OtakuBoards

thoughts on my manga

King of kendo

I'm the writer and also artist(not that good but will get better). It's called King of kendo(yes thats also my name). It's about a kid who must compete in a series of tornaments to be come King of kendo but he's facd with proble for example finding a mysterious girl that left him with a memory and not even a name at a past tournament. He is also constantley being stalked by fellow fighters either to make sure he neve fights again, get his autograph, or get close enough to become a loved one. But there a girl who he has his eye on but hates him yet slightly adors him.

I've been told it's a ripoff of other mangas. Please speak truthfully i will take all oppinions even if it's to break my spirit.

A lot of parts of what you wrote I honestly couldn't understand what you were trying to say. What I could read does seem a bit like every other stereotypical shonen manga out there. Try to add some variation into it because to be perfectly honest, this shows little creativity.

I am not writing this to break your spirit, but to just tell you that there's a long way to go before this will be able to show promise. Try to add something that will make a reader say, "Hey, this is different" and want to read it because it's interesting. Mangas that are based solely on swords and the subsequent fighting, not to mention the "I want to be the best" hero, get weak and hackneyed very quickly.

Guest Hazencruz
Your ideas will grow as you reach true Manga Writer stages. And eventually, you may give up this one for something better you think of later, or this may be your first one that doesn't do so great and then you amke something cool and up under your name it says "The Creator of King of Kenod" and everyones all like, "Whats king of kendo?"
Trust me, I speak from experience, writing stories is like drawing, you suck when you start, but you'll get better, and eventually become great if you stick with it.

[QUOTE=Hazencruz]Your ideas will grow as you reach true Manga Writer stages. And eventually, you may give up this one for something better you think of later, or this may be your first one that doesn't do so great and then you amke something cool and up under your name it says "The Creator of King of Kenod" and everyones all like, "Whats king of kendo?"
Trust me, I speak from experience, writing stories is like drawing, you suck when you start, but you'll get better, and eventually become great if you stick with it.[/QUOTE]

So far i've let one person read some of the chapter ideas and they loved it so i may not give it up but that doesn't mean i won't have another idea. Also what you said about how at first you suck at something and then you get better is true that happens with my art and my writing abilities have grown as well.

Well any way King of kindo is the name of the manga i'm writing. It about a boy who wants to be the best at kendo(in other words king of kendo). But while on his way to do this he's has to deal with problems such as people making sure he doesn't reach that goal, crazy stalker twins, and searching for a girl whose face was burned into his memory without not a name. But as he does this he realizes that he's torn between the girl he searches for and a close friend. Does that clear it up?

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Chikara Kokoro]A lot of parts of what you wrote I honestly couldn't understand what you were trying to say. What I could read does seem a bit like every other stereotypical shonen manga out there. Try to add some variation into it because to be perfectly honest, this shows little creativity.

I am not writing this to break your spirit, but to just tell you that there's a long way to go before this will be able to show promise. Try to add something that will make a reader say, "Hey, this is different" and want to read it because it's interesting. Mangas that are based solely on swords and the subsequent fighting, not to mention the "I want to be the best" hero, get weak and hackneyed very quickly.[/QUOTE]
yea, I agree....it sounds familiar to the other shonen manga too. Then again, I hope you do a fantastic job on your manga!

[COLOR=#646546][SIZE=1]Hmm, from what I gather, your story's shaping up to be an amalgamation of different tried-and-tested formulas used in series like [i]Rekka no Honou[/i] and [i]Yu Yu Hakusho[/i]. But do continue working on your manga. Eventually you'll think of more ways to make it stand out. :)

So, will it be pure action/drama or are there gonna be comic reliefs? [/SIZE][/COLOR]