OtakuBoards

[LMS] Round Three (winner: Retribution)

Sun

[COLOR=Red][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/JustinTruong/Round3copy.jpg[/IMG]

It's time to start Round Three.

[QUOTE=Hack Helba][COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Trebuchet MS]

Round one : [B]Sean[/B] vs [B]sakurasuka[/B]
Round two : [B]Kitty [/B]vs [B]Imi[/B]
Round three : [B]Retribution[/B] vs[B] Hack Helba[/B]

Winners from each round will move up a branch onto the final three, Where ONE of the contenders will be voted out leaving the final two to duke it out for the honor of being the Last man standing![/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Round 1: This battle will be between [SIZE=3][B]Retribution VS. Hack Helba[/B][/SIZE].

[SIZE=2][B][U]Here are the rules for the battle:[/U][/B][/SIZE]
[B]Theme:[/B] [SIZE=3]Propaganda[/SIZE].
[B]Dimensions:[/B] Your choice.
[B]Deadline:[/B] Monday, August 8th [Due to the request of the two participants]

[SIZE=2][B][U]The Judges:[/U][/B][/SIZE]
Rising Sun
Doc
Goddess

Each of you shall post your piece and the judges will post a 2-5 paragraph statement on which they like better and why.

Let the Engagement commence.

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][B][i]AIM Chat[/i][/B]
[B]Helba:[/B] Propaganda? I had to look up the definition.
[B]Retri:[/B] LMFAO

[URL=http://img38.imageshack.us/my.php?image=propagandaround31up.jpg][IMG]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8884/propagandaround31up.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Bombs away.[/SIZE]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Can't go wrong with pie, and can't go wrong with Uncle Sam.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]
[COLOR=RoyalBlue][13:45] [B]Retribution[/B]: edit your post and say "[B]Let the voting commence![/B]"
[13:46] [B]Hack Helba[/B]: Okies.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24174&stc=1[/IMG][/CENTER]

[size=1]Wikipedia defines propaganda as such:
[quote name='Wikipedia]A specific type of [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message"]message[/url] presentation aimed at serving an agenda. At its root, the denotation of propaganda is 'to propagate (actively spread) a philosophy or point of view'. The most common use of the term (historically) is in [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics"]political[/url'] contexts; in particular to refer to certain efforts sponsored by governments or political groups.[/quote] [b]
Retribution:[/b] Your pic is an awesome combination of two pieces of World War II propaganda. A Russian poster, and Chinese, and both are amazing. I do notice, *since the stocks were scans* that the original text is slightly pixelated and blurred. I think that these do a decent job of inspiring/motivating the people as to their cause. The text is a little confusing at first, but the more I read it over and over, it seems to slowly make sense. Sort of motivating through example. "The women chose to fight, what will you do" type of thing.

[b]Hack Helba:[/b] Uncle Sam is classic. The colors, and text all seem to blend well... enough. The text all seems a little too clear to match the character, and the border/paper look. I had noticed, in the upper left hand corner, that it has a red blur. I mean.. a darkend area that doesn't match the rest... just a bit uneven. Well, all around the border, it darkens and lightens. It also has a great looking pie... Xp

Well, the time has come for me to cast my vote. I have to question myself, "Who produced the best graphics piece? Who created the most persuasive piece?" Even though it is very persuasive, and tempting... my vote is going to have to go to [b]Retri[/b]. Both competitors fought well, but I just prefer the classic, war propaganda. Congradulations to both. ^_^ Good luck in the next round to the winner.
[/size]

[size=1]Propaganda, a wide range of art can be/is based on this word. Obviously, you two saw this word the same, but completely different. It's interesting, and a tough vote.

[b]Retri[/b]- You chose more of a serious tone. The busy traffic of writing balances well with the excitement of the shots of tanks and people. Even for someone who wouldn't understand Russian or Chinese, they would be able to look at this graphic, and tell that there's something important going on. It reminds me of when you watch a war movie, how there's that one scene that is composed of just radio broadcasts, newspaper flashes, clips of old war footage, explosions, and so on and so forth. Portraying both Russia and China only says one thing to me: communism. And coming to that conclusion, this graphic's idea is to promote communism. Or rather, express how it was something that was being pushed and enforced during the World War eras.

