OtakuBoards

I'm hungry for some soul food!

Raine14

[COLOR=Olive][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3]What's your definition of soul food? Me? I think its all about the fried chicken, mashed potatoes, homemade biscuits and gravy! What about you guys?
I want to hear your most favorite dishes and best food you can cook. This is a follow-up on Up4Anime's thread on the worst and best foods. This time I hope you guys pick your fave foods! Thanks to Up4Anime for giving me an idea of a thread without knowing it. I hope no one is offended that I put up a thread on the same subject!
Enjoy the soul food!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Sayuri-sama']well i think my soul fod would be some good'ol homecooked lasagna!!!!! just love that!!! and chocolate also! its like heavens delight!!!!:animesmil i love food! also my friends home made brownies![/quote]
Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!! I just ate lasagna for dinner! :D lol I love chocolate!

[font=Trebuchet MS][quote name='Raine14][/font][color=Olive][font=Palatino Linotype][size=3]I hope no one is offended that I put up a thread on the same subject![/size][/font][/color'][font=Trebuchet MS][/quote] No one's 'offended', but right now I'm at a loss to see how this thread is different to Up4anime's. If you can define 'soul food' as meaning something different to 'favourite food', then I guess it's fine, but otherwise it's just another favourite foods thread and I'll have to merge the two.

Maybe 'soul food' is the food that really perks you up when you're feeling down?
[/font]

[QUOTE=Raiyuu][font=Trebuchet MS] Maybe 'soul food' is the food that really perks you up when you're feeling down?
[/font][/QUOTE]
[size=1]I'm almost positive you know what soul food is. ;_;

Soul food was the food that black slaves were given, usually the leftovers of their master's meals. I'm not exactly sure how it got 'soul' in there, but us black folk do some really, really weird stuff and I'm assuming this isn't an exception.

Soul food is much more than what you listed, Raine14. You have collard greens, yams, potato salad, chitlins (;_; Gross...), cornbread, macaroni and cheese, corn... The list goes on. [/size]

[SIZE=1]To me, soul food is anything that makes you feel all warm and happy when you're eating it, like cookies still warm from the oven and what not. For me, it usually entails some form of baked good--bread, cakes, muffins, cookies, et cetera. One of my favorite things ever is also peanut butter and banana sandwiches, because I'm an absolute peanut butter addict. Though, warm buns with honey drizzled over them count also.

It also includes food that kids typically love, like Mac 'n Cheese, balogna(sp?) sandwiches, hot dogs, corn on the cob. That's only my definition, though I did learn something from you, Retri. I honestly didn't know about its origins either, thanks for enlightening me.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Stark][SIZE=1]To me, soul food is anything that makes you feel all warm and happy when you're eating it, like cookies still warm from the oven and what not. For me, it usually entails some form of baked good--bread, cakes, muffins, cookies, et cetera. One of my favorite things ever is also peanut butter and banana sandwiches, because I'm an absolute peanut butter addict. Though, warm buns with honey drizzled over them count also.

It also includes food that kids typically love, like Mac 'n Cheese, balogna(sp?) sandwiches, hot dogs, corn on the cob. That's only my definition, though I did learn something from you, Retri. I honestly didn't know about its origins either, thanks for enlightening me.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Thats cool!
And moderators, there are many definitions of soul food. I agree its food that makes you very happy when you're feeling down. If you feel that this board is not acceptable then you can always shut it down. Or if you feel that they're basically the same threads then merge them. Either way, it doesn't bother me.

Well first of all I'm of african-american heritage and my dad's african-american and I most definatly know what that is well the "black definition" its that food that jo not your but jo mama cook that food that jo grandmother cook that food that just makes jo mouth water with just the smell of it and what it consists of: collard greens, neck bones, black-eyed peas, sweet potatoe pie, baked macaroni, speggetti, peach cobbler, and a lot of other things(I could go all day) oh and my favorite fried chicken, oh and pig feet(I don't like it) but soul food can be anything that you cook a long as it makes ja soul feel good :D oh crap I didn't read all the posts I didn't read the art guys...sorry... but I hope I added on what he was saying

I haven't posted here regularly in a long time and I don't know when that will ever resume ('been more of a lurker here lately), but I [I]seriously[/I] felt the need to intrude on this discussion.

Okay, first of all, most of you guys are speaking of [B][I]comfort food[/I][/B]. Not soul food. Although, it doesn't matter to me what you want to call it, I'm just saying, you know.

[QUOTE=Retribution][size=1]I'm almost positive you know what soul food is. ;_;

Soul food was the food that black slaves were given, usually the leftovers of their master's meals. I'm not exactly sure how it got 'soul' in there, but us black folk do some really, really weird stuff and I'm assuming this isn't an exception.

Soul food is much more than what you listed, Raine14. You have collard greens, yams, potato salad, chitlins (;_; Gross...), cornbread, macaroni and cheese, corn... The list goes on. [/size][/QUOTE]

Second, soul food is not exactly what was left over (left over as in what would otherwise be discarded) from slave masters' kitchens back then. It's more of a combination of that sort of stuff, plus other dishes like the macaroni and cheese (baked style), greens with sliced tomatoes on the side, cabbage and corn bread, sweet potatoes etc. In general, many things can fit under that name, just depends on how you cook it.

Now, things like ox tail, pig feet, cow tongue, chitlins, ham hocks, and so on and so forth. Do you think they were sitting back calling this stuff soul food at the time? If you ask me, they were just trying to survive.

Anyways, getting back on topic, my favorite type of comfort food would be pies. I LOVE apple, blue berry, strawberry pies, peach cobbler, pumpkin pie, and chicken pot pie! Just give me a good slice of any one and I am one happy girl!