some of my faves, especially Back, Vivaldi, and Tchaikovsky. Great stuff.

Ugh! I [I]hate[/I] Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance: Land of Hope and Glory"! To each his own - it's fine if you like it - but I can't stand it! Not bashing you here, I just had to say something.

[QUOTE]And I loathe harpsichords. If there's one way to instantly make me edgy, play a harpsichord. I just hate the sound it makes. So. Much.[/QUOTE] :(
... I like harpsichords! lol

Speaking of film scores, I think the Fellowship of the Ring score is incredible! The orchestration is really tight, and It covers everything from quiet and solemn to epic and full. I love it! Anyone else with me here?

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']Speaking of film scores, I think the Fellowship of the Ring score is incredible! The orchestration is really tight, and It covers everything from quiet and solemn to epic and full. I love it! Anyone else with me here?[/quote]

Damn straight. Howard Shore, were he more prolific, would be almost up their with John Williams.
But gods have to [i]produce[/i].
It's sad, actually, because I can think of a lot of movies he would probably have done wonders with the scores for.

I have the Fellowship of the Ring piano book and playing the pieces is a lot of fun, too.

I'm now reminded that the TSO is putting on a Star Wars concert towards the end of June (or was it July?). I'd really like to see that, since it's one of the coolest things I've gotten wind of in a while.
That said, I love the Jurassic Park and Harry Potter scores Williams created. It's interesting, because you can tell he composed them from the octaves. (I'm not thoroughly schooled in theory, so I have to describe it in a primitive way. Boo.) Anyhow, if you listen to the famous low-note high-note from the Skywalker Symphony, you'll notice it's similar to the most memorable sections of the Main Themes from Harry Potter and Jurassic Park.

Somebody, please, explain this better.^^;;

[quote name='Jake of Bodom]And Metallica playing with the orchestra isn't all that great, mostly because it's Metallica (okay, this is probably a little biased because I really don't like Metallica). For [i]real[/i'] symphonic metal, try Nightwish or Rhapsody. You know, the good stuff.[/quote][color=#503f86]I never said I liked it, hehe. I don't really like Metallica either, but it really sounds like you've got your head screwed on when it comes to Metal. I've never heard of Nightwish or Rhapsody, though.[/color]

[QUOTE]Ugh! I [i]hate[/i] Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance: Land of Hope and Glory"! To each his own - it's fine if you like it - but I can't stand it! Not bashing you here, I just had to say something.[/QUOTE][color=#503f86]Fair enough. To be honest, I have heard it rather a lot, and I can only ever listen to it once at a time. It's just the first one that came to mind. Despite the associations with (*groans*) Premeirship Football, Beethoven's 9th is one of my favourites.[/color]

[QUOTE]... I like harpsichords! lol[/QUOTE][color=#503f86]You're on your own there, at least where my music's concerned ^_~[/color]

[QUOTE]Speaking of film scores, I think the Fellowship of the Ring score is incredible! The orchestration is really tight, and It covers everything from quiet and solemn to epic and full. I love it! Anyone else with me here?[/QUOTE][color=#503f86]Surprisingly, I wasn't as turned on by [i]Fellowship[/i] as I expected I'd be. It's great music, but I don't listen to it very often. [i]Pirates of the Caribbean[/i] is much more my sort of thing. A little generic here and there, but it's got great energy to it. The LOTR music's got a great deal more subtlety and variety, but it's not one of my favourite scores.

[quote name='Godel']That said, I love the Jurassic Park and Harry Potter scores Williams created. It's interesting, because you can tell he composed them from the octaves. (I'm not thoroughly schooled in theory, so I have to describe it in a primitive way. Boo.) Anyhow, if you listen to the famous low-note high-note from the Skywalker Symphony, you'll notice it's similar to the most memorable sections of the Main Themes from Harry Potter and Jurassic Park.[/quote]I know what you mean! I was listening to [i]Hook[/i] at one point, and I swore blind it was [i]Philosopher's Stone[/i]. John Williams is fantastic, but the scores have a tendency to blend into one another after a while.[/color]

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']Does TSO=Trans-Siberian Orchestra? That would be incredible! I LOVE the Trans-Siberian Orchestra! They actually helped create Symphonic Metal, by the way. Those guys are incredible, and if they were playing Star Wars, it would be musical nirvana.[/quote]

Ahahaha. God, that is too funny.

