Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Agh! I can't draw hair!


Recommended Posts

Guest Miyuki-Sama
Posted
Please help me. I've tried for what seems like a million years and yet I can't seem to master the art of drawing hair. So...yeah, I guess that's it. Oh well :catgirl: Yay, kitty!
Guest shadow_yuri
Posted
You just make the shape of the head, and add any style of hair you like to it. It's not that difficult, Miyuki-sama. Just look off examples and crap and you'll be just fine!
Posted
it says in the how to draw manga book that you have to make sure that the hair goes nice around the head, so that the hair is hsaped well.

I personal just look at another characters hair and then change it slightly and as i adapted it further i eventually get the style that i want
Posted
I recommend in trying methods or copying exsistant hair styles. If you want something straighfoward, then start with a point on the head where the hair begins to fall then visualize where you want it to hang (bangs for example).

Practice makes perfect.
Guest Colette
Posted
I am an author and an artist.^-^ I can show you how to draw hair from looking at one of my pictures if thats ok with you.^-^
Posted
Just go into a hairdressing website and try sketching out real hair first. Rather than trying to draw what you think you see, draw the light and shade and texture so you might end up with a picture were the hair seems to have a hole in it where a light spot blends into a white background. You don't need to master the technique of drawing realistic hair, but it will give you ideas and will warm you up for when you translate this into a manga style.

You can also research different manga characters and look at how they draw hair. Eventually, you'll be doing this in your own style but search for images from very different mangas, print them out, and trace over them to learn techniques. For example the FLCL manga characters have choppy hair outlined by thick lines, whereas the Angel Sanctuary characters have softly shaded realistic hair!

Now you've done some research and practicing, you move onto the real thing. Draw out your character and quickly sketch the shape and length of the hair. Once you've done that start adding detail where the dark shades will be, light shades and strands that may fall across the face etc. The healthier the hair, the more difference in colour between light and dark spots and visa versa. For example, a blonde anime girl might have the mid-tone hair colour of yellow, and the light spots will be an almost white cream colour and the dark will be a very dark mustard colour.

Experimenting is the one thing I strongly recommend. One day it'll all fall into place.
Posted
ok heres my tip i suggest drawing a circle (no facial features) then practice puting hair styles on the circles trust me it works :animesmil And could you also show me a pic of the hair that you draw :animesmil
Posted
Hair to me comes easy. First, i try to visaulize another anime or manga with hair that I like. Then, I try something different or try to eleborate upon with what I have. Add a couple of your own flairs and you got hair! Here's a tip, there is a such thing as have TOO MUCH HAIR! Don't go too big on the hair. ^_^
Posted
[quote name='kitsunekami']whoa, yeah, a hairdressing site, that's actually really smart. YOU SHOULD REALLY DO THAT TO LEARN HOW TO DRAW HAIR![/quote]

Are you being sarcastic? Cause if so, screw you. I'm trying to help, and find my advice very sound considering I have professional qualifications in art and am currently doing a degree for it.

Speaking of my advice, is Miyuki reading [i]anything[/i] we've taken time to type out? :animesigh
Posted
well if you really want to drw hair i can be of assisstance to you. but you must be willing and committing. i dont teach slackers or wannabes,. if you are intested send me and email and i shall send u a sample of my art work.take advice from other to heart, things may end up badly for one who does not listen. i had the smae problem but if u dont honestly try and draw from the heart u will suck the rest of ur lyf. believe it.
SaYuRi-SaMa
p.s. if what i hear is true and you are badmouthing other peoples advice then you have no right to call yourself "sama" my dear miyuki.
Posted
[QUOTE=kitsunekami]uh, i was being serious. that actually was a good idea- i have been looking up hairdressing cites myself.

and no, i don't think she has.[/QUOTE]

Ah, ok sorry about that - it's hard to tell on the internet. At least someone made the effort to read what I posted ;D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...