OtakuBoards

Art- 2 pics. Original art and DMC fanart

GTK

So I'm pretty new at using photoshop to color my art T_T and I'm in desperate need of a crit, tips, whatever.

Both images were done to practice coloring on, so they aren't great ^^; And it'd be great if I could get some feedback on the color job rather than the images themselves (but any feedback at all would be great XD )

pic one~

[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23782[/img]

(info- inked sketch, colored in adobe photoshop... time- maybe 3-4 hours?)
I totally didn't know what do to do with coloring his hair T_T I got there and it was like my brain died on me. I tried something new with the eyes though, and I sorta like how they turned out. The rest is....meh?

Pic two~

[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23783[/img]

(info- pencil sketch, colored in adobe photoshop... time - no idea T_T but I'd guess maybe around 6-8 hours?)
Yeah, this is supposed to be Dante from Devil May Cry 3 ^^; the pic was done as a request for a friend of mine and was for his AIM icon... since I wanted to practice coloring more, I just sort of through his body in there T_T so it's way off. I rather like how most of the colors turned out, though the obvious anatomy problems keep me from liking this image ^^; My friend liked his icon though, so I guess that's all that counts *shot dead*

Randomly, I also did the image in the banner in my sig. It was the first CG I did, which is why I didn't include it here ^^; (there are my second and third) A bigger version of it can be seen at my website [url=http://www.redvoid.com]redvoid.com[/url] (right as soon as you enter the site... the banner is actually an edited version of my top image, so...)

Youve done quite a fine job I would say, the first one I like quite alot the har has the nice shine on it which it a nice effect and It is just overall done well I have nothing to say that is bad about it really its just really great, but maybe a diffrent hair color next time or a darker or lighter color that dark red dosent really seem to fir the overall feel blue hair actually might look cool or black or even a blondish/yellow color. The second one is nice but and the glow effect was overdid in distance if you pulled that closer to his body but had the same fading effect it would be nice. The body and jacket colors are nice and blend quite well good shadow effect where it would be darker ect.

Well actually what I meant by the outline is that some parts seem a little overdone. But I would really really say that you did a very nice job. But then again this is my first time reviewing drawn images colored with PS.

[QUOTE=Ima]Youve done quite a fine job I would say, the first one I like quite alot the har has the nice shine on it which it a nice effect and It is just overall done well I have nothing to say that is bad about it really its just really great, but maybe a diffrent hair color next time or a darker or lighter color that dark red dosent really seem to fir the overall feel blue hair actually might look cool or black or even a blondish/yellow color. The second one is nice but and the glow effect was overdid in distance if you pulled that closer to his body but had the same fading effect it would be nice. The body and jacket colors are nice and blend quite well good shadow effect where it would be darker ect.

Well actually what I meant by the outline is that some parts seem a little overdone. But I would really really say that you did a very nice job. But then again this is my first time reviewing drawn images colored with PS.[/QUOTE]

^_^

Funny you mentioned making the hair blue or blonde on the first pic O_o because I thought about both! I went with red in the end htough, because he had one blue eye and one yellow one already ^^; (I did the eyes first)

On the second one of Dante, I totally know what you mean about the red glow/outline ^^; It was thrown in last minute because he blended too much with the dark background... But next time I try it, I'll pull it in closer to the character and see if that helps anyway~

Thanks for the comments and such XD *loves*

[SIZE=1]The eyes in the first are pretty d**n good. The way you did them looks pretty realistic. The rest of it is alright, I just don't like the endings of the hair. I'd recommend cleaning your linearts in photoshop before coloring so you get richer tones, etc.

I can't really decided if the second is better than the first. You certainly put more work into this one. I don't really like the way you colored his hair, but it looks pretty hard to do =p. I also don't like his strap, only because it looks awkward, not so much of the colors as the drawing itself. By the way, what's up with the batwing-esque thing floating near his head? Hm...

I'd say very good overall, and extremely hot for a first try in photoshop. I trust you already know how to use tolerance and all that jazz, as these came out pretty well.[/SIZE]