OtakuBoards

Music Genres

DeadSeraphim

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Going through Music Movies & TV in the last few weeks there's been a lot of arguments about genre... I know the degree of some member's genre usage here, but I was wondering what your opinions are on the use of genres, and which ones you tend to personally use.

Personally I don't put much stock in genres (at least not to the degree that some people do) but I do use them - my own definitions are rather broad, however, with the extent in my playlist right now being: Hard Rock, Rock, Metal, Hip Hop, Alternative and Punk. Hard Rock is the only subgenre that gets used, and only really for specific music that I don't like being mixed in with other Rock music. lol

That said, I'm sure if I showed a real genre nut my list of artists they'd happily extend that to something in excess of 40 genres long, but I don't care. I find it almost disgusting how much people get into subgenres and macrogenres these days. I honestly don't know why I have to describe something as 'alternative post rock with elements of screamo' when I could just say 'Well, they're pretty rock' and people would have a general idea of what I'm talking about. But that's just me, I guess. heh.

So yeah. Opinions?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I'm with you. I've never really put too much thought into genres. I've just gone with an "If I like it, I'll listen to it" kind of approach to most of my music. I've really never felt the need to describe the music I listen to with paragraph long genre titles (not to say that people who do so are wrong).[/color][/font]

[SIZE=1]I love music, but I'm definitely not a nexpert of genre classification lol. Jake is the man concerning this subject.

My genres typically show as hardcore, metal, death metal, metalcore, acoustic, and rock. These are pretty general categories since (as you said) I'm sure someone with extensive knowledge of genres could provide me with a lot more then those few lol.[/SIZE]

I don't really follow, it goes over my head really. What's the difference between metal and metalcore, for example? I don't tend to class what I listen to into any stupid genres, because a) I'm lazy and b) I don't know what half the genres mean anyway. Someone used an expression once, "Genre whore" I believe, lol. That's what I'm not.

Okay, I'll have fun with this one!

First of all, there are Genres. Genres are umbrella terms that are used to describe entire families of music. This includes Rock, Folk, Metal, Hip-Hop, Country, Jazz, Nu-Metal, etc.

Then there are subgenres (Rock - Psychadellic, Folk - Bluegrass, Metal - Melodic Death Metal, Hip-Hop - Rap, Jazz - Smooth Jazz, Nu-Metal - Rapcore, etc).

Okay, first thing's first: Subgenres exist for the exact same reason everyone in your family has a different name. You're all part of the same whole, but each of you is a completely different person!

Now the only genre I really know anything about subgenre-wize is metal. There are quite a few. Now most people say that they aren't important and it's just nit-picky, but here's the thing those people fail to understand: they're important for describing a band. For example: I listen to Metal. Awesome. But do Sonata Arctica and Nile sound alike? Hardly. Almost not at all. They're part of the same genre, but are completely different. That's why Sonata Arctica is called Power Metal and Nile is called Technical Death Metal. It helps one know if they will like a band or not. For example, let's say I don't like Doom Metal at all, but I totally love Folk Metal. If someone said "we can listen to My Dying Bride or Elvenking." I would ask what subgenres they were so I could decide what I'd enjoy more. I wouldn't like My Dying Bride because I hate Doom Metal, but I'd love Elvenking because I'm totally stoked on Folk Metal.

The point is, subgenres exist because just metal is far too vast a world to encompass properly with one term. Yes, it's all metal, but it all sounds so incredibly different. That's why the difference between Blackened Death Metal and Progressive Power Metal matter. They're completely and utterly different styles, but they're still part of the same whole. It has nothing to do with making sure everything has a label and catagorization (hell, there's plenty of metal bands that are completely impossible to classify!). It's about describing the music. It's about understanding the style and ethos behind the music. That's why subgenres matter.

Also, some bands would hate to be associated with certain types of metal. For example, nearly all Black Metal bands to want to be recognized as Black Metal and would never accept just being called Metal.

And I also know that this post will probably be followed with a bunch of posts telling me that . :animesigh Whatever.