Sorry, I'm just used to using the acronym without people asking what it stands for.

I mean the [u]T[/u]oronto [u]S[/u]ymphony [u]O[/u]rchestra. They're pretty cool, too, I guess.

Yeah, I'm a little, shall we say, passionate about the subject of Metal? lol - Sorry I keep bringing it up, I know this is a Classical/Orchestral thread. Metal just keeps popping into my head because all these classical/orchestral songs remind me of metal songs, and then it kind of all goes downhill :animeswea

Anyway, yeah, Beethoven's 9th is a great one. I don't know what you mean about it's association with football, though. Perhaps you'd like to explain...

And yes, Pirates is a really great score. Like you said, it can be generic at times, but I completely agree with you that it's full of energy. I absolutely [I]love[/I] "He's a Pirate"! It's a great song! The second I got my hands on the CD, I sat down and immediately started noodling it out on my flute! I love that song! It's so fun.

Oooooohhh, sorry. TSO could stand for both, so you see my mistake? :animeswea sorry! Well, you've probably heard of Trans-Siberian Orchestra as well, so what do you think of them?

Actually, I've never heard of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I have a friend who probably has a few of their songs, though, so I'll be sure to check them out.

I'm not sure who it's by, but A Chick From Korea is a great piece of modern instrumental, as is The Sinister Minister.

However, to get back on topic (sort of), I am very fond of the use of classical pieces in movies with a contemporary setting (Beethoven's 9th in ROD, for instance), since it sets such an interesting mood. Perhaps it's because they're so well known--you suddenly find something familiar attributed to a setting or event you'd never associate it with, normally.

I love the music from "Pirates". It's a soundtrack that I really ought to own, come to think of it. I find it funny how pirates have pretty much earned themselves their own genre, or at least scale.

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']Anyway, yeah, Beethoven's 9th is a great one. I don't know what you mean about it's association with football, though. Perhaps you'd like to explain...[/quote][color=#503f86]Oh, in the UK there's a programme which broadcasts various football (soccer) events, like the UEFA Cup and Premiership League. They always use these huge pieces of classical music to try and make it seem epic, and I really, [i]really[/i] hate football/soccer, at least the way it's portrayed by all forms of UK media. I must admit, I'm a bit of a prude when it comes to using music akin (and sometimes including) Lord of the Rings to advertise something (I think of as being) so crass.[/color]

[quote name='Jake of Bodom]And yes, Pirates is a really great score. Like you said, it can be generic at times, but I completely agree with you that it's full of energy. I absolutely [i]love[/i'] "He's a Pirate"! It's a great song! The second I got my hands on the CD, I sat down and immediately started noodling it out on my flute! I love that song! It's so fun.[/quote][color=#503f86]Mmm, Klaus Badelt with Hans Zimmer's supervisation. You can smell the drum beats of Gladiator, hehe.

I managed to get my hands on Star Wars: Episode III today, and listened to about three tracks before the batteries on my CD player ran out -_- It doesn't seem as memorable as Episodes I and II, somehow. I was hoping the Anakin vs Obi-Wan music would be able to top Duel of the Fates in terms of its epic feel, but somehow it doesn't quite seem to cut it. But Duel of the Fates it already great...

