Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy VII - Advent Children. Is it anime?


Recommended Posts

Guest happilaire
Posted
We watched the Japanese version of Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children at work the other day and I was completely blown away by it. I thought the action sequences were some of the most exciting and poetic i have ever seen. I cannot wait until video games are of this calibur. I am very excited for the Englishe dubbed version that gets released on the 25th. Have you seen it yet? Did you like it as much as I did?

But it got me to thinking, is Advent Children ANIME? It has elements of Anime in it, but it isn't a cartoon... so what catergory do you think it falls into?
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
Well I think it could count as an anime, I guess its like appleseed, it could be counted as a Liveaction 3D anime or something. I dont know the real name for it curently, but its on the back of the appleseed DVD. :animeswea
Guest Metal Dragon
Posted
Tough question. My guess that it's anime, but then again I haven't seen the movie yet.
Posted
Well, to resolve this question we could of course make up a long list of qualities of what makes something anime as opposed to not anime, and then say something like, "If a piece of animated visual entertainment [already vague, of course, but I dare someone to do better] has all of these qualities or a sufficient amount, then it is anime." If we were [I]really[/I] bored that day we could further subdivide our anime category into smaller subgroups, e.g. shounen, yaoi &c., with their own qualities.

Of course, I'd be willing to bet that we couldn't get more than five minutes into such a project without hitting debates as to whether this or that quality is too wide (more things than just anime have it) or too narrow (not all of what we would call anime has it), which of these qualities are absolutely crucial and which aren't, and so on. Within hours you'd have wikipedia-esque edit wars, with the losers going home crying and taking all their toys with them.

Now, with this in mind I would propose that all the time used working up such a strict categorization would be better spent rewatching the rad-as-all-get-out fight scene between Tifa and that guy whose name I can't remember (but who had the victory theme on his cell, as I recall).
Posted
I would count it as anime... but it is a tough call. Like others have said, it all depends on your definition of anime. It [I]is[/I] technically animated, and it [I]was[/I] made in Japan... so I suppose it could be counted as such.
Guest D. Resurrected
Posted
Ya I got it back in mid 05 from jappan.It is a awsome movie and it is a MUST SEE.some of my friends dont like it though.But they are ovcoures very very hard ckritics.They never like anything LOL. :animesmil

ohh p.s. This isnt even clouse to a anime.Its all graphic design.Not even close
Posted
I would consider it anime because if you look at the characters, they are actually designed in the anime style of artwork such as the larger eyes and other facial features. Regardless, it was a pretty good movie. I've always associated Final Fantasy with anime.
Guest frogmancdw
Posted
I think it may be classified as anime. It is complicated. It may not be hand drawn or look cell shaded, but I think with it having the style of anime, it should be classified as such.

"ANIME: A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sex."


Found this definition at [url]http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=anime[/url] .
Guest inuyasha29
Posted
FF7 its like anime but its not. Its more of an animation then anything. I didn't really think of it as an anime because of its high graphics.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...