Anyway, here's a list of metal subgenres for you all to criticize and say I'm stupid for knowing:

Avant-Garde Metal (Arcturus)
Black Death Metal (Behemoth)
Black Metal (Naglfar)
Brutal Death Metal (Mortician)
Celtic Metal (Geasa)
Dark Ambient Metal (In the Woods...)
Death Doom Metal (Poema Arcanis)
Death Metal (Bloodbath)
Deathgrind (Circle of Dead Children)
Deathrash (Deathchain)
Doom Metal (My Dying Bride)
Epic Metal (Midieval Steel)
Folk Metal (Finntroll)
Glam/Hair Metal (Poison)
Goregrind (Sublime Cadaveric Decomposition)
Gothic Metal (After Forever)
Industrial Metal (Godflesh)
Melodic Death Metal (Opeth)
Metalcore (Unearth)
New Wave of British Heavy Metal [a.k.a. NWOBHM] (Iron Maiden)
Oriental Metal (Melechesh)
Power Metal (Hammerfall)
Progressive Metal (Nevermorel)
Scandinavian Style Death Metal (Kalmah)
Speed/Thrash Metal (Slayer)
Stoner Metal (Kyuss)
Symphonic Metal (Nightwish)
Technical Death Metal (Cynic)
Tolkien Metal (Blind Guardian)
Unblack Metal (Admonish)
Vedic Metal (Maha Yadnya)
Viking Metal (Amon Amarth)
Winter Metal (Immortal Souls)

There's a pretty comprehensive list of Metal subgenres. There are some prefixes and suffixes you can add (such as Blackened- or -core), but I haven't bothered with those seeing as they're more like extra descriptors than subgenres themselves.

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I can't argue with the consensus here, I'm no expert on any genre and just happen to listen to whatever I happen to be listening to. Most of my CDs are Rock/Metal though they'd be more related to the genre of rock than metal, [B]Thin Lizzy[/B] would make up most of my staple songs to listen to, although there's a good helping of [B]Metallica[/B] thrown in.

Another big genre I'd be a fan of, but don't have any CDs of would be classical music, I started out as a big fan of it back in primary school and still enjoy listening to the classic music radio station Lyric FM. I confess I'm a much bigger movie fan than I am a music listener. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Gavin][SIZE=1]

I can't argue with the consensus here, I'm no expert on any genre and just happen to listen to whatever I happen to be listening to. Most of my CDs are Rock/Metal though they'd be more related to the genre of rock than metal, [B]Thin Lizzy[/B] would make up most of my staple songs to listen to, although there's a good helping of [B]Metallica[/B] thrown in.

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Haha... Thin Lizzy. What legends.

May I ask the question that why is this music forum constantly talking about metal anyway? It's interesting because I would associate hard/death/metalcore with people who frequent the internet obsessively.

Personally, I appreciate more on the Hip Hop/Rap/R'n'B side of things. Of course with a bit of Duran Duran to spice the 80's tongue. ^_~

There are some very decent artists out there, like Nas, Mos Def (Beaut - he talks about day-to-day shizzle), and others.

Perhaps if you wanted to begin the journey to experimentation with this side, why not try N*E*R*D? They merge metal, rock, rap, hip-hop -type stuff.

It seems rap and that is becoming a much more universal thing for more and more white people appreciate it rather than shooing it off with the opinion that all it discusses is "pimpin' hos and bitches". Which, albeit, alot of it does.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='Zidargh']It seems rap and that is becoming a much more universal thing for more and more white people appreciate it rather than shooing it off with the opinion that all it discusses is "pimpin' hos and bitches". Which, albeit, alot of it does.[/quote]
Pretty much all Australian hip hop is about day to day kind of stuff, and is extremely universal. There's a lot ofpolitical stuff too, but it's all great. If you can stand the accent (many people hate the accent for some reason - 'It aint legit 'less its wesside!!! >:O') I'd recommend finding stuff by the Hilltop Hood or The Herd. Butterfingers and Two Up are great too.

