OtakuBoards

Nomad's Banners

Nomad

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1] :animesmil First thread was really successful, for a while at least. Second and third tries were, well, bleh. So here I am with a fourth try at this. Been a while since I've posted anything here (with the exception of maybe one or two banners). If you haven't already guessed this is where I'll be posting the banners I create for comments & critique by you all. So to start things off here are just a couple banners I've done so far. (and yes, all of my banners are in PNG format so bleh).[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[URL=http://img73.echo.cx/my.php?image=anghellicbanner1oo.png][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Tech N9ne Anghellic Banner[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]A banner that I've made where I've been testing out different brushes and colours and messing with the overlay/soft light options to make my own backgrounds.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[URL=http://img217.echo.cx/my.php?image=techliberate4nm.png][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Tech N9ne "Liberate" Banner[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Just a banner I threw together after making the "Anghellic" banner.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[URL=http://img10.echo.cx/my.php?image=marvingreenbannercopy7tr.gif][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Marvin banner[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]A banner that I made after seeing The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Threw it together with tutorial backgrounds....[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[URL=http://img255.echo.cx/my.php?image=hackhelbabanner6rm.png][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Hack Helba banner[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Well... a banner I made for Hack Helba :animesmil . I just like it so much I put it in here.

And unlike the [I]other[/I] threads, this one will use links instead of trying to kill the slower connectino speed members. Only thing they have to worry about is the banners in the posters' sigs. :animesmil [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[CENTER][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]This is a good set of banners. I like them all alot. However, since many people are going to comment on the good aspects, I've chosen to focus on the aspects I think need improvment.

-This does not include the Marvin banner-
Here's where I have a problem with them, though... I mean, they all look far too similar. They all have similar muddy bgs and fuzzed out areas, (Not neccesarily a bad thing) and all the subjects are similar. (Possibly a bad thing)

I'm not the one to take advice from, but I say you try making a cleaner looking one. Just so you don't get stuck in a rut... (Like me and a few other people I know...) It's just that the same grungy bg time after time gets tedious. They could be the best banners in the world, but they still look would tedious.

Anghellic-
Not loving the text that says Tech N9ne, but I love the other font. Also, you could've brought the subject out a bit more, instead of fuzzing him out as well. Good choice of brushes, though! I love the background itself.

Liberate-
I love the font. It's great, really! And yet again, I love the bg... It reminds me alot of the one above ^^ (lol) But seriously, this one (While great) could use some improvement. It just isn't very pleasing to the eyes...

Marvin-
I have nothing bad to say about the Marvin banner. Awesome job!

Hack Helba-
Once again, love it! It's awesome. I'd rate this at least a nine. I would suggest making the subject a bit lighter, and the pixel font a hint clearer... Otherwise, I'd say PERFECT banner! Yay!

If I saw ever banner seperately, I'd singly rate each one about 8.5-9.5, my favorite being the Marvin banner, my least being the Liberate banner. The other two fall in between.

Those are not bad scores at all! You have done awesome work! I love all of them, way better than anything I could do! And you have AWESOME choice in fonts! Keep it up, I'd love to see more![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[color=blue][size=1]Why is everyone so much better than me? Dx

Let me say this, first off. You are a banner-texting GOD. T__T I couldn't do what you can even if my life depended on it.

The pictures you chose all match wonderfully with the background, and so does the text. All in all, I give your banners a 9/10. They're all awesome!

My favorite, though, is the Marvin banner. That effect is awesome! Love it. ^_~[/size][/color]

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Thanks for the comments. The 'Tech N9ne' and 'Anghellic' one have the same background as each other, so they do look similar because of that :animesmil .[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[URL=http://img68.echo.cx/my.php?image=mansmythbanner1ed.png][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]Man's Myth Banner[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Here's a banner I finished a little bit ago. It's for Twiztid's new CD [B]Man's Myth[/B]. I like just about everything in this banner with the exception of the 'Mans Myth' 'June 28th' font. I couldn't figure out what to do, and got lazy and saved it, heh :animeswea . Ideas for what I could do with that text would be appreciated and are welcome.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Anyways, Comments & Critique appreciated.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=royalblue]What is there to say? I've always really liked your style and you always do an awesome job, the same goes for this set of banners. Although I don't know any of the bands you listen to the banners still rock. To be honest I've never found a time when I could point out something I didn't like about any splash you've made. I really wish I could post some constructive critisim here but I have none to give. Just keep doing what you do best. Oh my favorite is the one you made for me, lol big surprise.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]lol, that is a big surprise, never would have guessed that that banner would be your favorite :animesmil . Anyways, here's another banner I've got for y'all. C&C Appreciated.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[url=http://img195.echo.cx/my.php?image=artistob4kh.gif][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]OB Graphic Artist; Nomad[/COLOR][/SIZE][/url]
[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Here's a banner I threw together out of bordum last night, heh. I like this one. Just something different I decided to try :animesmil .[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Well, here we go.

The [b]background[/b] is outstanding, and I wish I could see more of it. The center of it is a nice, pale green; a welcome constrast with the blue/white combos going on now. The vine things look elegant, but the eye candy is torn away from me as I move to the edges of the banner. Lighten it, I'd recommend.

