OtakuBoards

How much do the avarage manga/anime artist get paid.

animebitch01

:( This is been on my mind lately, before i thought nothing but to make my animation come to life. and this is been concerning me, how much do the average anime/manga get paid? i'm wanting to be an anime artist ever since i found out it was called anime. but to become rich to do so is been worrying me that, is this the right route to take?
i've been searching in the internet for this answer, so far the average anime/manga artist get paid less than the average japanese labour worker?/
but what about clamp? and other major artist?
what do you guys think? :catgirl:
what do you think is important, money or to be able to do what you like as an occupation? :animedepr

[COLOR=Navy]i guess that is a hard question to answer. if you look at some artists, they took the hard route up (being an assistant artist, designer, formater) before they even had some series of their own. others are just naturally talented and get straight to doing there own series for a company. if you were talking about how much money it makes, it would depend on many things. Book sales, which company you worked for, advertisements...etc. while anime creators are highly revered here and in japan, i would say that they make enough money to keep them satisfied. since they work in the media department, the creators do get a healthy sum of money. it's like the people here in the states such as Dreamworks or Pixar. it's just a different form of animation.

oh and to answer your last question. while it would be nice if you could work doing what you like, sadly not all positions are open. naturally there are peole who do jobs that they excel at, but sometimes you just have to suck it up and work to bring in the bacon[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=animebitch01]:( This is been on my mind lately, before i thought nothing but to make my animation come to life. and this is been concerning me, how much do the average anime/manga get paid? i'm wanting to be an anime artist ever since i found out it was called anime. but to become rich to do so is been worrying me that, is this the right route to take?
i've been searching in the internet for this answer, so far the average anime/manga artist get paid less than the average japanese labour worker?/
what do you think is important, money or to be able to do what you like as an occupation? :animedepr[/QUOTE]
Do what you like, as long as you get paid enough. I'd rather write for TV for $30,000 as opposed to being a chef for $100,000.

If this is what you really want, flesh out on your own at the start. Write a manga or do an anime(you may need to collaborate) and show it to a company. Every company. If they say no, ask what they thought was wrong and take detailed notes. If you really try, you will make it.

[quote name='Otaku America][COLOR=Navy']Unless you work at Gonzo or Production I.G., the average salary should be around $125,000 a year. [/COLOR][/quote]
There is no way that's accurate. A company can't afford to pay every artist they employ six figures.

[quote name='Morpheus']There is no way that's accurate. A company can't afford to pay every artist they employ six figures.[/quote][COLOR=blue]Yeah, but I just thought he meant yen, and since the yen sign isn't readily available, he used dollars instead.

125000 yen would make a lot more sense. ;)[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][COLOR=blue]Yeah, but I just thought he meant yen, and since the yen sign isn't readily available, he used dollars instead.

125000 yen would make a lot more sense. ;)[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
125000 yen is only ~$1250.00. That would be more a monthly salary.

[COLOR=blue]Yeah, I guess that smiley face doesn't really show humor, heh. My mistake. It was just a joke as to how poor artists usually are.

In all seriousness, though, I imagine an anime/manga artist would have about the same payment as any other frequent artist does. So, people who make comics, maybe, or something... Come to think of it, what does any average artist make? O_o

Throw me a bone, people. I'm science, not humanities.[/COLOR]

I don't think too many can actually get rich from simply being an anime/manga artist, if any at all.

I think one of the best things would be to be able to do something for a living that you enjoy. I certainly wouldn?t do anything just for the sake of a nice pay check; that there just isn?t me, but I also wouldn?t struggle while doing something I loved. But if one can have it both ways? ~_^

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][COLOR=blue]Come to think of it, what does any average artist make? O_o

Throw me a bone, people. I'm science, not humanities.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I would say it really depends on the sorts of art work an artist produces, their level of skill where they work that plays a large role on how much they bring in. I think there really are some starving artists out there, but I also think that's a common misconception because you know you can find them in a lot of different places. A friend of mine from a family of six lives pretty comfortably and both of her parents are artists although I don't know exactly what it is the two of them do.

[QUOTE=animebitch01]:( This is been on my mind lately, before i thought nothing but to make my animation come to life. and this is been concerning me, how much do the average anime/manga get paid? i'm wanting to be an anime artist ever since i found out it was called anime. but to become rich to do so is been worrying me that, is this the right route to take?
what do you think is important, money or to be able to do what you like as an occupation? :animedepr[/QUOTE]
well I could say that me being japanese( im a bragger/show offer) can tel u but..i duno..i think it dependz on the salez of the manga n the publishing company n how popular it is n stuf but wel my mom haz a frend who ownz a manga shop caled mandarke(hav u herd of it?) in osaka n her huzband iz the president of the company n shez the vice-prez..wel he rote a few manga n i could say that they r prety rich(jus lerned al of this recently)
n wel i duno if i waz the manga sales but i think ownin the store n all that..wel i think doin wat u like iz the most important thing cuz if u r enjoyin ur work it wil be like ur makin mor money..n i hope 2 be a manga-ka someday n liv in japan but i also want 2 be a interior designer so wel i hav 2 much dreams...N E way it al dependz som people start off az assistantz or get there work in magazinez n stuff like shonen sunday then they can relly be a manga-ka..if there work getz a lot of peoples attention..(doz this sound 2 formal?)

[QUOTE]There is no way that's accurate. A company can't afford to pay every artist they employ six figures.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Navy]The simple fact is, it is an accurate estimation and not some made up number. Any major animation studio can easily pay their artists a 6-figure wage. Production I.G. pays [B]all[/B] their artists over $150,000 DOLLARS. To the topic creator, I suggest you email Production I.G. because they're looking for artists.

Just make sure you have what it takes. [/COLOR] :D

[QUOTE=Otaku America][COLOR=Navy]The simple fact is, it is an accurate estimation and not some made up number. Any major animation studio can easily pay their artists a 6-figure wage. Production I.G. pays [B]all[/B] their artists over $150,000 DOLLARS. To the topic creator, I suggest you email Production I.G. because they're looking for artists.

Just make sure you have what it takes. [/COLOR] :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks :animeswea i have lots of time before i'm on to that stage .
so in pounds that would be......
£75000-£100000.
man! that is a lot. these days they have been stories on site where the artist have claim is really hard work and have been skint eversince they started. thanks for the tip it would help me in the long run. ^-^
heh.........^o^-
:D