To Jake: How many people who actually follow metal know that crazy list of subgenres? How many people do you talk to daily about the stuff that responds in turn with 'They're kind of Avant-Garde Metal, but some might say Brutal Death Metal.' Unless you're hanging around forums filled with hardcore folk like yourself, I'm betting most of those genres go unused. It all seems so useless, I'm sorry.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Aiyisha][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]
To Jake: How many people who actually follow metal know that crazy list of subgenres? How many people do you talk to daily about the stuff that responds in turn with 'They're kind of Avant-Garde Metal, but some might say Brutal Death Metal.' Unless you're hanging around forums filled with hardcore folk like yourself, I'm betting most of those genres go unused. It all seems so useless, I'm sorry.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Actually, most of the forums and friends of mine that are into metal know most of those. And to you it probably [I]is[/I] useless because you aren't really into Metal in the first place (because if you were, you'd probably know at least a handful of those). It all really is just for us metalhead folks and the bands that play each type of music. If you're into hip-hop, you won't (and have no need to) know what Blackened Speed Metal is.

I honestly think at some point subgenres get ridiculous. There's no need for a lot of these classifications. At the rate these things are being made, pretty much anything that isn't completely derivative will be it's own subgenre. We have to end it somewhere.

I think genres are important in the sense that they allow people to trace the history and evolution of music. They're also useful if you want to recommend something to someone... but as far as arguments go and the general call-it-this-or-you'll-die-a-thousand-painful-deaths mentality some people have, I think it just goes too far. To be honest, there's not a single person on this forum I've come across that's anywhere near as bad as some people are about these things on other forums or even in general life, despite what some may think. I might disagree completely with some takes on these things here, but man... go to some other strictly music-based and realize how tame this place is in comparison lol. It's almost like they're divided into gangs.

I dislike the cliche "I just like good music!!" thing because, let's face it, pretty much everyone has certain things they do prefer. Genres are good at sorting that and allowing new things, but I don't think they're the end-all-be-all of anything... and in some ways I think the insistance that genres remain pure and categorized to this degree is detrimental (which happened with punk rock in the 70s even). I think they're doing more harm to music and its evolution than anything useful in that sense.

To Jake: How many people who actually follow metal know that crazy list of subgenres? How many people do you talk to daily about the stuff that responds in turn with 'They're kind of Avant-Garde Metal, but some might say Brutal Death Metal.' Unless you're hanging around forums filled with hardcore folk like yourself, I'm betting most of those genres go unused. It all seems so useless, I'm sorry.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Actually most if not all are used. Also I would be one person that knows all of those genres but at the same time disagree with some of them as they are not 'real' genres in the first place. Examples being Scandinavian Style Death Metal, Oriental Metal, Tolkien Metal, Winter Metal and Vedic Metal. I also think that some genre labels are not needed especially Technical Death Metal that honestly should just be labeled Death Metal with the rest. Also Unblack metal is really actually only "Gothic Metal" bands in disguise most are like Dimmu Borgir's new music style so we really shouldn't consider that a true genre either.

Despite that he did forget one sub-genre of doom metal. Sludge Metal and In The Woods... is avante-grade black metal. Dark ambient metal would be along the lines of stuff that Velvet Cacoon would almost do. Dark Ambient also seems to prevail in the black metal legions of France if nowhere else, most black metal bands seem to at least dabble in the art of making at least one dark ambient track on their album usually though.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']They're also useful if you want to recommend something to someone... but as far as arguments go and the general call-it-this-or-you'll-die-a-thousand-painful-deaths mentality some people have, I think it just goes too far.[/quote]:laugh: I know you're referring to me here! lol. I actually only [i]really[/i] care when people say thatl nu-metal is Metal. Because it's not.

[quote name='Jake of Bodom]:laugh: I know you're referring to me here! lol. I actually only [i]really[/i'] care when people say thatl nu-metal is Metal. Because it's not.[/quote]

Actually, I wasn't really, but take it as you want :p

I go to other forums aside from this one and they're largely music based. As I said in the post above, I really do not think anyone here (even youself lol) is really all that bad when it comes down to things. People can be much, much worse... to the point that I wonder if they even like music or just making up words to call music.

[SIZE=1]Ahem...[color=silver]get a life[/color].

Who really feels the need to memorise each and every sub-genre in one genre must have a lot of free time. The only sub-genre's I use in 'Metal' would be Death, Heavy and Classical. Sub-Genre's just annoy me, as Aiyisha said, people will generally know what your talking about if you said one band or group were 'rock'.

I'm not meaning to be mean, but seriously, I've yet to hear someone I know talk about Avant-Garde Metal or Deaththrash Metal. Can we not just say, 'Metal', would that not be so much easier, then a simple question of [B]'oh, and do they scream?'[/B].

