OtakuBoards

I need a list of dark mangas. Domestic or Import.

Otaku America

[COLOR=Navy]Hello,

I need some help finding a list of dark mangas. I'm into dark mangas with a mature theme like Deathnote, Monster, 20th Century Boys, & Berserk.

Can anyone suggest anymore? I'm not into any manga outside the "dark-theme." For those into dark-themed mangas, answer the following below.

Is Blame any good? How many volumes?

Samurai Executioner & Immortal Blade any thoughts?

Yes, it doesn't matter if it's import or domestic since I can read both even if Japanese is my 4th language learned.[/COLOR]

Edit: Wow, the above sentence sounded like a broken sentence. Speaking Japanese, German, & Spanish is messing up my American language, lol. :rotflmao:

Guest alchemist 101
:o [COLOR=Blue]so dark is your deal....huh. well there is only ONE that i can think of. And that would be PRIEST. that is the darkest manga that i have ever seen. its preaty good!![/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Otaku America][color=navy]Hello,

I need some help finding a list of dark mangas. I'm into dark mangas with a mature theme like Deathnote, Monster, 20th Century Boys, & Berserk.

Can anyone suggest anymore? I'm not into any manga outside the "dark-theme." For those into dark-themed mangas, answer the following below.

Is Blame any good? How many volumes?

Samurai Executioner & Immortal Blade any thoughts?

Yes, it doesn't matter if it's import or domestic since I can read both even if Japanese is my 4th language learned.[/color][/QUOTE] I would reccomend Lady Snowblood, but you'll have to wait a few weeks to get it. Due to the fact it isn't out yet, and yes Samurai Executioner isn't bad.

[quote name='kayutori_sama']I would reccomend Lady Snowblood, but you'll have to wait a few weeks to get it. Due to the fact it isn't out yet, and yes Samurai Executioner isn't bad.[/quote]

[COLOR=Navy]Lady Snowblood? I heard it's like Kill Bill, is this true?[/COLOR]

-------

[quote]feh..... seems strange that ur looking fer "dark" manga.... type o' people i find i bit odd.....[/quote]

[COLOR=Navy]Please don't spam my thread. I don't find anything strange about "looking" for dark manga or being a "bit odd" for that matter. Please elaborate on why this is [B][I]"strange?"[/I][/B] Different strokes for different folks. You might prefer Fruits Basket but I don't.[/COLOR] :nope:

[QUOTE]LoL thats a good question[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Navy]First of all, that's not a question and secondly, what was the point of your post if it carries no value to my thread? Nothing is wrong with dark-themed manga if you're mature enough to handle it. [/COLOR] :nono:

I recommend [b]Gunslinger Girl[/b]. Though on the whole it's more thoughtful than violent, it's definitely dark and really quite disturbing, at least in some parts. You don't have to worry about the loli factor, if that's not your thing; the girls aren't sexualized at all, and the male characters aren't just throwaway cut-outs. The artwork is excellent and the action scenes are superb. The anime basically only covers the first two volumes, so if you're watching it, you don't have to worry about there being much of an overlap.

[b]Peacemaker Kurogane[/b] can come off as being light-hearted and has plenty of comedic moments, but don't be fooled. It becomes increasingly emotional, brutal and bloody as it progresses. The main drawback in this case is that it's the sequel to a previous manga, Shinsengumi Imon Peacemaker (which is not licensed). It can also be thought of as being the sequel to the television series. Reading a brief synopsis or summary of Shinsengumi Imon Peacemaker should be more than enough for Peacemaker Kurogane to make sense, though.

How about something by [b]Kaori Yuki[/b]? Angel Sanctuary is quite dark, as are both of the Count Cain series. Same goes for another popular manga-ka, [b]Kazuya Minekura[/b]... Saiyuki may not quite fit the bill for you, but Wild Adapter has vastly superior artwork and is much more moody and serious. Bus Gamer (licensed by Tokyopop but not yet released) might also be worth considering.

[b]Banana Fish[/b] has a gritty, seedy, absolutely excellent storyline and great dialogue. People might refer to it as being shounen-ai, but don't let that put you off; the BL-ish themes are easily ignored.

As for unlicensed manga, have you read [b]Anne Freaks[/b]? I never could quite get into it, but it's definitely very dark. What about [b]Elfen Lied[/b] and [b]Gantz[/b]?

EDIT: I forgot to mention [b]Alien Nine[/b] and [b]Shadow Star Narutaru[/b]. I think the American version of the latter features some minor edits, but I don't know much about their nature.

~Dagger~

For a dark, broody anime movie, I reccommend both of the Vampire Hunter D flicks, especially the second one, Blood Lust.

I'll also agree with Dagger; anything by Kazuya Minekura is pretty good for violence and mature themes.

Would Samurai Deeper Kyo fit in this genre? I'm only asking because there seems to be an exceptional amound of violence and blood shed, not to mention Kyo's whole attitude and the way he comes across.

For a web comic, I'll have to admit that Nihilism: The Pandora Project fits in. I just hope the artist updates it soon.

Edit: I just remembered, Tokyo Babylon and X could fit this genre too. Yes, they are by CLAMP, and yes, there are underlying themes of shonen-ai, but if you can get past that then you can enjoy the profound distress on Subaru's (Tokyo Babylon) and Kamui's (X) parts.

There is an edge to these two that Card Captor Sakura and CLAMP Campus Detectives will never have.

Guest Mishina Eikichi
Battle Royale. This manga is dark and has alot of shock value, and is one of my favorite mangas.

This manga is not so bad, Madara. Its has some killing in it, and is pretty cool.

I have read this one but it sounds good, Arm of Kannon.

Gyo is a old school horror manga and is really good. Its only 2 volumes long,( volume 2 is when it starts to really get good and dark) and at the end of Vol. 2 there a really cool and creepy short story.

But out of all of them I would suggest that you give Battle Royale a try.

Guest Balisong
This thread convinced me to join the forum, because I have to say that Blame! is the [I]best[/I] manga [I]ever[/I] and I've been completely obsessed with it from the moment I saw the first page. There are 10 volumes, the first one is translated and out in America now. There's also a prequel called Noise that hasn't been licensed but you can still download it at omanga.net