The [b]typography[/b] is a mixed bag. While I like the font (still can't find it), the neon green stroke really kills the mood of this banner. I love how "Nomad" is off the banner, but "OB Graphic Artist" is floating in the middle of nowhere, secluded and post. I'd recommend moving the banner focal point to the left and fade to black as you move to the right. You might want to consider moving "OB Graphic Artist" to somewhere more inconspicuous and remove the neon green stroke. Replace it with a one pixel sickly (dark!) green stroke and you'll be in business.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Thanks for the advice Retribution, I tried a few things. Didn't add a border to any of them because, well, because I'm lazy. C&C Appreciated.

Changed the background colour/lighting in all of them.

[/SIZE][/COLOR][URL=http://img20.echo.cx/my.php?image=nomad500x100banner18gb.png][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Edit 1[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Changed stroke colour. Completely removed the "OB Graphic Artist" text.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[URL=http://img20.echo.cx/my.php?image=nomad500x100banner22pr.png][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Edit 2[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Changed stroke colour. Moved the "OB Graphic Artist" above the end of the "Nomad" font.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[URL=http://img180.echo.cx/my.php?image=nomad500x100banner39gw.png][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Edit 3[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Changed the stoke to a darker green. Also changed the position of the "OB Graphic Artist".

EDIT: Added the font for you.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]*worships Nomad* Thank you SO much. So, so, so much.

As for the edits, I can't really see the word "Nomad," so maybe a slightly brighter shade of green than that in your current edits would work. It took me a while to see the "OB Graphic Artist," so the same advice goes for that too.

I'd recommend rendering a more graceful lighting effect. Aside from that, good stuff. Winner.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]I'm tired of messing with this, lol. So I just made one final one. Lighter stroke, and changed the way "Graphic Artist" was presented. C&C appreciated.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[URL=http://img278.echo.cx/my.php?image=nomadgraphicartistbanner7wb.gif][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Nomad Graphic Artist[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=royalblue][SIZE=2]Aw yes I like this one much better. It's simple but rather cool even without any real pictures and as large as you've made the text it doesn't seem to take up to much space and fits perfectly snuggled in the corner. The faded out text (Graphic artist) on the right side is nice touch. I enjoy the green[I]ness[/I].[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

• 1 month later...
[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1] :animesmil Yea, I decided to try something more of the one/two coloured darker side. heh. I found that green does that nicely. I just got bored and decided to try something I haven't seen.

[B]EDIT[/B]: Well, that took a while. lol. Kinda got caught up with other things, but no worries, I'm back with another banner for youse.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[URL=http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3631/nomadblue0cw.png][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Nomad Blue[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]A light blue and white banner with my name on it. I've been messing around with new things in PS so this is the first thing to come of it. Tried the direct approach for my name, and added a bar in the background because it looks empty. heh. [/color][/size]

[URL=http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/9998/bebopspikeweightupdated5nv.png][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]Cowboy Bebop - "You're gonna carry that weight"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
[color=dimgray][size=1]This is a banner that I've done before (for those of you who remember, but sadly enough, that number is very close to non-existant nowadays), but I decided to "update" it. I changed the font colours and sizes, and changed how a few things looked.

Comments and Critique much appreciated. :animesmil[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Trebuchet MS][B]Nomad Blue :[/B] Well first off I like the "icey" abstract background; That's pretty neat. I'm not a big fan of the white line going across the banner, maybe if it wasn't so simple it would go better with the background design. I have mixed feelings about your text, and I'm not exactly sure what to say. I guess it's just the lowercase "n" that bothers me, but that's just my nack for grammar ^_^;;

[B]Cowboy Bebop :[/B] Oh, that quote seems to fit well with the picture itself, but I find the picture to be kind of low in quality. It's a bit blurry, and that doesn't bold well in my book. Love the background, it's just a tad blurry from Spike's left (his left) shoulder. The font is nice though. Pretty cool.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Yea, the first one I did alot in some places and then got lazier as working came to a close. heh. I just thought I'd try something different with the simplistic font and everything. The Cowboy Bebop one was an older one and wasn't of the best of quality, so I did have the perfect images to work with.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[URL=http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/4081/darklightrelease3mw.gif][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1][B]Dark Light[/B] Release Date(s) Banner[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]A banner I made because I was thinking about HIM's new album [B]Dark Light[/B]. I didn't know what text to put on it so I put the title and the release dates, it comes out (Internationally) on the September 26th and in the US on September 27th.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[URL=http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8601/rotwab7kn.png][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Rip Out the Wings of a Butterfly[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Something that I threw together when I was bored (hell, I'm always bored, what am I talking about? :animesmil ). The quote is from "Rip Out the Wings of a Butterfly" by HIM. It's not a banner, but you'll get over it ;) .

