OtakuBoards

Music Genres

DeadSeraphim

We create new terms,words etc to express something that we cannot express with our daily/regular vocabulary in general. If some people need to call names to some kind of things i believe it is because they feel like something is lacking under a more general definition/term. So it is quite understandable when i feel like evey kind of hip-hop sounds the same to me if i am not really interested in that kind of music.It only means "I" do not have any need to differentiate the genre into sub-genres. But even if i don't care i really do respect the people who do.
By the way i think it is great to have such a deep knowledge so that relating every subgenres to a specific band :) -thanks to you i have new groups to listen to now jake of bodom :animesmil

Most wellcome :D Now thanks to you i know what kind of music i should be asking in the metal store next time i go there (it feels stupid without the subgenre names if you are not going directly to buy a specific group especially given the way mr-know-it-all in the store stares at you and talks sarcastically all the time-the conversation becomes really painful with such sentences like: you see i like sepultura and manowar very much but i am also looking for something like demons&wizards kind of stuff :animesigh well what do you suggest :P) Avant-Folk Metal,Gothic Metal,Scandinavian Style Death Metal and Symphonic Metal ( i think this list of sub-genres is the perfect evidence that i am growing old plus especially looking at the playlists of the last few months which is full of with blind guardian, apocalyptica and metallica :animeswea )

I'm glad I could help with something! And it looks like you already have some absolutely great bands on your playlist (Manowar, Demons & Wizards, Apocalyptica and Blind Guardian, just to name a few!). All I can say is use the subgenres to the point that makes you happy and comfortable. Don't try to memorize them all if it doesn't suit you... it'll just get pointless. By the way, listen to Children of Bodom.

[COLOR=DarkRed]Meh. I just call it Classic Rock (Not to be confused with Crap Rock ((AKA New Rock))) because that's what I listen to. Progressive Rock is probably the only other one, because my favourite band, Rush, practically built that Genre from the ground up. To me, Metal is Metal. Rap is Crap. The only division that really exists, to me, is between the rock from the Golden Age and this new immitation Rock. Like margirin it tastes!

Oh, and somtimes I set aside a genre called Can-Rock. I don't know about you, but I find a big difference between Canadian Rock Groups and pretty much every other. Maybe it's because Can-Rock is considerably better, who knows. [/COLOR] :cool: