OtakuBoards

Help with this picture

OpS

Okay, here goes . . . I'm kinda stuck on this drawin' and need suggestions 'bout the sword, especially. I hate it! I'm not too good with weaponry.

Help me out, please so I can finsih this drawin'.

Oh, and 'bout the pic--it's a character I created "Jaki", japanese for imp! I'm workin' on different styles of her--this is just one of 'em--the others are still in my head. *lol*
I'd like to do my own manga one day--workin' on it, slowly.

[url]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/IgnisFerus/Jaki.jpg[/url]

Very nice work. I am loving the details on this character design. It is very creepy, but you obviously intended that.

Before I go on to talk about the sword I have to mention one thing that is bothering me very much about the proportions. Her body is almost the same length as her legs. Most people's legs are twice their body length. Even for a stylized form, which your art seems to be more on the realistic side anyways, the legs are WAY too short and they're bothering me very much at the moment.

In regards to weaponry I have to applaud the elongated finger you drew because it is very well rendered *claps* The sword on the other hand, to put it simply, gives me no idea whatsoever as to what material it's made out of. The way that you have the cross things held in it looks like it would be made out of wood, but that would be a very ineffective weapon. The hilt is an interesting design, but you should have more of a rim (I'm not sure what the real name for it is) that separates the hilt from the blade. It kind of looks like you tried to draw one but decided not to. To be perfectly honest, it looks more like an item used for a ritual dance than a weapon. Maybe you should attempt a simpler weapon, or at least look at reference material and build off from there. Either that, or draw some technical sketches of how you imagine the weapon on its own and then add it to this character design.

I hope my critique helped in at least some small way. All in all, this picture is incredibly well done and well thought through. I'm very excited to see how this character design will change over time (if at all).

[COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=1]Well, Hisao, considering OpS said "I'm workin' on different styles of [B][U]her[/U][/B]" I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Jaki is, indeed, female.

Sarcasm aside.

This is an incredibly good picture, what draws me the most is her right arm and legs. Seriously, the details you've put in are incredile, I'm in awe.

As for advice, I don't think you actually need any. The great thing about weapons is that, unless you're purposefully trying to copy an existing weapon, it doesn't matter what they look like. I can't see anything wrong with the sword at all, because I know it's your own creation. If you really want any comments on it, though, I'd say that it needs a wider handguard and, possibly, to shorten the extra blades coming from the side, because it would be unbalanced and hard to use if it were an actual weapon. But honestly, you shouldn't worry about it, because it looks great!

Edit: I just read Chikara Kokoro's comment (I really should read other replies first) and with regards to the material of the sword, I have to agree with (her?). It doesn't look like metal, but to me resembles bone, which I guess would fit in well with the character. Just thought I should comment on it, because it's a good point.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=OpS]Okay, here goes . . . I'm kinda stuck on this drawin' and need suggestions 'bout the sword, especially. I hate it! I'm not too good with weaponry.

Help me out, please so I can finsih this drawin'.

Oh, and 'bout the pic--it's a character I created "Jaki", japanese for imp! I'm workin' on different styles of her--this is just one of 'em--the others are still in my head. *lol*
I'd like to do my own manga one day--workin' on it, slowly.

[url]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/IgnisFerus/Jaki.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]
[size=1]OpS, You seriously overstepped your bounds editing out my comment and reposting the image. [B]Never again[/B] should you do that -- it's blantantly disobeying a moderator, which is clearly against the rules.

There's a reason I changed the image to a link, and under [B]no circumstance[/B] should you ever again disobey me or another moderator. We don't tell you things just because we think it's fun to boss you around. We do it because it's a rule, and you must obey them.

If you post another image that stretches OB's layout, I will close the thread. You have been warned.

As for everyone else (Hisato, BloodRainShadow, I'm looking at you), please read the [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php][b]Official OtakuBoards Rules[/b][/url] as well as the [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=52171][b]Art Studio Rules[/b][/url] to understand what is expected as far as post quality and critiquing goes.

Thanks for your cooperation. Complaints, comments, and questions should be voiced to me via PM.[/size]

[QUOTE=Retribution][size=1]OpS, You seriously overstepped your bounds editing out my comment and reposting the image. [B]Never again[/B] should you do that -- it's blantantly disobeying a moderator, which is clearly against the rules.

There's a reason I changed the image to a link, and under [B]no circumstance[/B] should you ever again disobey me or another moderator. We don't tell you things just because we think it's fun to boss you around. We do it because it's a rule, and you must obey them.

If you post another image that stretches OB's layout, I will close the thread. You have been warned.

As for everyone else (Hisato, BloodRainShadow, I'm looking at you), please read the [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php][b]Official OtakuBoards Rules[/b][/url] as well as the [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=52171][b]Art Studio Rules[/b][/url] to understand what is expected as far as post quality and critiquing goes.

Thanks for your cooperation. Complaints, comments, and questions should be voiced to me via PM.[/size][/QUOTE]

Sorry, but it was a misunderstanding, 'cause when I modified my post I didn't check if anyone had posted anythin' regardin' it. I'm sorry, I guess I should have checked, but I modified my post just seconds (literally) after posting 'cause I forgot to attach the drawing.

You really are watchin' every nanosecond that passes. I'm sorry--I know better, now, to check if ya posted what I may have done wrong.

I truly apologize and mean no disrespect to you, the staff here, or the forum in general.

~OpS

Oh, and I also pmed and private message apologizing and explaining what has happened. Sorry.

[quote name='Ucalna']I think it sounds like a good pic. Doesnt sound like theres anything to add to it, it sounds PERFECT![/quote]
[size=1]Perhaps you should've read my previous post. Please, please, [i]pretty please[/i] read the rules.

If it's perfect, what makes it perfect? If you tell the artist that, they'll know what they did right, and will be able to replicate it later. Just saying "It's perfect" doesn't help anyone. You can find the links to the rules in my post above yours.[/size]