OtakuBoards

Microsoft notices competitions line up of games for the PS3

Qman1

(Courtesy of [url]www.1up.com[/url])
Short of securing exlusivity over Final Fantasy, nobody expected Microsoft to blow Sony out of the water at Tokyo Game Show; not only is it the company's home turf, but Xbox 360, despite significant improvements in Japanese support, still has a ways to go establishing itself.
Still, who could have known Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots would make such a splash? The slickly cut trailer even acts as designer Hideo Kojima's commentary on the console wars, pointing out the PlayStation 3's Cell processor as the key advantage over the competition.

Microsoft, however, isn't so sure. "Cell processor or not, when I look at the technical specs, I don't see anything that concerns me overly from a performance point of view," said Peter Moore, corporate VP of worldwide marketing and publishing for Xbox in an interview with GameIndustry.Biz.

Moore's response seems more sidestepping than anything else, but he goes on to emphasize Microsoft's mantra about launching ahead of Sony. "Quite frankly, having the ability to move first in this space, I think, provides us with the opportunity for a huge advantage," he continues.

In fact, Moore suggests the commentary may actually be an admission of weakness from Sony about the hardware. "The fact that they feel the need to have Snake tell you that it's powerful, that could be seen as a sign of worry, or weakness, potentially," he says.

Ultimately, though, it appears Microsoft's relying on gamers coming to their own conclusions than anything else. "Gamers are a very smart bunch, and gamers who still haven't seen a PS3 or seen one played, will make the determination. The English expression is, the proof of the pudding is in the tasting," he says.

• 2 weeks later...
[font=franklin gothic medium]Man, did you just copy that from a news site? I could have sworn I'd read that exact post somewhere else not long ago. Hopefully not.

Anyway, I don't know why this is particularly newsworthy - this is all PR spin. Sony will push its Cell processor and talk about the benefits and Microsoft will talk about the benefits of having a more general-purpose hardware design. In the end I think both have their merits but really, it comes down to how developers make use of them. So yeah...I think we just have to expect that Sony and MS will talk up their hardware and talk down the opposition like this.[/font]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']Man, did you just copy that from a news site? I could have sworn I'd read that exact post somewhere else not long ago. Hopefully not.[/font][/quote]

He could have at least fixed the spacing issues that accompanied copying it and pasting it. I'm glad he got called out on it.

Anyway, I could post up at least a dozen different articles that sound exactly like this from both sides. I think for a while we should just accept that both consoles are going to have impressive-looking games in their own right and be done with it. But it doesn't matter to me either way. Until Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out, viva la Revolution!

[quote]In fact, Moore suggests the commentary may actually be an admission of weakness from Sony about the hardware. "The fact that they feel the need to have Snake tell you that it's powerful, that could be seen as a sign of worry, or weakness, potentially," he says.[/quote]

That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. If anybody has seen any of Kojima's other trailers, he always likes to add in a little joke or some extra PR.