That sums it up for me.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Aiyisha][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]That said, I'm sure if I showed a real genre nut my list of artists they'd happily extend that to something in excess of 40 genres long, but I don't care. I find it almost disgusting how much people get into subgenres and macrogenres these days. I honestly don't know why I have to describe something as 'alternative post rock with elements of screamo' when I could just say 'Well, they're pretty rock' and people would have a general idea of what I'm talking about. But that's just me, I guess. heh.

So yeah. Opinions?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I don't think there's anything disgusting about sub-genres in and of themselves.

It's important to understand that it depends on how far someone wants to go in terms of knowing about music. It's like video games: like the whole "first person adventure" versus "first person shooter" argument with Metroid Prime. I think many people who want to be really specific would call Metroid Prime a FPA. But most casual gamers will just see it as a first person game, which is therefore a FPS like any other first person game.

So, sub-genres and more specific classifications are relevant. As Tony said, they can be useful when it comes to looking at the evolution of something (be it music or something else). For a person who is really into music or games or whatever, perhaps it's worth getting into that detail. But obviously most gamers or music fans don't care at all.

The only problem, I think, is when people get into the "you absolutely can't call it this genre" situation. If people who really care about genres want to argue about that, I don't see why it should matter to anyone - let them go at it 'till they're blue in the face.

The main issue is when you get people getting so into the politics (with people who really don't care), that it becomes a pointless argument and nothing really productive comes out of it. But I don't really see that happening terribly often. [/font]

[quote name='Sean][SIZE=1]Ahem...[color=silver]get a life[/color'].[/SIZE][/quote]

Ahem... [COLOR=navy][DELETED][/COLOR]

And you know what, music [I]is[/I] my life, and it's the only [color=navy][EDIT][/color] thing I have to hold on to right now. If I want to memorize every subgenre for metal, then I damn well will. I love the subgenres. I love being able to search for Folk Metal and find a listing of an entire group of bands that all have that sound that I'm in the mood for at that time. If I'm really in the mood for [I]specifically[/I] blackened power metal, then I'm gonna search for blackened power metal bands and get an entire list of stuff that is going to fit what I'm in the mood for perfectly. Not once did I say everyone should care - and I'm very, very aware that most people don't. I'm not sitting here telling you that [I]you're[/I] an idiot for [I]not[/I] knowing them, am I? No, I'm not.

And look, if subgenres are so dumb, I'll bet you've called a movie an "action movie", or a video game an "RPG", or a car a "Ferrari", or a computer a "Dell", or a store a "supermarket", or a resturaunt a "buffet" - so you know what? Quit saying I'm an idiot for doing the same with music. I quite frankly don't care at all whether you don't want to take the time to care about subgenres, so quit telling me why they don't matter to you - because I really don't care. Thanks.

[color=navy]Watch the language. OtakuBoards doesn't allow members to work [i]around[/i] the censored words, either. Also, watch the flaming. If you both continue this, I [i]will[/i] close this thread.
--Manic[/color]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='Jake of Bodom']And look, if subgenres are so dumb, I'll bet you've called a movie an "action movie", or a video game an "RPG", or a car a "Ferrari", or a computer a "Dell", or a store a "supermarket", or a resturaunt a "buffet" - so you know what? Quit saying I'm an idiot for doing the same with music. I quite frankly don't care at all whether you don't want to take the time to care about subgenres, so quit telling me why they don't matter to you - because I really don't care. Thanks.[/quote]
Noone said subgenres are dumb, geez. I use them too, as I said myself at the start of this thread - it's just your own use is somewhat excessive when compared to some [and, if Tony's post is to be believed, pretty normal compared to others]. I honestly [i]cannont[/i] see the need to have that many subgenres, and even Amorpheus said some of them could easily be combined because there extremely similar. If you can that's cool - but you'll never convince me that a list that big is necessary, heh. Like Tony said it's probably even detrimental so some degree.