My favorite part of this graphic is the Chinese soldier. It's great how that side of the graphic is bursting with activity, but his expression stays calm and almost playful. But I'll agree with Doc that the font is blurred and fuzzy. Though, this might not have been able to avoid, so I can't bark too much on that one.

[b]Helba[/b]- You seem to have chosen more of a light-hearted tone with fun little messages. The picture makes me giggle. It screams "bribery" and "desperate" at me. I personally like the border and imperfections; it looks more vintage and worn out. Which is basically how the situation of this war--it's getting worn out and played out. Thus, giving no motivation for new blood to circulate through the veins of the United States military forces. This piece delivers the message of how lately, it seems that the US has been trying to get the people to join the military, or at least try to help with getting this country above the surface. And it's funny because the US is considered the "big brother", yet it's having to struggle to keep its people from giving up ambition.

Again, I agree with Doc on the usage of the font. It is out of place for the era of this picture. However, it's clear and vibrant. There's one thing that I can't get past; the "mmm" bubble. It just doesn't feel right at all.

--This is most difficult to decide, for me anyway. The message of "propaganda" stands out firmly in both graphics. I was looking forward to seeing the message actually radiating from a graphic, and not necessarily the quality. Though, of course, the quality of the graphic is important; just not key. You both did an amazing job of flooding the graphic with a strong understanding of history and the meaning of propaganda.

So, for the sake of the tourny, my vote has to rest with [b]Retri[/b]. The power behind the elements in your graphic blow me away. Helba, your graphic is absolutely brilliant, but it just didn't get enough of me.

Phenominal job you two! [/size]

[QUOTE=Goddess][size=1]Propaganda, a wide range of art can be/is based on this word. Obviously, you two saw this word the same, but completely different. It's interesting, and a tough vote.

[b]Retri[/b]- You chose more of a serious tone. The busy traffic of writing balances well with the excitement of the shots of tanks and people. Even for someone who wouldn't understand Russian or Chinese, they would be able to look at this graphic, and tell that there's something important going on. It reminds me of when you watch a war movie, how there's that one scene that is composed of just radio broadcasts, newspaper flashes, clips of old war footage, explosions, and so on and so forth. Portraying both Russia and China only says one thing to me: communism. And coming to that conclusion, this graphic's idea is to promote communism. Or rather, express how it was something that was being pushed and enforced during the World War eras.

My favorite part of this graphic is the Chinese soldier. It's great how that side of the graphic is bursting with activity, but his expression stays calm and almost playful. But I'll agree with Doc that the font is blurred and fuzzy. Though, this might not have been able to avoid, so I can't bark too much on that one.

[b]Helba[/b]- You seem to have chosen more of a light-hearted tone with fun little messages. The picture makes me giggle. It screams "bribery" and "desperate" at me. I personally like the border and imperfections; it looks more vintage and worn out. Which is basically how the situation of this war--it's getting worn out and played out. Thus, giving no motivation for new blood to circulate through the veins of the United States military forces. This piece delivers the message of how lately, it seems that the US has been trying to get the people to join the military, or at least try to help with getting this country above the surface. And it's funny because the US is considered the "big brother", yet it's having to struggle to keep its people from giving up ambition.

Again, I agree with Doc on the usage of the font. It is out of place for the era of this picture. However, it's clear and vibrant. There's one thing that I can't get past; the "mmm" bubble. It just doesn't feel right at all.

--This is most difficult to decide, for me anyway. The message of "propaganda" stands out firmly in both graphics. I was looking forward to seeing the message actually radiating from a graphic, and not necessarily the quality. Though, of course, the quality of the graphic is important; just not key. You both did an amazing job of flooding the graphic with a strong understanding of history and the meaning of propaganda.

So, for the sake of the tourny, my vote has to rest with [b]Retri[/b]. The power behind the elements in your graphic blow me away. Helba, your graphic is absolutely brilliant, but it just didn't get enough of me.

Phenominal job you two! [/size][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]As to 2 of the judges voted for Retribution, I declare Retribution the winner of this round. There's no need for me to give you my opinions in this thread. I'll just talk to each of you on AIM. Good battle and everyone should look forward to the Elimination Round that is coming up next. Good battle, and good luck in the finals.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]