OtakuBoards

Cellular Phones and

Guest Ezra Black

Guest Ezra Black
I don't know about you, but I've come to the realization of how screwed I'd be if I lost my cell phone recently, and I laughed at myself.
I think it's interesting how dependent we've become in our culture on these things like cell phones and computers--the luxuries of life afforded to us through whatever monetary means, that we would otherwise be be fine without; save for the fact we've grown so used to having them they are now a 'necessity'.

I mean, maybe I'm the only one, but I can remember distinctly getting along fine without my cell phone, and in fact, being quite content in my inability to be bothered. Maybe it's just generally how small the world's become that bothers me. I mean, we can contact (with ease) someone as far from us as the East is from the West, and I think we take it for granted.
Don't get me wrong, I won't be burning my cell phone (as many times as I've dropped it though, I'm not sure if that would kill it--but you can bet water will! It's like cellular-kryptonite.) any time soon. I'm not preaching, either. Just wonderning what you think about our/your/my psycological dependency on technology that many cultures probably consider frivolous.

For me personally, my cell is just something usefull. It's not something I'm dependent on, but it's good to have if I'm out and get into an accident, or someone needs to get a hold of me. I mainly have it for emergency use and other important phone calls. I don't really depend on using it just to chit chat with someone.

I can agree on being dependent on my computer though. I need it for school, talking to friends long distance, etc... we're living in a technology based era I guess... that's just the way it is. We have all this information (whether it be good or bad) at our fingertips. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, although it can be abused.

[COLOR=#656446]Water won't kill my cellphone... 'tleast I think it won't considering the number of times I've used it to take pictures during particularly eager precipitation of meteoric waters. ^^

I can confidently say that I am not dependent on my cellphone. I rarely use it for purposes other than timekeeping and picture-taking (IOW, it's useless when you move about in a world where there's a clock in every room and everyone's got a digicam). But yeah, I don't deny the relative comfort my cellphone gives, knowing that I can call my folks if something comes up (something rarely does, but still!).

I am rather attached to my PC though, but not too attached that my world would crumble if it breaks down. I mean, it (well, the Internet at least) is a really convenient thing to have if I rushing reports, but everything important I need to know I've got in my head (oh, the confidence!) and I only have to hit the books if I've to look up stuff, yeah?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][FONT=Book Antiqua]I don't even use my cellphone. It's been out of money for a while, and I left it at home on vacation. It's useful for it's alarm and it's clock though. Plus, I like the frog charm I got for it. Whenever I walk with it, it jingles and makes it seem like a cat is coming. Also, I added a Sasuke Uchiha keychain to it.

Anyways, like everyone else so far, I'm depedant on my computer. How I lasted 10 days without it, I don't know. I just didn't think about it, which was tough. It's almost like a child to me, if it blew up for some weird reason I swear I'd cry, or at least mope around for a while...

[/FONT]
[/COLOR]

[color=dodgerblue]Lol, as far as my cell phone is concerned, it's basically not even on more than an hour a week. Sad, I know, but I don't have much of a social life. Whereas my [i]computer[/i] on the other hand... *shudders from thinking about losing it* gah... I went into withdrawl after two weeks -_- lol. That's about it, though. I don't watch much TV (who needs it with youtube? XD) and my radio's stuffed (once again, I love the internet). But yeah, technology... I suppose it has become a bit too big a part of our lives. I mean, it's sort of sad when there's a black-out and everyone's like "omg, what are we going to do?" I mean, there's plenty to do. Read a book, go out and play, or if it's night, get a board game and some candles... or perhaps go to bed, lol. Anyhow, yeah, I've gone off topic. Cell phones. I've had two in my life, the first one for five years. Only ever topped up the credit 10 times in that time, and the second one I've had for 6 months so far.[/color]

I am definitely a slave to technology. I too can remember the days before my cell phone and laptop. I was perfectly fine. I didn't need to be on the internet at all. I didn't need to be next to a phone 24/7. Those days are long since past. I can't imagine my life without them.

My cell phone has become my regular phone. I do not have a land-line phone in my house. The only ones who ever called me on that thing was telemarketers during dinner. All my friends and family called me on my cell since they knew they would get me. I also go in the habit of always having it with me when I worked emergency at a veterinary clinic. Nothing like waking up at 3am to the sound of a cell phone ringing.

Both my computer and cell phone are vital to my social interactions with people. Without them I would feel totally cut off from the world. I use to feel this way about my radio and tv. But now since my computer and cell phone can handle what the radio and tv use to...I don't really need them anymore.

I can say I'm definitely not attached to my cell phone in any way. You know why? I lost it. haha. Yes, I know. Stupid. But it wasn't as if I even used it all that much...The last cell phone payment that my mom had before I lost my phone, I only had used 43 minutes the whole entire month..thats like a little over a minute a day...'_'

With my computer on the other hand is a total different situation. I'm pretty much addicted to my computer. Not AIM though. Everyone complains that I don't go on AIM enough. But I can say I'm addicted. If I had the choice to go out or my spend the whole day on my computer, It's a pretty much 50/50 choice for me. Most people would choose going out right? My mom even complains that I don't go out enough. She gets happy when I get out of the house. lol.

But I think our society is WAY too dependant on technology. Not to be stereotypical but the people I see that are mainly dependant on their cells are either the jocks or social butterflies out there. They can't even get through ONE period of school without their cell phones. It kind of pathetic. *shakes head*

I don't have a cell phone, but I can relate to what Ezra Black saying about how todays society has become dependent on materials rather than living life by necessity. It's sad to say, but I've forgotten how to live without a computer. Computers have been embedded into my life and now I just simply can't live without one. I completely agree with you Ezra about how we take things for granted, especially with luxury.

In my opinion, our every day advances are isolating us from the world. Not literally (hopefully) but something that we can compare the world to. For me, my friends are the world to me. For others it could be something else. Almost every person I come across in my school has either an iPod or cell phone pulled out. This generation is always plugged into something.

This is why I have a very deep admiration to sages/monks. They live life by necessity while we live by choice. What I mean is simply, we choose luxury over simplicity. I wished I live by their teachings, but it's something I can not do. I can't possibly imagine giving up my vices to carbonated drinks, candy, technology, etc. Someday I will find my necessities, and I will definitely not let that pass me by. Fortunately for all of us, it's not too late to rid ourselves from the corrupt mainstream of technology, we just need to be willing to. Mind you of course, this is all just an opinion not a statement :animeswea