OtakuBoards

Immigration

Maneki Neko

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Lately, there has been much going on in the way of Immigration rights and such. There have been many rallies, and lots of news stories (at least in my town, I haven't read the national paper or anything lately). I was wondering what everyone's views on immigration are?

I personally favor immigration and believe in an open borders poilcy. If people want to come here, then come. If we want to leave, we can leave. One of my best friends recently said something to me that was really surprising (I thought she was smarter, and nicer than this). She said something like "If their going to come to our country, they better learn the d*** language," which I do believe if you are going to live anywhere then you should know their language. She was saying this like they should have it down perfect before they even migrate here.

I'm sorry if things are bad in my country, and the economy sucks, and I can't get enough food for my family, I'm gonna leave that country. Do you really think I'm gonna worry about learning a language while my family is dying?

Let me know what you think.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=Maneki Neko][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Lately, there has been much going on in the way of Immigration rights and such. There have been many rallies, and lots of news stories (at least in my town, I haven't read the national paper or anything lately). I was wondering what everyone's views on immigration are?

I personally favor immigration and believe in an open borders poilcy. If people want to come here, then come. If we want to leave, we can leave. One of my best friends recently said something to me that was really surprising (I thought she was smarter, and nicer than this). She said something like "If their going to come to our country, they better learn the d*** language," which I do believe if you are going to live anywhere then you should know their language. She was saying this like they should have it down perfect before they even migrate here.

I'm sorry if things are bad in my country, and the economy sucks, and I can't get enough food for my family, I'm gonna leave that country. Do you really think I'm gonna worry about learning a language while my family is dying?

Let me know what you think.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Well it would be nice if people were able to immigrate as they please, but the problem with that is, because of other countries that have poor economies and such, some (but not all) imigrants take advantage of MEDC's and partake in illeagal activites such as fraud, and they probably wont be cought, seeing as they immigrated and never officially registered. These are rare cases but this kind of stuff is what the government is afraid of / trying to prevent. It's difficult to have a simply free world, when the world is pretty complicated.
But I'm pretty neutral on this subject. I don't think it should be completeley outruled, but then again, I don't think it should be completley free either. Meh. Haha.

Well for me I kinda favor it and at times I dont. I do not think illeagal immigrants should be able to sue our Gov. or what have you. I do not mind the immigrants and I under stand thatthey want a beter life, so would I if I were in there sit. But please try to learn the lang. and not rely on your kids to translate, especially if you work it will just make things harder. Another thing is that I think the process to become a citz. is to difficult for some people, if we just make it an easier process then we wouldn't have [B]as[/B] many illegal immigrants. I know we need the workers so that many businesses dont go bankrupt. If money is truly the problem to hire someone that is a cit. and have to pay them more over al illeagal that will take what he gets then lower the minimum wage. but what ever thats just how I see it.

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]I favor an open border policy but only up to a certain point. I don?t have a problem with people entering the country but if you make it where people can come and go, as they please then if there are too many people entering at the same time the economy won?t support it. Mind you I?m talking about an extreme case of people entering the country, but if every poor person from another country were to come over, somewhere down the line we would be unable to feed all of them.

The fact that we have lots of stores full of food is an illusion. My previous job was as a Truck Driver and having delivered food to stores like Wall-mart and Albertson?s I know how quickly the supply of food would run out. Right now most stores receive anywhere from 5-20 trucks a day just to keep up with the current demands. So if you were to double the demands by blindly allowing anyone to enter we would have food shortages in less than 2 days.

So yes we should have immigration but it it?s not controlled or organized then it would end up being a disaster.

As for the language issue, I don?t think they have to speak it to enter, but nor should they expect us to change our language to what they speak. That was an issue here in Utah a few years ago where the immigrants were demanding we change our state?s main language to Spanish. The whole thing was pretty stupid. I could see asking for it to be considered one of the main languages, but to expect us to change everything to match the language of those entering the state, well in my opinion, that was arrogant and rude to the people already living here.[/COLOR]

Guest Roxey20
I'm really torn on this issue. I have a few friends who are immigrants (legal) and they've told me about some of the difficult living conditions they've come from. I mean, I really want to help the people coming in, but then I don't think that it should be a free for all. As SunfallE said, that could cause a lot of problems. And some of the arguments against it are legit. But then, I'm not sure if I agree with calling illegal aliens felons. It's almost as if we're punishing them for risking their lives to try to make a better life for their families. It's a complicated issue with many sides and I really think that people should look into it and try to understand both sides. It would certainly cut back on all the ignorant comments about the "Mexicans" stealing jobs that I'm getting tired of hearing. Bottom line, the way things are isn't working, but putting up a bigger wall and making immigrants into criminals isn't going to solve the problem either.

I have no problem with [B]legal[/B] immigration, but illegal immigration pisses thef*** out of me. Illegal immigrants come to our country and don't pay taxes and use our resources. They claim 'we are hard working people that help the economy' thats BS. One of my friends, who is mexican, refers to illegal immigrants (the ones from mexico, the majority) as the filthy wetbacks making america dirty. I would'nt put my sentiments in the same words, but illegal immigration is only making conditions here much worse. Its like that one ep os South Park where all the people comeback in time to a better life, and soon they all come and make conditions worse for everybody in South Park, that is truely whjat will happen if people keep immigrating illegaly. Th e goverment has quotas for the number of people who come in each year.

Yeah, the bill to turn illegal immigration into a felony is awful. That's not a decision that men in thousand-dollar suits who work in marble-lined buildings should be able to make.

What I want to know, though, is why [i]is[/i] it so hard to immigrate legally? Obviously, if the people who needed to come into America were actually allowed to do so, the problem would be solved much easier than the uphill battle of trying to simply keep them out. So does anyone here know exactly why immigration is so difficult?

My father immigrated to Canada when he was a young boy.
So I come from a family that has alot of immigrants.
He is a Canadian citizen now.

I understand that border security is an issue, but there has to be some solution to it.
People are going to want to immigrate to different countries, whether it be Canada, the US or elsewhere.
And I think they deserve the opportunity to do so. There has to be a way for people who want to go to other countries to be able to actually go, rather than resorting to illegally crossing the borders.

And I mean, if you think about it, the US was BUILT on illegal immigration. I'm sure the Native Americans didn't WANT the Eurpoeans to come in and take all their land and pretty much try to wipe out their entire race.
And then there's George Bush entering Iraq, ILLEGALLY.

If you took all the immigrants out of Canada and the US, there would barely be a population.