But whatever. [i]It's all good[/i]. Chill out man. lol Throwing curses around was never a conducive way to get your opinion across.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Noone said subgenres are dumb, geez. I use them too, as I said myself at the start of this thread - it's just your own use is somewhat excessive when compared to some [and, if Tony's post is to be believed, pretty normal compared to others]. I honestly [i]cannont[/i] see the need to have that many subgenres, and even Amorpheus said some of them could easily be combined because there extremely similar. If you can that's cool - but you'll never convince me that a list that big is necessary, heh. Like Tony said it's probably even detrimental so some degree.

But whatever. [i]It's all good[/i]. Chill out man. lol Throwing curses around was never a conducive way to get your opinion across.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]XD.

My apologies if I came across as insulting, music is [b]my[/b] life too, but I don't feel it necessary to find out every single sub-genre of one genre. And yes, I also use a variety of sub-genre's, but I wouldn't rattle through a list in my brain to see what one particular band are like. And films, they are so much easier to recognise, if there was genre again intertwined into Action, Horror or Thriller, I wouldn't use them for it would most likely just annoy me in a conversation.

Again, I use sub-genre's to a minimalist degree; I'm not saying they are stupid, I'm saying that an excessive amount around the one topic can get frustrating especially when it came to your [i]large[/i] list, o.O;;

--

And to Manic, again, my apologies, I never meant it to come acorss as a flame. ^_^;[/SIZE]

But whatever. [i]It's all good[/i]. Chill out man. lol Throwing curses around was never a conducive way to get your opinion across.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Oh, that list is definately far from necessary for sure. Like I said, I just like it myself, and I know most people don't. Look, even I draw the line at some point. If you think [I]I'm[/I] bad, I say (on a music board site), there was this huge flaming argument about what was "real Troll Metal". Even [I]I[/I] thought that was utterly rediculous! :laugh:

Apparently I came across to everyone as trying to say that all those subgenres are necessary, but I really don't think so. I mean, knowing the difference between Death Metal and something that's not Death Metal is very important, but beyond the really general stuff like that it's not all that important. I just like it because it gives me the feeling that Metal is it's own entire world to explore. I dunno.

[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]And I also know that this post will probably be followed with a bunch of posts telling me that this entire list is utterly useless.

Anyway, here's a list of metal subgenres for you all to criticize and say I'm stupid for knowing:[/QUOTE]
:laugh: Boy, did I see [I]that[/I] coming from a mile away.

Guest toboeFan
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Very interesting...u almost had them all hehe...but I have to disagree with you on this: [/FONT] I just don't think that Nightwish can be cathegorized as ''Just'' Symphonic Metal, they have classical/symphonic influences of course! but I'd considered them as Power/Gothic Band with a classical (wonderful) touch! Unfortunately, their latest album...(Once) sucks...everyone thinks It's a masterpiece, but I THINK it's too commercial, at least for my taste...[/FONT] :D [FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]Okay, I'll have fun with this one!

First of all, there are Genres. Genres are umbrella terms that are used to describe entire families of music. This includes Rock, Folk, Metal, Hip-Hop, Country, Jazz, Nu-Metal, etc.

Then there are subgenres (Rock - Psychadellic, Folk - Bluegrass, Metal - Melodic Death Metal, Hip-Hop - Rap, Jazz - Smooth Jazz, Nu-Metal - Rapcore, etc).

Okay, first thing's first: Subgenres exist for the exact same reason everyone in your family has a different name. You're all part of the same whole, but each of you is a completely different person!

Now the only genre I really know anything about subgenre-wize is metal. There are quite a few. Now most people say that they aren't important and it's just nit-picky, but here's the thing those people fail to understand: they're important for describing a band. For example: I listen to Metal. Awesome. But do Sonata Arctica and Nile sound alike? Hardly. Almost not at all. They're part of the same genre, but are completely different. That's why Sonata Arctica is called Power Metal and Nile is called Technical Death Metal. It helps one know if they will like a band or not. For example, let's say I don't like Doom Metal at all, but I totally love Folk Metal. If someone said "we can listen to My Dying Bride or Elvenking." I would ask what subgenres they were so I could decide what I'd enjoy more. I wouldn't like My Dying Bride because I hate Doom Metal, but I'd love Elvenking because I'm totally stoked on Folk Metal.

