OtakuBoards

my image thread[might get image heavy]

PAche

i like making banners and avatars and such but somehow, i can't improve much without proper reviews so i decided to set up this thread.if the response is good i might continue using it to get my precious reivews :animesmil

i don't really make sets, i just fool around with adobe and pictures then get my image.here's someof them

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/mugencopy.jpg[/IMG]
latest one: mugen - samurai champloo

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/Untitled-1.jpg[/IMG]
satoshi - DNAngel

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/shadowbanner.jpg[/IMG]
no particular character

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/fruitsbasketbanner.jpg[/IMG]
fruits basket - one of my earlier tries

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/kibabanner.png[/IMG]
i made this for chaoschris too: kiba - wolf's rain

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/gaarabanner.jpg[/IMG]
gaara - naruto

they're all quite plain because i like plain images and also cos i don't know how else to fill in the spaces :animesighbrutal and blunt reviewing is encouraged

[CENTER][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]I'm not gonna comment on every one of them... I don't have time.

Mugen-
It looks like you just put a filter over the image...

Satoshi-
This could be really good, or kinda iffy depending on how you look at it. At first glance, and even at second it looks awesome. That's really good, cause that's all that most people are gonna give it (If it's just in your sig or somethin', y'know?) But when you look harder... The blendage (Is that a word?) is lacking in finesse. You should have maybe moved the larger image over to the left, to show some more of it? Erm... Maybe... Love it, though. Real neat. Total ownage on the font, though. That's a hard thing to do ^^ How long have you had Photoshop/PSP and what version do you have?

Shadow-
This one I like. I think the person on the right shouldn't be QUITE so bright, and maybe should have a red (Rather than purple) overlay-ish layer over her so she's a bit more blended with the other image. Great job, though!

Fruits Basket-
Awesome for an earlier work! I think you should just take out the silver thing, though. It's pixilated and pulls attention away from the awesome BG. Love the triangles! (Though they might be made a duller color to match? Perfect how it is, though!) Could have chosen a more stand-outish font...

Wolf's Rain-
I love the grid areas. Real neat! And I like how you pulled all of the images together to make them more harmonized. Real great job! I couldn't have pulled that off, that's for sure! ^^'

Gaara-
Nothing bad to say. Nothing at all. Love it. *Cheers*

All need borders. Just a note.

[quote name='me][CENTER][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]I'm not gonna comment on every one of them... I don't have time.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR'][/CENTER][/quote]

Eh, I lied.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

lol.u sure lied.anyway, as for the mugen one, i extracted it, put in the background and scanlines and word and thats it.plain and simple. :D guilty as charged.well i've only started learning adobe photoshop 6th may this year...i got the exact date cos i joined another forum on exactly the same date :animesmil

anyway, the reason why the few banners below satoshi onwards were not as well blended and all was because i did them when i just started.i stopped banner making for awhile then made the satoshi banner and mugen image, then the bleach one.so the earlier tries had to border since i didn't know how to make the border in the first place

thanks for your review, though it wasn't nearly as bad as i imagined any review would be

oh and the satoshi one, i pulled it to the left abit more than needed cos i wanted satoshi's right eye to be visible and the left to be covering the other image so that i could blur it off, putting more focus to the right eye....maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all... :(

[SIZE=1][b]Mugen[/b] was alright -- could've been really good. The whole outer glow isn't working, and the background swallows him up. The typography is fitting, but poorly placed.

[b]Satoshi[/b] had alot of potential, and shows you know what you're doing. A little more practice will make you go far! But for now, the typography is lacking in two ways: 1) because I can't read what's on the left, and 2) because all your text should be in the same general area, rather than make your audience search around. The grid lines looked good in theory, but it 'imprisions' the character. Horizontal scan lines might've done better. Lastly, is the image blending. You had a good idea, for having both a large and small image in there, but the transition is choppy. Try extracting him next time.

[b]Shadow[/b] 'meh' was the first thing coming to mind. The two stocks you used, while good in and of themselves, did not 'unite' well. That was thanks to the blending and just the general color/mood difference in them. The typography doesn't fit either -- it's a clean, tech font with a blue stroke. You may have wanted something a bit grungier than that.

[b]Fruits Basket[/b] looks mediocre, but I can see the time and effort in it. The squiggly line, probably the product of use of the pen tool, the gradient on the squiggly line, and the triangles are all some what advanced, but the way you put them together doesn't work. Each things still feels independent of one another. The squiggly line does not share the same colors as the triangles. The triangles are just hanging on the right side. The typography is bland and undynamic (if that's a work haha).

