OtakuBoards

This time, last year...

BlueYoshi

[color=darkred]I thought I'd make a "fun" thread, seeing as things have gotten a scratch too serious around here lately.

Anyway, the point of the thread is simply to look back a year, and state whatever you may have been doing last year this time that happens to be gaming-related. You can mention what game you were playing a year ago, or what gaming fad you were following at the time... anything at all. I'm not so sure if it'll work out though, since I'm guessing that not many people will be able to stretch their memories so far back (strangely enough, I do), so please don't shoot the messenger.

What was I doing last year this time? I had just bought Animal Crossing for the GameCube, which commenced a month of my new obsession. Heh, I remember it so clearly; gathering Bells to pay off those horrible debts to Nook, gardening like there was no tomorrow, listening to that damn owl Blathers go on and on about his stupid museum, and getting owned by angry bees. Unfortunately, I found the game a bit too inconvenient, as I didn't have much access to it with my college having just started and all. It was a great experience though, and I got a free memory card with the game as well. But I digress, that won't be happening with AC Wild World.

I was playing a bunch of games around this time actually, but I'll let the thread pick up before I start posting anymore. If you can't remember what you were doing and wanna post anyway, then just lie. No one will be able to tell, I promise.[/color]

Fun topic. :)

I remember that I'd just bought a few games around this time last year... Beyond Good & Evil was one of them. I think that I bought Final Fantasy Chronicles, Pikmin 2, and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. Pretty nice haul, and most of them were pretty cheap.

So, yeah, I was playing all of those games around this time. I probably spent the most time with Pikmin 2, though, because it was the most 'new'. Plus, who can resist running wild on animals with vicious hordes of Pikmin?? I can't, that's for sure. The other games got their fair share of playing time, though.

I might've been playing Metroid: Zero Mission around this time, too, but I don't remember. Also, I can't remember exactly when Resident Evil 4 was delayed for the billionth time, but I'm fairly certain that I remember being ultra-pissed that RE4 wasn't being released during the winter holiday lol.

[color=darkred]Yeah Shin, I remember you talking about those games at some point last year. I'm sure Paper Mario 2 was amongst them as well... but eh, who knows. ^_^;;

I couldn't wait for Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, which was due in November some time, so I decided to blow the dust of my Platinum copy of Metroid Prime just to get my juices flowing. It helped, but I still felt deprived lol.

Other games I was playing included Super Metroid on the SNES, Donkey Konga (I think), and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Really, I think 2004 was one of the better years for gaming, because 2005 has been pretty dry for me.[/color]

[quote name='Bombu][color=darkred']Yeah Shin, I remember you talking about those games at some point last year. I'm sure Paper Mario 2 was amongst them as well... but eh, who knows. ^_^;;[/color][/quote]

Ooh, yeah, I can't believe I forgot about that! I was definitely playing Paper Mario 2 around that time, as well. I was probably laughing my *** off, too. The Thousand Year Door is funny as hell. :)

[font=trebuchet ms]Last September I was probably kicking some *** in Disgaea and Phantom Brave, as well as continuing to sell my soul to Soul Calibur II and DDRMAX/2/Extreme. The sad thing is, I've yet to beat Disagea or Phantom Brave, as I level a team up, then get interested in another character class, level him up, and so forth, while never actually moving forward story-wise.

If I was playing any GameCube games at the time, it'd be Viewtiful Joe or Megaman, as I haven't bought any worthwhile games (save Joe) until this year.

I think I remember finally beating Shenmue for the DreamCast sometime before Thanksgiving. Aside from that, I'm not really sure, as I barely remember what I did last week, let alone last year. :animesigh [/font]

[quote name='RiflesAtRecess][font=trebuchet ms']The sad thing is, I've yet to beat Disagea or Phantom Brave, as I level a team up, then get interested in another character class, level him up, and so forth, while never actually moving forward story-wise.[/font][/quote]

[color=darkred]The answer to that is to level everything and everyone up! Looking back at FFTA, that's what I'd most likely do lol (if that's possible; I'm yet to play both games, even though I badly want to).

I was also playing FFVI on the PlayStation from my Anthology pack last year. I actually started the file some time in August, and it just kind of dragged on. I'm yet to beat the game though; I picked up from where I left off a few weeks ago, but still, I got no where fast. The main problem about FFVI for me -- as I've said a million times here already ? is that it's way too slow. Especially when opening the menu screen, as it takes [i]ages[/i] to load, amongst many other things.

I think I'm going to give up on that version of FFVI for good now, and just play the game when it comes around for the DS... assuming it won't suffer from the same problem.[/color]

[QUOTE=Bombu][color=darkred]The answer to that is to level everything and everyone up! Looking back at FFTA, that's what I'd most likely do lol (if that's possible; I'm yet to play both games, even though I badly want to).

I was also playing FFVI on the PlayStation from my Anthology pack last year. I actually started the file some time in August, and it just kind of dragged on. I'm yet to beat the game though; I picked up from where I left off a few weeks ago, but still, I got no where fast. The main problem about FFVI for me -- as I've said a million times here already ? is that it's way too slow. Especially when opening the menu screen, as it takes [i]ages[/i] to load, amongst many other things.

I think I'm going to give up on that version of FFVI for good now, and just play the game when it comes around for the DS... assuming it won't suffer from the same problem.[/color][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Eesh, yeah, that sounds horrible. I have the SNES version of FFVI (aka FFIII), and it takes maybe a second to open the menu -- and only that long because it does its little fade effect. And if you set the battle speed to 1, things really fly. They must have [i]really[/i] botched the PS1 port because FFVI is anything but slow.

As for me, I. ... Damn, what [i]was[/i] I playing last year? I think it must've been Skies of Arcadia Legends at about this time in 2004, since it was the last game I bought before Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, which was released in November.

Skies of Arcadia Legends was a fun game, but I thought the battle system was a bit lacking. Especially towards the end of the game. Offensive magic was really underpowered compared to Vyse's special attacks, so towards the end the other three party members would just heal and use the focus command to supply Vyse with enough spirit points to use Pirate's Wrath every other round.

Funnily enough, I think I also finished up FFVI around then. I'd gotten close to the end and then sort of lost interest for quite a while, but I eventually came back to it and plowed through the rest of the end dungeon. It was nice to finally see the ending.[/color]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I was playing Tales of Symphonia, because a friend of mine let me borrow it. I loved that game so...

I always had Lloyd in the group, because for some reason, my groups in Rpgs would consist of the main character, my favorite character, and a female(unless my favorite was a female).

I also revisited some of my old PS1 games, and games I hadn't beaten yet. I bought got Dark Cloud 2, so I obessed with getting ultimate swords for Monica, and I beat Ocarina of Time. I was also trying hard to get the Zelda Collection for Gamecube, because I'm close to owning and beating every Zelda game.

That reminds me, I beat Majora's Mask on Saturday...thank you Fierce Deity Mask... :p [/FONT][/COLOR]