I've noticed that a lot of Philharmonic Orchestras tend to lack a certain quality of sound compared to others. Depth, or bass, or something. Listening to renditions of game music by the Japan Philharmonic and James Bond arrangements by the Prague Philharmonic, they always tend to lack something in comparison to say, the London Philharmonic. Is there a reason for it, do you know, or is it just how things are?[/color]

Music definitely affects the way we watch movies etc. Lord of the Rings and Star Wars series have definitely wonderful musics.
Apart from that, i love classical music as it is already. Vivaldi, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Corelli are my favorites. However, Bizet (Carmen) and Verdi (Aida) should be mentioned definitely. Monteclair is something i listen whenever i feel a little depressed and it definitely works on me. (La mort de Didon par example :) )
Does any one of you know Sefika Kutluer, when she plays flute i basically pass to another realm... After listening to "The Romantic Flute" by her for a couple of months i started to learn flute. And it has become "my precious". :))

YAY! I play flute too! Everyone thinks it's very strange based on the way I look (crazy clothes, long hair) and the music they think I listen too (in which case they're usually wrong), but I love it! The flute is one of the most beautiful sounding instruments out there. Awesome. Never stop playing music.

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']YAY! I play flute too! Everyone thinks it's very strange based on the way I look (crazy clothes, long hair) and the music they think I listen too (in which case they're usually wrong), but I love it! The flute is one of the most beautiful sounding instruments out there. Awesome. Never stop playing music.[/quote]
How nice, then i directly assume that you are also a fan ofJethro Tull :)) as well.
I love them. Besides, most of the people i know listen both metal and classical music especially if they are good movie watchers. So don't worry nothing weird about it :)

[QUOTE=gwynva]How nice, then i directly assume that you are also a fan ofJethro Tull :)) as well.
I love them. Besides, most of the people i know listen both metal and classical music especially if they are good movie watchers. So don't worry nothing weird about it :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Jethro Tull rocks! And yes, true metalheads know the greatness of classical. I know there's nothing wierd about it! I'm a music lover. I try to dabble in as much of the music world as I can. Flute helped me appreciate music, and now electric guitar lets me explore it.

[color=darkslateblue] Full orchestra. Much love.

I play the cello, so I was always being pulled into classical music. I can't say I love classical music generally, but there are some parts of classical music I adore. Mostly violin literature, or full orchestra scores. I've been listening to Gil Shaham lately (my sister LOVES him), and I really like his playing as well. Seriously...he is [i]so[/i] much better than Joshua Bell.

And I like movie scores as well, but I never buy them. The only ones I've bought are the Lord of the Rings soundtracks, because they are the shiz. :) But full orchestras are *so* great for scores...[/color]

[i]I've noticed that a lot of Philharmonic Orchestras tend to lack a certain quality of sound compared to others. Depth, or bass, or something. Listening to renditions of game music by the Japan Philharmonic and James Bond arrangements by the Prague Philharmonic, they always tend to lack something in comparison to say, the London Philharmonic. Is there a reason for it, do you know, or is it just how things are?[/i]

[color=darkslateblue] Well. In philharmonic orchestras, there are certain levels. First tier, second tier, third tier, etc. If you listen to first tier orchestras (Cleveland Philharmonic, New York Philharmonic, etc.), you're listening to the best, so you can be sure that if there was ever a perfect orchestra, these guys would be near it.

Game music and such would probably never be played by a first tier orchestra, so there can be oddities and some screw-ups. [/color]

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']Yeah, Jethro Tull rocks! And yes, true metalheads know the greatness of classical. I know there's nothing wierd about it! I'm a music lover. I try to dabble in as much of the music world as I can. Flute helped me appreciate music, and now electric guitar lets me explore it.[/quote]

I like guitar when i listen to flamenco especially. But electric guitar, i believe i first truly listened to it with manowar..
With flute and that i guess you can easily form another apocalyptica with a little support :)
By the way all the AMVs i watch have either popular musics or blind guardian, someone can also try it with classics as well and it would definitely be nice
(say Grand March from Aida played with flute and electric guitar for NGEvangelion movie when SEELE's army attack NERV for example, i wish i knew how to make those videos...I think it would give a sense of enigma and enya mixed with Vangelis )