[b]Wolf's Rain[/b] somewhat mediocre, but again, I see the effort in it. The extraction, not to mention pasting those dang boxy things all around and blending them took a while, and making the two closest images white, and the other two colored was a good idea too. But again, they're not flowing together.

[b]Gaara[/b] your best, hands down. Here you've unified everythign except your typography. The colors are there, it matches the mood, and the face on the right is blended well. Download some new fonts, so you have some variety to work with.

[b]Final Tips:[/b] You'll become really good if you keep with it -- I see the elements there. They're just not unified at all. Go check out other art, and see how they do it. Pay attention to lighting, mood, typography, colors, blending, all of that. Good luck.[/SIZE]

thanks.well, most of the time spent on any banner is when i'm extracting them.i don't really put too much effort in the background and effects, partly because i can't do much to them anyway

i think i can still be considered pretty much a newbie when it comes to graphic designing.like i said, i started a month ago.still, thanks for the wonderful review!

[color=teal]EDIT:[/color] here's the latest one i made:
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/bleach.jpg[/img]

and i made this for my friends using an image she asked me to use.i know the font is hard to read but hey, she asked me to use it.the words were taken from the background of the image.i extracted the characters cos if i didn't, the banner's background cant be seen where its supposed to:
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/euph.jpg[/img]

and my first ever set (although it only consists of 2 images), featuring syaoran from tsubasa chronicles:
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/syaoran1.jpg[/img]
syaoran1
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/syaoran2.jpg[/img]
syaoran2

hmm, i noticed all my banners have a sort of moodiness to them...i don't have any happy or hyperactive banner whatsoever.maybe cos those kind of banners gotta have bright colours like baby pink and light purple and baby blue...not only making them energetic, but also girly.

i hope one day, i'll be able to see a happy banner that isn't too femenine, so i can learn how to make something of that sort - it'll be nice

[color=teal]Please do not double post. Even if no one has posted since your last one and you want to get up some images, either be patient or delete your last post. :/ -Syk3[/color]

[CENTER][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]*heart* Loves the Syaoran one. I like #2 better. The font is totally awesome, and I love everything about it. (Notices that it still need a border...)

I like the second one. Can't read the font to save my life, but hey... It's kinda neat, to say the least. Got a cool feel to it, I think.

Define Strenth-
Love the stock. Love the background. It just doesn't flow... Sorry, but I'm not feeling this one. I also think you might use a grungier (Maybe even grafiti-esque) font. And maybe a chopier background, for this stock. I dunno why, it just doesn't seem to fit right.

A little note. I rated much harder because it's apparent you're getting better. Keep that in mind, 'kay?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

no problem!i put borders in all of the latest one, honest!its just that its white and the background of this forum is near white.......... :D so its near invisible.but it exists, i swear!just look closely and u'll see them.

truth be told, i have no idea how to make backgrounds, so i just either leave it plain or i just use grunge brushes and anyhow brush around.which results in lousy results :animedepr

okie i'll change the font for the "define strength" one, does the words match it btw?i was short of inspiration and didn't want to put any name there

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/bleachcopyedited.jpg[/IMG]
how's this?

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=#332E1D]I think all of these are pretty good banners. The latest one is nice, particularly the brush effects. The fact that you've obscured the character around the edges gives the whole thing a nicely-textured feel, which works to its advantage.

Borders are great, but I think it's important to experiment with them as well. The borders on my current avatar/banner are very simple, but people who know my graphics know that I've done a lot of unique border styles in the past. I think it's really good fun to experiment with that kind of stuff - to experiment with how the image interacts with the page it's sitting on.

If you print screen and work out what the colour code OB's background is, you can use that in your image. So you can make it look like a character is tearing a hole in OB itself, or you can fade your image into OB's background colour, so that you don't actually need a regular border. That sort of experimentation is really interesting and I really recommend trying it out in your own way. ^_^[/color][/font]

Guest Skamish
They all look really cool. The Mugen one looks too...filterish. I think the best one there is the DN angel pic. The wolfs rain looks somewhat blurry, and the naruto one looks too plain. They all look cool, I am just trying to give you as much criticism as posisble. (Crticism is helpful)

[CENTER][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]Love it! So cool!

