OtakuBoards

Kooky Kollege Knowledge

Cyriel

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]For general knowledge, I have just started my freshman year at University of the Pacific. It's strange, but I really don't feel like I'm at college at all, but at some sort of summer school or camp, after which I will return home in an undesignated length of time. Moving in was quite the adventure - so many things forgotten, but luckily my mother stayed about a week (I'm so spoiled by her), and so we went out shopping almost everyday to buy trinkets and much-needed items.

However, I did bring some odd items...such as a rice-cooker, to cook my bag of rice that I also brought. I also have with me packets of salted seaweed, frozen homemade Jja-jang myun (delicious Korean food), and other oriental oddities. And as my week progresses, so too does my awareness expand of my ignorance of the "college life."

So I suppose that I'm asking for advice, stories, and all that other good stuff from the members who've had their own experiences. What are the weirdest things you (or others that you've heard of) have brought to college? What was your oddest experience? In what did you invest the most time in? Attend parties, or not? How to not waste the parents' money, and at the same time have an exciting experience... So please! Divest some knowledge! Educate me! Especially about how to survive without any Korean restaurants around in the city of Stockton...[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna][I]Edit:[/I] By the way, is anyone else addicted to facebook?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

A freshman, huh? Well, take it from an upperclassman (I'm a junior), college is something that you can either end up having a darn good time in or it'll be the biggest stress-inducing event you'll come across. The pace at which some classes move is often overwhelming and with many more responsibilities to handle, I have to admit I've had my own share of migraines. :animestun

But fear not, just keep things organized and you should be okay. I often found that the small things are what matter most, like doing homework before the weekend starts and doing projects well ahead of time (instead of the last minute). I know that's common sense, but being away from home tends to make one lazy (a habit I still can't break :animeswea ).

But enough about the hard stuff, the fun stuff reall comes with time. Partying, I've found, it something that the individual has to determine for themselves. I know people who just go and chat with friends, some who go and get drunk off their butts, and others who avoid it as much as possible. Try it at least once, just to get a feel, and determine for yourself. Really, it's all a matter of finding your own way when it comes to finding fun things to do; myself, I just hang out with a handful of pals and play games or watch anime/movies. We're that easily satisfied. No alcohol abuse or anything. :animeswea

[COLOR=DarkGoldenrod][SIZE=1][quote name='Cyriel][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]What are the weirdest things you (or others that you've heard of) have brought to college?[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]That would be a crab roll and a Nazgul costume. I had to wear those to apply for a school organization. I got turned down but hey, it was loads of fun!

[quote name='Cyriel][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]What was your oddest experience?[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]Looking up from my test paper only to see a platoon of naked men running down the corridor. The most awaited event in the university, baby!

[quote name='Cyriel][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]In what did you invest the most time in?[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]Math. Man, I used to be a whiz in Math but it seems that the charm wore off the moment I stepped into college. Cyriel,[b] finish all your required Math courses ASAP[/b]; only then can you truly enjoy college.

[quote name='Cyriel][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]Attend parties, or not?[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]Give me the time and place and I'm there!... that is, if I've no major test scheduled the day after. There are plenty of parties to attend and only a handful of tests per semester/trimester; better tend to the latter.

[quote name='Cyriel][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]How to not waste the parents' money, and at the same time have an exciting experience... [/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]That's easy. Hang out with other people who have no money. It's a "misery loves company" kind of thing.

As Omnigear Fenrir said, "keep things organized and you should be okay." The atmosphere's more relaxed, so relaxed that some students (*cough*) forget which days deadlines and tests fall on. A datebook's probably the best thing you can bring to the university.

Oh yeah. University professors aren't as forgiving as high school teachers are. Gotta always use your head, baby. Simple common sense should be enough.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Revue][COLOR=DarkGoldenrod][SIZE=1]Math. Man, I used to be a whiz in Math but it seems that the charm wore off the moment I stepped into college. Cyriel,[b] finish all your required Math courses ASAP[/b]; only then can you truly enjoy college.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote][color=699cc]Done, and [i]done[/i]. Unless I switch majors to something completely different, I only need one "mathematical thinking" course, which I took my first semester. That is a RELIEF, believe you me.

I have to admit that I'm curious about the crab roll, but after careful consideration, I think I'm just going to let the topic drop.

One of the oddest experiences I had was wandering around campus on a lazy Sunday afternoon last fall, only to stumble upon PaganFest being held in the Mall. Lots of earnest (or psycho) people wearing [i]the[/i] motlley-est assemblage of costumes I've ever seen. Spanned several thousand years of hippie/pagan mentality: from loincloths, to robes, to bathrobes, to medieval costumes (think Ren Faire), to hippie outfits, to walking Hot Topic advertisments, to halloween costumes with glittery gossamer wings. It was weird. They had a huge old gong, and some ambient music blasting. Besides them, the campus was almost literally empty (I think there was a football game downtown, but Sundays are traditionally dead at school, anyway.)

One of the BEST parts of college is Free Stuff. If you go to a decent-sized Uni (with lots of student groups, or lots of interaction with the community), you can get some pretty cool free stuff--candy, t-shirts, waterbottles, keychains, more candy, the occasional meal, buttons, stickers, erasers, stress balls... all sorts of goodies.[/color]

I've taken college classes already (though I'm only going to be a senior in High School this year) and I must say that the college I've gone to for short classes isn't much different than a high school. Obviously I need to go somewhere else for real college if that place isn't a step up from what I'm doing now =/

[b]Are you aware your thread's acronym is KKK? God, you flippin' racist jackweed![/b]

A big tip is to actually go to class. It's common sense really, but when you've but up till 4am getting drunk/wasting time it's really hard to get out of bed and go to class.

Also, I second the free stuff part. Classes started about a week ago and I've been living off of free food for that entire time. Don't be afraid to mooch as much as you want.

[QUOTE=Dragon Warrior]
[b]Are you aware your thread's acronym is KKK? God, you flippin' racist jackweed![/b][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]I second that, you politically incorrect b*stard.

Anyway, I'm going to be a senior now too, and this is a big year and all, looking at colleges. I'm looking for financial aid grants, scholarships, and all that jazz. I'm also trying to get into the best school possible at the same time. It's going to be tough, but I think I'm finally ready for it.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Harry']Also, I second the free stuff part. Classes started about a week ago and I've been living off of free food for that entire time. Don't be afraid to mooch as much as you want.[/quote][color=#6699cc]Yeah, especially in the beginning of the year, when all sorts of welcome BBQ's and clubs' first meetings are going on.

And yeah, go to class. You don't necessarily have to pay attention in class, but at least you'll know when the tests are.[/color]