OtakuBoards

Blankets

SunfallE

When I got up this morning it was raining and quite cold. So when I sat down at my computer to check my e-mail I pulled out one of my many blankets and wrapped it around my shoulders while I waited for the central heat to warm the house up a bit.

This got me thinking about blankets in general as I have quite a few of them. For what ever reason I just love blankets! Patchwork, puffy quilts, small ones, 4 & 6 sided granny square crocheted ones, Swedish weave, hand sewn circle ones, fuzzy ones and my all time favorite, the electric blanket!

I started counting the blankets I have and I was astounded to realize that I have close to 30 of them! Since there is only my dog, and me it?s like we have a different blanket for each day of the month. And yet I?m always looking at other cute ones to add to my collection.

I?ve also given hand made blankets to my family and friends. I?ve probably made around 20 blankets to give away. It?s especially fun to make ones for my friends when they are expecting a baby.

So what type of blankets do you guys have? And what?s your favorite type? For me it?s really hard to choose, as there is so many that I like. But I always have to have an electric one; I use that one more than any other type of blanket. Also how many of you have made your own blankets? Over half of what I have I made myself.

I always sleep with an electric blanket (and I turn it up all the way, too). The weather is irrelevant; I just need something to keep my toes nice and toasty, haha. Of course this means that I have to get a little creative with extraneous sheets/covers & what I wear to bed in the summer. :animeswea

I'm also in the habit of draping myself in blankets when I curl up to watch a DVD. It just feels nice to be all wrapped up and cozy.

~Dagger~

I absolutely love blankets! I, like SunfallE, have made many of the blankets in my home. On the back of the chair I am in is one that I made from 3 shades of blue yarn and white yarn. I love to crochet in the fall and winter so every year I have at least one new blanket to add to the collection.

Polar fleece, soft fuzzy yarn, quilts...it's all good. I love curling up on the couch with a mug of cocoa to watch anime. Blankets are very comforting and make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I can curl up in one. I love my blankets! :catgirl:

[SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia]I've never counted how many blankets I have, but I know it's alot! My favorite blankets are my comforter with sunflowers on it and my sister's baby blanket. I like my comforter because I've hid under it many a time when I was scared on a certain night. I like my sister's blanket because 1.It has cute little designs on it! XD There are little hippos and giraffes and birdies and stuff, 2.Because if I get really scared, she lets me sleep under that blanket so that I feel even safer.

Blankets are not only comfy, they're safe havens for scaredy cats like me! For some reason, though, I've never been scared of a storm...^.^[/FONT][/SIZE]

.......I don't like blankets. I'm one of those people who would rather be freezing than be oven hot. BUT! I did make me a blanket recently. It a star wars three piece of fleece that I bought and sewed to a black back. It's cool.
I would have to say my favorite blanket is my cosplay blanket though. I took a few 5'5' squares of every pice of fabric I've used in a cosplay sewed into a quilt. When I am cold It is very nice. And it's fun to think of all the cosplays I made. :catgirl: :animesigh :animesmil :animeswea

[SIZE=1]My mother makes quilts. They're pretty good too. But I don't use them to warm up or anything.

Actually, I rarely ever use blankets to warm up. Usually, I just suck it up "like a man," my father says, and remain cold for a while. Heh. But in the winter, when "being a man" just isn't going to cut it, I use a rough plaid blanket with some sort of pattern. It's red with a bit of black and yellow lines. I only use that in the mornings for breakfast.

When I go to sleep, I love silk, but my parents stopped getting it for me (AND my silk PJs >_<), so I now have a goose-feather packed duvet. I love it. It has a navy cover on it so random dirt doesn't soil it. But silk ownz duvet. Any day. I miss it alot. v_v[/SIZE]

[COLOR=#004a6f]We have this huge silvery grey fuzzy blanket, that quite possibly the softest and comfiest blanket in the world at my house. My siblings and I actually fight over it during the winter time. We can't get another like it cause it came from Saudi Arabia.

Most of the blankets in my house have been around since I was a baby. But they're made of good quality material so they're still in good condition.

In the summer, we also use these blankets that came from saudi, and they're unlike anything I've ever seen here. They're completely woven out of thread. Well, now you're gonna tell me that all fabric is like that. But these blankets are different. They really look like someone simply took thread and wove it together by hand. The individual threads really show. Oh and the blankets also have intricate patterns woven into them, usually having tigers and flowers.

Well anyway, these blankets are perfect for summer. The feel cool against your skin, so you don't sweat on a hot summer's night. I guess you use them if you just wanna feel cosy but not hot.[/COLOR]

[font=Comic Sans MS][b]Lol, SunfallE--It caught me off-guard to realise that this was[i] indeed[/i] about... blankets... but that's only cuz I'm not a trusting soul and I need my brain washed out.

Anyhow, I have but two blankets-- an old tattered, nearly-a sheet-it's-so-worn Star Wars blanket for warm nights, and a 30lb (exaggerating, but not by much) down comforter that I sewed by hand (it's huge, too) for those below-zero nights.