I's amazing how much text can do for it! It seems to just... All come together. I notice you added some gray in the bg. Nice, yes. *Squints really hard* Yeah, I kinda see the borders. Yay!

Definitely a keeper.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

All your banners are quite nice and are very simple and effective. I like aoran2 the best but it seems as if you did not do much.... It looks like a default backround that was with the render at the time. But then again like I said I could be wrong. Your lastest work is nice I don't like the colors all that much but I like the banner as a whole. Keep up the good work :) :P

EDIT:
The one above syaoran1 is very nice and I love this. The backround is beautiful and it all flows :P

yay!more reviews, and critical reviews too!thank ye all i'll strive to improve my graphic designing skills.i'm still trying to figure out how to make the border irregular, and not just deleted with the polygon lasso tool but something like using a brush to erase it...something like risingsun's current banner...

if anyone has any idea plsplspls tell me.the banners were not made with just OB in mind.so they tend to be the opposite colour of the banner's background.which usually ends up white(the border, not the backgrnd)

btw is it just my computer or is it everyone's problem cos i can't see any images in OB at the moment...not even the bulb next to people's names saying whether they are online or not...

oh, photobucket's undergoing upgrading.but i can see the avatars...i think i'm getting really confused

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Ello, PAche!

Erm, I'm gonna send you a few things I did through PM as example of what James said. (Sinde I don't want to just up your thread with my stuff ^^)I'm not too good at irregular edges, but I have done a few things I like (Look at sakura's art>panda 2 for a... Horrible example. Though that's just one of my templates...)

Hrm... I can see OB images just fine. Maybe it's just your comp?

Also, I have another thing to say about the second Define Strength. I actually think this one would look really cool with a choppy faded border (Like Rising Sun's) Does Photoshop have any presets for that? I know PSP7 had a few, but I made some using the originals as a guide. The only problem... I can't get them to be the gray of OB's background. The closest color I can find to it is 239,239,239. It's not exact, so I haven't used that to my advantage.

Just keep in mind that .gif supports transparancy, so simple erasing aroung shapes and cutting grooves in the border can be done ever so simply.[/SIZE][/CENTER]

here's definestrength v3.0 and v4.0 lol
seems like i've just made a set without realising it.

definestrength v1.0
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/bleach.jpg[/IMG]

definestrength v2.0
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/bleachcopyedited.jpg[/IMG]

definestrength v3.0
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/bleachdeleted.gif[/IMG]

definestrength v4.0
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/bleachdeleted2.gif[/IMG]

up to you to decide which one you like best -^_^- i find v3.0 somewhat...not there...dunno

[CENTER][SIZE=1]You're getting better by the minute! (I'm glad you figured the edge thing out. Us noobs gotta stick together!)

Anywho, here's my comments:

v1-
I like it but (As I said) It just doesn't flow. The font is cool, but doesn't fit the edgy image. I'm really glad you changed it.

v2-
Loves it (Even more seeing it next to v1) But the border would look better black or burgandy.

v3-
To be honest, not as great. The edges look a bit... Pixelated. And the text looks like it just doesn't fit, so it's hanging out over the edge. Not the best of the bunch.

v4-
*heart* That's more like it. Gosh, I really don't have anything bad to say about it! (I'd wear something like that in my sig any day!)[/SIZE][/CENTER]

thanks!i'll be lying low for awhile since the school term is starting next week and my parents arent too happy with me spending too little time on my studies :animecry:

but then again i might be able to sneak past their prying eyes :D

[color=teal]EDIT:[/color] i couldn't resist.i had a sudden impulse to make my very first wallpaper and i could not resist the urge.my impulsive character only made it worse.so here it is, my very first wallpaper made by myself, of course the picture was extracted from somewhere though i cant exactly remember the website

kindly do me a favour, people, and comment :D

[url="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/DNAngelmyself.jpg"]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/DNAngelmyself.jpg[/url]

i've saved a .psd version of it so reviews can be channelled to making it a more impressive one compared to my first-grader work of mix and match

[color=teal]Double posting is one of the most common rules that's broken. This also means that it should be one that most people realize, but I suppose you haven't learned it yet. If you wish to add something to your previous message, use the Edit button in the future. -Syk3[/color]

[Size=1] I Do remind you that Double posting is against the rules.