The point is, subgenres exist because just metal is far too vast a world to encompass properly with one term. Yes, it's all metal, but it all sounds so incredibly different. That's why the difference between Blackened Death Metal and Progressive Power Metal matter. They're completely and utterly different styles, but they're still part of the same whole. It has nothing to do with making sure everything has a label and catagorization (hell, there's plenty of metal bands that are completely impossible to classify!). It's about describing the music. It's about understanding the style and ethos behind the music. That's why subgenres matter.

Also, some bands would hate to be associated with certain types of metal. For example, nearly all Black Metal bands to want to be recognized as Black Metal and would never accept just being called Metal.

And I also know that this post will probably be followed with a bunch of posts telling me that . :animesigh Whatever.

Anyway, here's a list of metal subgenres for you all to criticize and say I'm stupid for knowing:

Avant-Garde Metal (Arcturus)
Black Death Metal (Behemoth)
Black Metal (Naglfar)
Brutal Death Metal (Mortician)
Celtic Metal (Geasa)
Dark Ambient Metal (In the Woods...)
Death Doom Metal (Poema Arcanis)
Death Metal (Bloodbath)
Deathgrind (Circle of Dead Children)
Deathrash (Deathchain)
Doom Metal (My Dying Bride)
Epic Metal (Midieval Steel)
Folk Metal (Finntroll)
Glam/Hair Metal (Poison)
Goregrind (Sublime Cadaveric Decomposition)
Gothic Metal (After Forever)
Industrial Metal (Godflesh)
Melodic Death Metal (Opeth)
Metalcore (Unearth)
New Wave of British Heavy Metal [a.k.a. NWOBHM] (Iron Maiden)
Oriental Metal (Melechesh)
Power Metal (Hammerfall)
Progressive Metal (Nevermorel)
Scandinavian Style Death Metal (Kalmah)
Speed/Thrash Metal (Slayer)
Stoner Metal (Kyuss)
Symphonic Metal (Nightwish)
Technical Death Metal (Cynic)
Tolkien Metal (Blind Guardian)
Unblack Metal (Admonish)
Vedic Metal (Maha Yadnya)
Viking Metal (Amon Amarth)
Winter Metal (Immortal Souls)

There's a pretty comprehensive list of Metal subgenres. There are some prefixes and suffixes you can add (such as Blackened- or -core), but I haven't bothered with those seeing as they're more like extra descriptors than subgenres themselves.[/QUOTE]

To Jake Of Bodom:
You cannot really say all those types of metal are different sub-genres because of the fact that most of those bands made that up, even though they sound just like the others. I mean there are some main sub-genres of metal:

Black Metal (Most of the stuff from finland)
Medival Metal (Dragon Slayer)
Gore Metal (Exhumed)
Thrash Metal (Hirax)
Folk Metal (Agalloch)

also, no Americans make good metal, unless your in a hair metal band, other then that. It just doesnt work. Like all this slipknot crap its all the same mindless generic crap they feed you on MTV.

But still, Its better not to stick to sub-genres, people use them to make it seem like their more into the music because they know of the "style"

[QUOTE=skyatyourfeet]To Jake Of Bodom:
You cannot really say all those types of metal are different sub-genres because of the fact that most of those bands made that up, even though they sound just like the others. I mean there are some main sub-genres of metal:

Black Metal (Most of the stuff from finland)
Medival Metal (Dragon Slayer)
Gore Metal (Exhumed)
Thrash Metal (Hirax)
Folk Metal (Agalloch)

also, no Americans make good metal, unless your in a hair metal band, other then that. It just doesnt work. Like all this slipknot crap its all the same mindless generic crap they feed you on MTV.

But still, Its better not to stick to sub-genres, people use them to make it seem like their more into the music because they know of the "style"[/QUOTE]

Okay, first of all, most Black Metal comes from Norway, NOT Finland. Black Metal was born in Norway (unless you count Venom :laugh:). Finland doesn't have a whole lot to do with Black Metal.

And the subgenres you listed are definately not the "main" subgenres. If you are listing the "main" ones, you absolutely [I]have[/I] to include Power Metal and Death Metal. As for the ones you listed: Folk is actually a subgenre of Black (usually), Gore is a subgenre of Death, and Medieval is just a descriptor, not a subgenre.