It's nice to be smashed to the bed with a super heavy blanket---"tucked in to an insane degree", as Homer calls it, when the temp drops...or when you're feeling...er...out-of-sorts with the world.
[/b][/font]

My favirote blanket is one my mom made. It has fake fur on one side and it's so soft and fuzzy. I'll even use it when it's not really cold as I love how comfy it is. Though I'll wake up later and end up taking it off the rest of the night cause I overheated. :animeswea

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1][quote name='Lord Dante]Blankets are one of mankind's greatest inventions, i have one, which is huge. i put a layer of chainmail in the center (not joking) to make it [I]really[/I'] heavy. which is great for winter.[/quote]

*whistles* Isn't chain-mail expensive, where did you get a whole load of it from to stick in a blanket? Although I'm pretty sure I've heard of the idea before.

Anyways, I think blankets are great. I like to use the ones my dogs sleep on because I love the smell of my dogs, the often huddle under with me, its all very comfortable.

When I was little I would go everywhere with a large pink blanket/quilty-thing that I would wrap myself up in at any given opportunity. Its also the reason why my brother has a large scar on his head. He was standing on it one day so I yanked it out from under him, causing him to fall and hit his head on the corner of the starcase. Bare in mind he must have been about 5 at the time if not younger. Blankets are dangerous things heh

I once read a Gundam Wing fanfic where the five pilots were obsessed with purple blankets, it was amazingly funny ^_~.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Blankets. I love them. Except, I don't love them when I get warm. I can't sleep through the night with my feet covered. Period. That's just how it is.

But that aside, I own a couple. I've never made my own, I'm not the patient type. I have one that my grandmother made for me. It's my favorite blanket because it's light, so I can take it with me on cold days, and yet it's nice and warm. It's a plaid blanket, and I take it to school with me every day. Because it always rains here, and that makes it cold. It's also a comfort thing. I don't feel comfortable without it there to hide me from the world when they're irritating me.

Usually after a fight with my parents I throw myself in my room and bury myself beneath the big heavy blanket on my bed. At least until I'm convinced I might just suffocate beneath it. :animeswea That blanket has been with me since I was very young, and it's starting to show. It's coming apart at the seems (sp?) and stuffing's coming out...but I love it anyway. :D

[color=darkviolet]Let me just start this post off with a confession: I still have my old yellow baby blanket. Nobody made it for me. It's store bought, the lining can me off of it and it has holes. But it's nice and soft. And I sleep with it too.

Perhaps my most cherished one though is my pink and white baby blanket. I came home in it and the reason it's so special is because it's from my birthmother. Yes people I'm adopted. That blanket and a dress are the only things I have from her.

I have comfetors that go with the sheet sets for my bed. And I have a ratty quilt that was on my parent's bed.

I have two horse blankets (meaning blankets with horses on them) and some blankets that my great aunts made. ONe of my favorites is a peachy colored crochet baby blanket that my great aunt Elsie made. It's in a shell pattern. Very pretty.

Okay so that's my list of blankets and I have 3 with sentimental vaule.[/color]

[SIZE=1]Mmm...blankets.I am always covered up in a blanket,even during the summer when its broiling hot.I have 7 different blankets on my bed including a quilt.I love to stay warm.

But my most favorite blanket is my afghan.Its really big and warm and has horizontal stripes of different colors and patterns throughout it.My favorite stripe has light little pastel colors like those bags of mini colored marshmallows or rainbow sherbert ice cream.It may sound kinda ugly,but it actually looks pretty nice.I have no idea where it came from,but I liked and have been using it ever since.

My second favorite isn't really a blanket,but we use it as one.Its my Care Bears sleeping bag that I have had since I was 5 or 6.My mom bought it for me at a rummage sale slightly used,but now it has holes in the lining and if you hold it up to a window you can pretty much see through it.But that just means its loved.

Also like chibihorsewoman said,I have my baby blankets still too.A plain white one with silky white lining thats it very good condition and one with a bear holding balloons with my first and middle name,birthday and birth weight.My aunt made it for me.[/SIZE]

[FONT=Garamond][COLOR=Indigo]I actually have a ton of blankets and covers on my bed, because I have to have the fans turned all the way up. Dunno why...Other than that I have like 4 throws for my sofa. I love being covered up. I feel safe ^_^[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Lets see, I don't own a bed (I sleep on a couch), so thousands upon thousands of blankets are pointless plus I sleep all wild looking so what blanket I am using tends to be irrelavent. In anycase I use a blanket I've owned since like...forver! Its this NFL blanket that has all the team helmets on it from way back in the day! Its got all the helmets from before the teams changed, like the Broncos! (GO BRONCOS!!) Its pretty comfy, a little old but pretty comfy, a tad scratchy but pretty comfy. I love that blanket and I'll probably end up using it well into my twenties and thirties![/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=SeaGreen]I only have two blankets. A... can't think of the name. Its made of yarn and my mom made it when I was ten or so. Its red and black stripes and I use it to keep the sun out of my room. My other blanky is my quilt. It is the softest and most comfortable blanket I have ever used. Its green and blue boxes. I would write more but I'm going to lunch. Later.[/color]

[COLOR=Blue]I have this big thick blanket from when I was a kid. It's black, and has multi colored dinosaur prints on either side. Green t-rexs, red mamoths, etc. It comes in really handy during the cold weather around here. I like to put it in my bed when it gets cold, and warms me right up. I have it at the foot of my bed, and my cat likes to sleep on it.

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]