But now onto the "WallPaper" This is not large enough in my opinion to be a "wallpaper" it looks more like a splash. You over did the motion blur or "blur" in the BG and I really cannot see anything special because of the "Blur" Effect,Its ruining the whole image. The text is out of place and just seems like you put it anywhere on the image just to put it there. The character might be better if he did not blend with the BG. Maybe make him come out. I also suggest you Duplicate the Render and Then mess with the filters to make the character look cool. Also, I suggest you mess with the blending options. Other than that I really do like this piece of work.

It is a 6/10 until you fix the pure blur in the BG

EDIT: As Retribution once told me "STOP USING PREMADE BRUSHES" these brushes look premade and it really dose not take much to make your own. From my second banner on I've never used Premade Brushes. And my work is much better.
[/Size]

[QUOTE=Ima][Size=1] I Do remind you that Double posting is against the rules.

But now onto the "WallPaper" This is not large enough in my opinion to be a "wallpaper" it looks more like a splash. You over did the motion blur or "blur" in the BG and I really cannot see anything special because of the "Blur" Effect,Its ruining the whole image. The text is out of place and just seems like you put it anywhere on the image just to put it there. The character might be better if he did not blend with the BG. Maybe make him come out. I also suggest you Duplicate the Render and Then mess with the filters to make the character look cool. Also, I suggest you mess with the blending options. Other than that I really do like this piece of work.

It is a 6/10 until you fix the pure blur in the BG

EDIT: As Retribution once told me "STOP USING PREMADE BRUSHES" these brushes look premade and it really dose not take much to make your own. From my second banner on I've never used Premade Brushes. And my work is much better.
[/Size][/QUOTE]
uhh...i never used any brushes.i simply used blurs and layers to make the background:Di really have no idea how to use brushes effectively.and i sorta lost you at the Duplicateblahlahblah part :p sorry

[CENTER][SIZE=1][quote name='PAche']uhh...i never used any brushes.i simply used blurs and layers to make the background:Di really have no idea how to use brushes effectively.and i sorta lost you at the Duplicateblahlahblah part :p sorry[/quote]

... Well, at least you're honest.

Anyway, on the Daisuke piece... This one is hard to judge, as it really LOOKS awesome, but it doesn't work together. MAybe make Daisuke bigger or make a 30-50% opacity layer of a larger Daiskue (The same pic prefferably) merged with the bg. It is really hard to give advice to people seeing as I only have PSP7 and I don't know squat about Photo Shop.

Another note. The font does not fit there at all. Move it down (Or up if you feel the need) and make it bigger. Maybe even a different color would stand out more.[/SIZE][/CENTER]

[SIZE=1]Well its a nice job on the BG without brushes but the blur as I had said really dose not work and I suggest you tone it down :P

As for the part about the render layer just forget it....[/SIZE]

here's an edited version of it...i addded some effects, changed the colour of the word and shifted it down, made teh word bigger too.

[url]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/DNAngeledited.jpg[/url]

and here's another wallpaper i did by impulse without any inspiration :animesigh

[url]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/shamankingcopy.jpg[/url]

[SIZE=1][CENTER]revised-
I like it much more this way. I like the little glow-dot-things, and the text looks a whole lot better now. Also, the background doesn't look as bare with the duplicated layer of Daisuke! Good job on that one, it looks super clean.

read between the lines-
This one I also like. One thing that could be changed about it though, maybe the lines could be a bit thinner so that the text doesn't look like it's trying to escape from between the blocks. The stock you used is awesome, but it's a bit more scetchy. Maybe the lines should be too? Ah, that's kind if personal preference. Well, I do like this one alot. I think it deserves a 9.

Like I said, you're getting better by the minute. Keep it up and you could be great![/CENTER][/SIZE]

heh.i thouhght the shaman king one was pretty plain.and here's my third wallpaper ever.its so far the best in my own opinion.

[url="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/darkcopy.jpg"]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/darkcopy.jpg[/url]

fourth wallpaper made with the same style as #3:

[url="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/spikeheadphones.jpg"]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/spikeheadphones.jpg[/url]

its meant to be comical :D

[color=teal]EDIT:[/color] okaaaaaaay.

could smeone tell me if this is acceptable as a birthday e-card?i didn't want to use hallmark like everyone else :D

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/sockbone/otakuboards.gif[/img]

i found the gaara in some website i came across.cute gaara!

[color=teal]Please refer to the double post you made above. -Syk3[/color]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Aw, ain't that just darling?

I think it's really cute. Something that I would recomend is making the frames go slower so you can read it all better.

This is very hard to grade on since there isn't much there. Still, it'd brighten my birthday![/SIZE][/CENTER]