As far as your comment on American Metal - it's true that the American Metal scene is weak (plus the fact that American television and radio has everyone brainwashed into thinking Slipknot and Korn are Metal bands), but there are some absolutely phenomenal American Metal bands out there ([B]Kamelot[/B], [B]Lamb of God[/B], [B]Nevermore[/B], and [B]Nile[/B] to name just a few off the top of my head).

[QUOTE]Very interesting...u almost had them all hehe...but I have to disagree with you on this: I just don't think that Nightwish can be cathegorized as ''Just'' Symphonic Metal, they have classical/symphonic influences of course! but I'd considered them as Power/Gothic Band with a classical (wonderful) touch! Unfortunately, their latest album...(Once) sucks...everyone thinks It's a masterpiece, but I THINK it's too commercial, at least for my taste... [/QUOTE]
I know that Nightwish is more than just Symphonic Metal (thanks for noticing though! :D ). I just put them there because they are at some point Symphonic Metal and it gives people a good idea of what that might sound like.

:animedepr And I liked Once the best! :animecry: I thought it was their most mature album in nearly every aspect. Plus the symphonic orchestration was superb! Epics like Ghost Love Score and Dark Chest of Wonders made the album for me.

Well yes your right, Finland Is more for the White Power Metal.

Mainly what I was trying to get acorss is it all basically sounds the same. Just they have fancy names.

Like theres:

Thrashcore
Grindcore
Powerviolence
Hardcore Punk

but most of them sound the same

its just the fact that its too many genres that useless, when they can all be the same thing.

Guest toboeFan
[FONT=Century Gothic]Ah! and I'd put Therion on ''Symphonic Metal..''They're just...amazing! :animestun [/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic]''Once'' has 3 great songs...the rest is just...bull****! who said Slipknot plays music??? Clowns...[/FONT][QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]Okay, first of all, most Black Metal comes from Norway, NOT Finland. Black Metal was born in Norway (unless you count Venom :laugh:). Finland doesn't have a whole lot to do with Black Metal.

And the subgenres you listed are definately not the "main" subgenres. If you are listing the "main" ones, you absolutely [I]have[/I] to include Power Metal and Death Metal. As for the ones you listed: Folk is actually a subgenre of Black (usually), Gore is a subgenre of Death, and Medieval is just a descriptor, not a subgenre.

As far as your comment on American Metal - it's true that the American Metal scene is weak (plus the fact that American television and radio has everyone brainwashed into thinking Slipknot and Korn are Metal bands), but there are some absolutely phenomenal American Metal bands out there ([B]Kamelot[/B], [B]Lamb of God[/B], [B]Nevermore[/B], and [B]Nile[/B] to name just a few off the top of my head).

I know that Nightwish is more than just Symphonic Metal (thanks for noticing though! :D ). I just put them there because they are at some point Symphonic Metal and it gives people a good idea of what that might sound like.

:animedepr And I liked Once the best! :animecry: I thought it was their most mature album in nearly every aspect. Plus the symphonic orchestration was superb! Epics like Ghost Love Score and Dark Chest of Wonders made the album for me.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=skyatyourfeet]Well yes your right, Finland Is more for the White Power Metal.

Mainly what I was trying to get acorss is it all basically sounds the same. Just they have fancy names.

Like theres:

Thrashcore
Grindcore
Powerviolence
Hardcore Punk

but most of them sound the same

its just the fact that its too many genres that useless, when they can all be the same thing.[/QUOTE]

No, Finland is more for Blackened Power Metal (Children of Bodom, Kalmah, Imperanon, Norther, etc.), and all kinds of Metal for that matter.

Grindcore and Hardcore Punk aren't even Metal styles to begin with, the -core suffix is just a descriptor, not a genre, and whoever claims to play "Powerviolence" (WTF?) obviously pulled that "genre" out of their @$$es to try to start some movement or something. Powerviolence? What the hell [I]is[/I] that, anyway?

And if you want to try to convince me that Power Metal sounds like Death Metal, go ahead, but they don't all sound the same. You can't get around that.

[quote name='toboeFan']Ah! and I'd put Therion on ''Symphonic Metal..''They're just...amazing! ''Once'' has 3 great songs...the rest is just...bull****! who said Slipknot plays music??? Clowns...[/quote]

Yeah, Therion probably would have been a better choice. You know your stuff and make me happy :D