OtakuBoards

Karas

silpheedpilot

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]So I was browsing My Space one day and in 'featured profiles' was Karas, a profile for this new anime movie. I made Karas my friend and browsed around for a while within the profile, just checking stuff out. Then I went to Best Buy and there it was. Needless to say, I bought it.

When I got down to watching it later that day I was surprised at how good it was, sans for a little 'to be desired' effect. The story is obscure, the visuals are appallingly good and the characters are all likable. I watched it twice, once in Japanese and once in English and although sometimes I prefer Japanese over English voice-overs I was really impressed with the English voice over cast with such big names as Matthew Lillard and Piper Perabo, who to my knowledge are not veterans of voice-overs, but do an outstanding job nonetheless. I highly recommend this anime movie because of the aforementioned reasons and the fact that Tatsunoko produced it. (Speed Racer, Gatchaman)

If you've heard of or seen this anime, do tell.

~AC!D!C[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Ok I was browsing around the new releases today and I came along the Karas anime that was just released late last month.
For those who don't know, Karas is a new anime OVA created by Tatsunoko Productions, who created the old Speed Racer and Gatchaman series.

[IMG]http://img.verycd.com/posts/0509/post-200407-1125831256.jpg[/IMG]

Karas basically tells about how two demensions exist in the city of Tokyo, the normal human world and that of the demon world, which is virtually invisible to humans.
The story focuses on a coma patient who is chosen to become a Karas, a mystical cyber ninja guy who is sworn to protect the human world from any demons who decide to start trouble.
Think of it as Guyver meets Chrono Crusade/ Yu yu Hakusho, with a little bit of X-files thrown in.

What really sets Karas apart from most other series is the quality. The animation is top notch and seemlessly blended with CGI unlike any series I've seen lately. Karas himself and the techno demons he fights are all CGI, while all other characters are traditionally animated.
Its all really quite impressive. :D

All in all the first volume of Karas really got me interested, and I'll be looking forward to the next release....although, I'm not sure when that will be.

So..has anyone else seen this series yet? Any thoughts/opinions?

[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1][INDENT]Just one thought WW2 If a thread isn?t listed in the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=38208][COLOR=Sienna][B]Official Threads Directory[/B][/COLOR][/URL] then a quick check of the first couple of pages or a forum search might reveal an existing thread. That being said I?ve merged your thread with the existing Karas thread. ;) ~indifference[/INDENT][/SIZE] [/COLOR]

• 2 months later...
A couple days ago when I went to the rental store, I was very bored and didn't know what to watch. I saw Karas and wondered why I hadn't heard of it before. I rented it anyway and was freakin impressed. The action scenes were great, and it all seemed very real... They release sank you into that world. The counting to 10 thing before he can transform is stupid when you think about it but it's so COOL. And i don't usually go for ritual-like things like that.

I'll probably buyt Karas when the second-half comes out. Wikipedia says that will be Sept. 26. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karas_(anime)

• 3 months later...
Karas is an excellent anime movie. It featured great animation , fighting , and characters. While the plot can be a little hard to follow and it moves at a very quick pace its still highly enjoyable. The animation is absolutley stunning on all levels after seeing the begining fight scene Karas will hook you in. It features a great cast of charcters and they all have unique pesonalities and such. Its a must have movie, its essentially a 6 episode OVA but the first 3 episodes were combined into the first movie The Prophecy.
Episodes 4-6 will be out somtime next year. I anxiously await the conclusion to this great series.

I picked Karas up at the Walmart that I work at (mostly because we were out of FF7: Advent Children) and I have to say I really enjoyed it. The story was a little vague (why the 'ell is he [spoiler]in a coma[/spoiler] and what's with the [spoiler]multiple Yurine's[/spoiler]?), but the action and the animation were both top notch. All in all, it was a pretty good anime.

[indent][size=1][color=#007520]I added spoiler tags to your post. Make sure to use them when talking about plot elements that are revealed throughout the story. -r2[/color][/size][/indent]

• 1 year later...
I know we would rather not revive old threads, but I didn't feel like creating a new one :rolleyes:

Has anyone else watched the final three OVA's / episodes?

It took about a year for them to be released on DVD, but I finally got to finish watching this series yesterday, and man was I blown away.

I had to read the summaries for the first three episodes on Wikipedia since it had been a while since I viewed them but Karas is definitely among my favorite anime of all time.

Episodes 4 and 5 were very well done... [spoiler]in most anime when the main character loses his powers he becomes a complete wuss but Otoha was just the man. He was even more heroic / badarse when fighting the mikura without the ability to transform into Karas than he was when he could transform.[/spoiler]

Episode 6 was also good, it was just kind of odd that the final battle wasn't as good as the first battle between the unnamed Karas and Eko (it was still a great fight, and when you take into account the other events that occured as a result of / during the battle it was definitely more significant / emotional, but man was that first battle entertaining) from an action standpoint, but the dialouge was pretty deep...

There are rumors that there may be a sequel movie / OVA but I guess only time will tell...