OtakuBoards

Victory Records

Box Hoy

As a few of you have seen in some of my recent posts, I'm against alot of what Victory Records puts out.
I'm sure any avid metalhead has been looking through the selections at, lets say Fred Meyer or Best Buy or some store that sells music and seen such bands as Darkest Hour.
One the cd cases they say, "Sounds like Shadows Fall, The Black Dahlia Murder, All that Remains," the list goes on.

They got me pumped enough to buy 2 Darkest Hour Albums, and 1 Sinai Beach album. They also got me close to buying a Bury Your Dead album but I previewed that one and was disgusted.

I took these albums home and was disgusted. They lied! They have little to no melodical content.

This record company houses the bands which represent what people say when they say death metal is just a bunch of yelling, slamming on drums, and random directions.

Darkest Hour has one good song that I listened to from both albums I bought (The Sadist Nation and Undoing Ruin) and found one good track. ONE!

Sinai Beach was a tad better. They had about 3 good songs and the rest was stuff I just tuned out.

So than I proceeded to be an idiot and bought the "Masters of Horror" compilation which featured a ton of samples from bands that were currently housed under Victory Records, leaking roof.

Take a look at the people playing in these bands. A mohawk here and there. Mostly emo looking crap. The singers from each band I've heard sound the same as well. Like they're being forced to sing but can't because somebody's grabbing they're nuts.

And there's my rant.

Regarding your comment about Victory Records perpetuating the Death Metal stereotype: Victory Records doesn't market any of their bands as Death Metal. In fact, the label has only one Death Metal band on it's roster, the Black Dhalia Murder, who actually are a great group and play some seriously delicious Death Metal that offers brutality and melody. Unfortunately people write them off as another "xcore" band simply because they're on Victory Records. It's a shame, because they really are a great band with tons to offer.

Well, many people acutally appreciate Victory Records for its (major) influence in hardcore music. Wether or not hardcore music is melodic is a somewhat subjective view. Yes I will say that some music has a melodic flow and some music does not, but just because a band is not death metal doesn't mean that band's music isn't melodic.

Yeah, Victory Records has had a huge impact on the Hardcore scene, which is definately a good thing for them. I just don't understand what the Black Dahlia Murder is doing there, that's all.

And there is definately Death Metal that isn't melodic. Hardcore, on the other hand, inherently isn't a melodic style of music. This isn't a bad thing; in fact, it's one element that helps seperate it from all the other heavy music out there.

[color=indigo][size=1][font=arial]If Black Dahlia Murder are on Victory, [url=http://www.metalblade.com/bands/BDM/index2005.html]who is this on Metal Blade[/url]? In fact, the Wikipedia article for the band says they've only [i]ever[/i] been on Lovelost and Metal Blade. Hmmmm.[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='Killer7']You knopw Wikipedia is written by users right? lol never listen to Wikipedia.[/quote]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Of course, that's why Victory Records has no mention of Black Dahlia Murder on its bands page. And Metal Blade does. Seems like Wikipeda was [i]right[/i], shock horror.

[i]You knopw forum posts are written by users right? lol never listen to forum posts.[/i][/font][/color][/size]

Yeah, that's why I originally said that on the cases of some of these hardcore bands Victory releases they say, sounds like "Shadows Fall, Black Dahlia Murder, and All that Remains," all of which are either thrash or death.
I can tell you that Darkest Hour sounds nothing like Shadows Fall at all.

[SIZE=1]Maybe not to your ears, they could sound like Shadows Fall to another person, because I've been introduced to a few bands, and introduced friends to a few bands that I like saying they sound like another band, but my friends don't think they do.

It all comes down to your musical tastes, and your musical ear.

And, two of my favourite bands are on Victory Records. Whoo! >>;;[/SIZE]