C&C appreciated.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=blue][size=1]Hello again Nomad! =D Been awhile since I've posted your thread, though I have been checking up every now and then. ^_~

I've heard of [b]Him[/b]. In fact, my ex-boyfriend was the one who turned me onto him. I usually just listen to his stuff through the website ('cause I'm too much of a cheapo to actually buy the CD's.. <_<), and I like it. I must track my ex down and make him burn me a copy of Dark Light when it comes out. xD

However, I must get onto rating your stuff, shouldn't I? =P

Your [b]Dark Light[/b] banner is cool. Some know that I normally [i]despise[/i] animations in banners, though I have been known to through them in (though it was a long time ago, mind you, lol). But yours turned out nice. It would've been a bit better had their been a smooth transition between frames, but those are hard to make look clean, so it's understandable. Your stock is of a good quality (I've seen better, but I can't complain), and the font is suitable, too. The background is well done also. Darn you.. I can't find much to whine about. ;-; (I kid, I kid.) I give it a [b]8/10[/b]. Could have done better with the animation, but that's about it.

Hmm.. I can't load your [b]Rip Out the Wings of a Butterfly[/b] image. =\[/size][/color]

[SIZE=1]Forgive me if my critique is erroneous... it's been a while.

[I][B]Dark Light[/B][/I]
The [b]stock[/b] fits the mood of the banner with the facial expression and black clothing. However, the stock does not blend as crisply with the background, and there's also a filmy outline to it. I would recommend duplicating the layer and applying a soft light (if you're using photoshop) to crispen the color. Good placement, by the way.

The [b]background[/b] I love. The color is there to a noticeable degree, but not overwhelmingly so as is the case with many 'abstract sigs' that spare no color of the rainbow. Heh. It's also a good way to unify the stock with the background; similar colors, and a nice, open plane for the typography to be laid upon. Bringing me to my next point...

Your [b]typography[/b] is very good as well. I'd say that on this rare occasion, your pixel font is a very good choice (I'm not a fan of them). The font choice for "Dark Light," however, I'm not too fond of. It feels like it's slightly imposing upon the stock (I would guess the main focus), and takes center stage. If that was your goal, more power to you. The only recommendation I would have in the case would be to move the pixel font closer to "Dark Light," ideally directly under it. Be careful not to let them blend into one another -- a light gray stroke might do the trick.

[I][B]Rip Out the Wings of a Butterfly[/B][/I]
I won?t go into too much detail ? it looks like one of those ?shut-up and enjoy? pieces. And I?ll do just that. You make my job easier with this one, because I don?t really have much to say about this one. It feels chaotic, but in a good way, and the only qualm I have is that the heartogram stands out a lot and feels quite awkward. That aside, I enjoy this.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Kitty][SIZE=1][COLOR=Blue]I normally despise animations in banners, though I have been known to through them in (though it was a long time ago, mind you, lol). But yours turned out nice. It would've been a bit better had their been a smooth transition between frames, but those are hard to make look clean, so it's understandable.[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]
[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Trebuchet MS][B]Dark Light :[/B] That would be my only suggestion as-well. Your background design didn't seem to appear to be much until I acutually concentrated on it, and once I did I noticed just how unique it looked. It sort of reminds me of Lord of the Rings, and the language that was craved into the ring. The picture is of decent quality and I enjoy the light white boarder that outlines him. I'm not sure if that was intended or if that just how it came out after feathering up your cropping. Your choice for font and text placement also fits in nicely.

[B]Rip Out the Wings of a Butterfly :[/B] This is something I've never seen from you before, but after seeing it; It is effident that you used PhotoShop. I very much enjoy the way you put togher this piece. The boarder design along with your abstract background is placed togher nicely. The thing that really got me though was the Him symbol. I really like the overlay appeal to it, and how some of it is partcialy consumed by the background. Well done. I'm looking forward to what other goodies you will construct next.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 5 months later...
[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]I bet none of you ever fathomed you'd see this thread again, yea? :animesmil Well, here it is anyway. Here's the first of a few, I'll edit later whenever I conjour up more of them. And don't forget about the one in my sig at all times.

[IMG]http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/5671/uzunarubanner8ze.gif[/IMG]
One of the smallest sigs I've done. Just threw it together with a background I'd thrown together a couple days ago. I really like the older drawings of Naruto and Sakura, it gives the characters more depth to them.

Adding more later.

Comments and Critique are always appreciated.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[size=1]I think it was rather innovative (or perhaps I've just never seen it done before) that you had "Uzumaki Naruto" above the banner, hanging in space. I think that's my favorite part of this banner.

On the whole, the typography is fine, although I don't think the Kingspike font works all that well here, but it doesn't really need changing. Naruto is just as well, although his facial details are somewhat blurry or nondescript when compared to his hair. Finally, and most important, I think, is the background. It being abstract is all well and good, but to me, it feels like it has no purpose, and you'd be better off just taking it away. The entire thing is undynamic, and the color doesn't really suit Naruto all that well.

And it's great to see you back.[/size]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Yea, wasn't really shooting for anything special with it, just to past the time, you know? I wasn't partial to my name being Kingspike there either, in fact, I wasn't partial of my name being there period, but I felt that it was a bit empty so I threw something in there to take up some room. I ended up messing up on the banner (with the border and whatnot) like halfway through and tried to finish it well, but I didn't really. Bits of it came out blurry and the border is less disireable than I want. Ah well. I'll be back later with more. [/FONT][/SIZE]