OtakuBoards

The Boondocks

Kei

[color=darkblue][size=1]"I don't mean ******* in a disrespectful way..." -VIBE Magazine advert

For those of you who watch [adult swim], The Boondocks will be premiering this coming Sunday at 11:00. Here's the description from the [as] site:

[quote]"Based on Aaron McGruder's award-winning and politically charged comic strip of the same name, The Boondocks will premiere in October 2005, on Adult Swim, Cartoon Network's late-night block of animation for adults. Regina King (Miss Congeniality 2, Ray) and John Witherspoon (Friday After Next) are among the actors who have signed on to voice characters on the highly anticipated animated television comedy. King will do double-duty as the voices of brothers "Huey Freeman" and "Riley Freeman"--the two characters central to the strip and series--while Witherspoon will be voicing "Granddad," the boys' cantankerous grandfather.

In The Boondocks, when Robert "Granddad" Freeman becomes legal guardian of his rambunctious grandkids, he moves from the south side of Chicago to the quiet and safety of "The Boondocks" (in this case, suburban Woodcrest), hoping that he can ignore them altogether and enjoy the fourth quarter of his life in peace. But Huey, a 10-year-old left wing revolutionary, is determined not to enjoy the affluence of suburbia. This attitude is seconded by his 8-year-old brother, Riley, a proud product of contemporary rap culture who lives only to spread chaos and mayhem. Although they torture each other and provoke the neighborhood, they are no match for Granddad, who is eccentric even by "crazy-***-old-black-man standards."[/quote]

I'm thinking that this is going to be a hit, mainly because the comic strip already has such a large following and there's so much material they can work with. Also, from what I've seen and heard of the artwork and the voice talent, it'll be appealing to the eyes and ears, not to mention the sense of humour. What do you guys think of it?[/color][/size]

I love the boondocks!!! :D

their the reason I even bother to read the news paper these days.

but yeah I think the shows gunna be a hit too. I've been reading the comic since I was in the sixth grade. never thought I'd see the day that they would put it on T.V.
Jhon witherspoon a funny man so I think its gunna make it. :catgirl:

Guest tasu22889
i beleive this is the greatest sunday comic ever,thats my opinion though,i beleive it'll continue to be the greatest even in animation..looks great too..

You used the brackets! =)

One of the only strips I?ve ever been truly interested in and care to keep up with, the strip that sparked controversy and brought about its own revolution- Yes!, I've been waiting for months to be honest and its premier is finally drawing near! I love the strip and the characters with in it so I?m excited to see how it will be. I don?t know where my expectations lie, but it?s helping me be certain that I?ll be more than just satisfied.

I was very glad about a year ago when I heard that it would be airing on [adult swim] because I knew then that it would be in good hands.

The Boondocks was a great comic prior to the Bush administration. It tackled celebrities, popular culture, bad movies, and the characters themselves were just absurdly funny. When G.W. Bush was elected president, Aaron McGruder gave writing responsibility to a staff of uncreative writers, and it's been nothing but lackluster political humor ever since.

Since the animated series will have a much harder time being topical and keeping up with politics, I'm expecting some of the comic's old pop culture jokes and silly character interaction to return. Who else is looking forward to seeing Jasmine DuBois, Cindy Macphearson and the elementary school staff again?

Jasmine~!

I read in an interview in which McGruder stated that the show would focus a little more on the interaction between Huey and Jasmine. My favorite strip is still the old one in which she complains to him about her hair and his response totally goes over her head. It just seemed uncharacteristic for the comic--at least, in retrospect it does.

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to this.

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
I love the Boondocks!!! Its such a funny and smart comic, and i cannot wait for it to come on AdultSwim!!!

Some cruz: Hey, the Boondocks makes fun of Bush because Bush is such a easy target! And it's not the first comedian thing these days to make fun of black people. What about Dave Chappelle and Carlos Mencia? I'm sorry you don't like it. But i'm pretty sure that Boondocks is going to be a huge hit on AdultSwim.