OtakuBoards

Need help on some animes

Tallgeese-

Guest SeraphimRei
[quote name='Tallgeese-']Makes sense. How is Gundam Wing more mature? Perhaps people threatning to kill people? :p[/quote]

I too think Gundam Wing is more mature than Gundam SEED. I think Gundam SEED seems more childish than most of the other Gundam's, though I don't know why. I am sorry, sorry that I can't answer you questions. Gundam SEED is still a VERY good show.

[quote name='Kenshin XS']Gundam SEED was aimed more at a younger audience. GW was alot more mature.[/quote]Wing was my favourite a couple of years ago. I couldn't stand SEED. I was really into the former series as well as the OVA, but I finally gave SEED a chance when it's run finished in Japan.

After watching the series in its entirety, I think it is the better of the two. The SEED series seemed more realistic to me than anything Wing could offer. The pilots were more human, rather than the exagerations of anime archetypes.
And while SEED explored on the issues of racism, nationalism, genetic mutation, among other things, I just couldn't feel anything as significant coming from the older series.

I'd also have to disagree about which series is more or less mature. I wont go so far to say that SEED was more mature than Wing, but I wont say the opposite either. Although Wing did have a slower pace had a strong emphasis on politics, SEED dealt with themes that Wing stayed away from. A good example of this was when the otherwise quiet and kind Miriallia Haw [spoiler]attacked the killer of her boyfriend with a knife.[/spoiler]
Because Wing focused on politics so much, they missed the human element that SEED had so much of. SEED's message is that war isn't just about nations and battles, there are people involved, even those who don't fight.

[quote name='SeraphimRei']I too think Gundam Wing is more mature than Gundam SEED. I think Gundam SEED seems more childish than most of the other Gundam's, though I don't know why.[/quote]I think the only reason people consider SEED to be immature may be its art style. If you look at the suffering and tragedies that occur in SEED, you can't compare the series to those intended for younger viewers. But if you look at the series from a visual perspective, it's full of bright colours and big-eyes-small-mouth art style typically associated with less mature Anime.

Granted, neither of these stand up to the original Gundam series when comparing realism and depth, but if you have to compare the two, I think SEED is the better series.

-r2

All AU Gundams are designed to attract different groups of audiences. GW is the first one to successfully bringing in a large group of female fans into the franchise. As for Gundam Seed, its role is to bring new fans who have never seen Gundams before. Both shows take the things from older Gundams and repackaging them into something else to appeal to their target audiences. It is really not possibly to say which is more mature as they are different in nature.

Guest SeraphimRei
[quote name='Qukey']All AU Gundams are designed to attract different groups of audiences. GW is the first one to successfully bringing in a large group of female fans into the franchise. As for Gundam Seed, its role is to bring new fans who have never seen Gundams before. Both shows take the things from older Gundams and repackaging them into something else to appeal to their target audiences. It is really not possibly to say which is more mature as they are different in nature.[/quote]

What do you mean [I]bringing in a large group of female fans into the franchise.[/I]
Is there something much different about GW than the other shows?
Or was it one of the first Gundams?

As you can tell I don't know much info about Gundam.

I used to wach Gundam on Toonami, and that came out after they showed Gundam Wing about three times. After that they started showing Gundam 0080 at late night Toonami so long ago, then they went on to Gundam 8th MS team which was short. Then they started showing Gundam 0083 and just like Gundam 0080 they never finished it. Finally Gundam Seed aired on Toonami, I'm not sure how long ago.

[QUOTE=SeraphimRei]What do you mean [I]bringing in a large group of female fans into the franchise.[/I]
Is there something much different about GW than the other shows?
Or was it one of the first Gundams?

As you can tell I don't know much info about Gundam.[/QUOTE]

Gundam Wing is very different from other Gundams in style. UC Gundams, from Mobile Suit Gundam (1979) to Victory Gundam (1993, last official UC Gundam TV series), has never get a reasonable size of female fans. Comparing to the character designs of GW, UC Gundam characters are far less attractive. Even the original pretty boy Char Aznable, (he is the one on my avater) cannot compare to the newer, even prettier boys of GW. BTW, he is the character both Zechs and Treize are based on. Also, the older Gundams spends more time on the political and military than romances between characters.

The mobile suits in UC Gundams are not as colourfu as the ones in GW as well. They feel more like war machines, instead of some collectibles that can be used by the choosen ones. The GW Gundams are highly specialized but the UC Gundams can be piloted by anyone. A Gundam in UC cannot destroy hundreds of their opponents. The enemies in UC Gundam are far more skillful than the one in GW. They are given personalities and developed as characters as well.

For a taste of UC Gundam, I highly recommand watching 0080 War in the pocket or 08th MS Team. 0080 has 6 episodes and 08 MS Team has 12. They are both side stories of the Mobile Suit Gundam.

0080 sets in the last 2 weeks of the One Year War in UC 0079. 0083 sets in UC 0083, 3 years after the end of OYW. They are not directly linked but the event in the end of OYW is the causes of the events in 0083.

The main purpose of 0083 is to bridge Mobile Suit Gundam (UC 0079) and Zeta Gundam (UC 0087). It gives a hint about the forming of Titan, an elite group withing Earth Federation.

The original Mobile Suit Gundam is 43 episodes long, with a 42 episodes DVD release in R1. It is cut into 3 movies, also available in DVD.

Zeta is possibility the most popular Gundams aside from Mobile Suit Gundam. It is very dark and tragic with many character deaths. It is the Gundam every fans should watch but I would not recommand it to new fans. Zeta should be watched after Mobile Suit Gundam as many characters appears in Zeta as well. The new Zeta movies condenses the 50 episode series into 3 movies with new footage. Two movies are released and the third one is coming to theatre in Japan.

Just keep in mind that Zeta is the sequel of Mobile Suit Gundam and 0080 and 0083 are side stories of it. Therefore, it is expect the audiences have some knowledges of the One Year War, the power struggle between Earth Federation and Zeon, the basic physic of Universal Century and the detail of the Atlantic Treaty before it can be enjoyable.

I've seen most of Mobile Suit Gundam back when they used to show it on Toonami, but I can't recall the ever showing all of it. I was looking for them yesterday, I could only find Zeta Gundam and it was fairly cheap but I don't want to get it until I get the other ones because then I'll be tempted to wach it and will be mad for waching it without seeing the pre-quals.