OtakuBoards

Gunslingers Unite!!! [M-VLS]

demonchild781

[SIZE=2][CENTER][FONT=Arial Narrow]Alright...how many of you lovely gents and ladies have read The Dark Tower series by Steven King?? About the great gunslinger Roland and his marry band of other-worldly gunslingers? Well if you have...GREAT! If ya haven't, you might not be interested in this thread...or the possible startings of a new RPG by yours truly. So let me know what you think. If its a go...or a no show because I'd like to spend some more time on OB...I miss it and all my charming friends that are on it!!

DC[/FONT][/CENTER][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]I'm currenty on the fourth book and, you're probably guessing by my whole theme at the moment, that I'm a total Tower Junkie.

I was thinking of doing an RPG of the series, but wasn't sure how to make it work. If you come up with any ideas, I'd be more than happy to help, if you needed it. You can count me in on this if you start it, fo' sho.[/SIZE]

[size=1]I've finished the series multiple times, and have yet had a proper idea on how to make a playable Dark Tower RPG.
And I don't think anyone should even try without finishing all seven books.

But if either of you want to throw ideas around, feel free to get in touch.
[b]AIM:[/b] darkorderknight0[/size]

[FONT=Garamond][COLOR=DarkRed]Well, aside from what I've already talked to DC about, I think it would be a marvelous idea.

But what if it wasn't centered around the happenings in the Seven DT books and more of a past in what Mid-World was like before it moved on. Perhaps there were other Gunslingers that scratched the surface of what was to come in later years, that something like the Dark Tower could mean a whimper of an end.

I find it truly brilliant, and I think if done right with dedicated players, it could be one hell of an RPG.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=1]To be honest, Angelus, I think that's the only real option available because in all honesty, we (or whoever writes this) can't assume what happens after the seventh book to continue the story, and trying to recreate Roland's adventures just wouldn't be the same.

I think that characters such as Cort, Marten, Roland etc are integral to the plot, however, but it would be easy to fit OCs in with Mid World's past. Perhaps going through the gunslinger trials before Roland and co. pass their tests?[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Garamond]I agree Ezekiel, it wouldn't be fair to any sort of plot (or writer for that matter) to recreate or prolong anything after the events in the seventh book.

I do find your idea on parallel events interesting though. And I also found that the early Mid-world was much more interesting and probably needed more credit than it received in any of the Seven Books.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[CENTER][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial Narrow]*claps hands* So happy to see others intrested. I will defiantly need much help in the creation of this rpg so I suppose this thread would be the best. You guys could even post segments of the proposed storyline and such here to give me a better idea what you guys are thinking. I will be working closely with Angelus, and of course, whomever else decides to put forth ideas.

I do like the whole "before Roland's adventures idea". I think limiting the amount of ppl being able to join would help keep the rpg going well...5 to 6 ppl maybe? Paralle to the story idea is good to, but do you think we should take actual characters from the book or something completely different...or instead of Cort and co...maybe Roland's father and his friends' parents?[/FONT][/SIZE][/CENTER]

• 1 month later...
[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Garamond]Right-o! The long awaited signup has been added in the Inn, and you're probably sniffing around here for the available towns to add to your sign up. There are only three listed here so far, and if you have any preferences to be located somewhere else, do let us know.

Anything else that I forget to mention here, or if you want to research anything from the Dark tower books can be found [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(series)]here[/URL]. I find Wikipedia to be rather helpfull, but I warn anyone that has any interest in reading the books, or who hasn't finished them yet to skip the Character's section.

If a town is a little vague in description, elaborate on it with your own imagination, make the town significant to you.

[B]Gillead-[/B] A town found within In-world, a prosperous province of a town that appears to have many noble families that consist of Gunslingers. Gilead was the birthplace of Roland Deschain, Son of Seven Deschain. While this Rpg will likely take place years before either existed, there should be no reason to include either chatacter. This town lays to the east of Taunton and the furthest from the ridgeback mountains.

[B]Taunton-[/B] A smaller locale than Gilead, the number of gunslingers and their families is small, and the suburban village seems to be rather dreamily quiet most of the time. It is a bit more of an exported goods town rather than one that attracts anything more than the occasional traveler passing through. The two named teachers of the young gunslingers are Sai-Anbell, the man that acts as somewhat of a school teacher, and then Sammson, a spry yet older instructor, willowy and blind, he is the training teacher for all young gunslinger boys in Taunton.

[B]Farrow-[/B] The town that lies beneath the Dragon's ridge. This town is rather open for anyone's shaping. Not much is known about it since there are very few who dare travel as far over the great plains between Taunton and Farrow to take their chance against the impossibly long line of mountains that stand above it.

A few other FAQs:
[B]
What's with all this "Sai" stuff?[/B]

"Sai" is a polite way of addressing someone in Mid-world using their last name. If someone were to say "Hello Mr. Smith" Here, in Mid-world it would be said as, "Hello, Sai-Smith" Or as a variation "Smith-sai".
[B]
What are these Trials DC is talking about?[/B]

Gunslinger boys at a certain age in their life (between the ages of 18-25 commonly) take their Gunslinger trials, in which they face off against their master in a violent duel. If the young man happens to win, he earns the right to wear his father's guns, thus stepping into manhood and finishing his apprenticeship. Boys who succumb to their master's skill and loose are turned to exile, forced to leave their families and friends, wandering forever as an outcast. The event of a boy taking his trials is usually a grand event, and veiwed by many people within the boy's family and town.

[B]Can we use other weapons that our guns?[/B]

You certainly may, but remember, as a Gunslinger, your primary weapons are your two hip shooters. Other common weapons are Bows, Bahs (crossbow), Slings, Poles, knives, and Oriza dishes (mainly used by women). Most Gunslingers can use more than one weapon, but it is not entirely needed.

[B]What about women? Can they be Gunslingers too?[/B]

No. The art and tradition of being a warrior under the gun is reserved to men only. There have been rare instances however, when young girls decide to strike out on their own, taking a weapon of choice and leading the life of justice and adventure.

[B]I'm pretty confused, who can I turn to?[/B]

You can either Ask DC or I for any help that you may need. We're friendly and don't bite too hard. PM us anytime you have a question!

And that should wrap things up for now. If other issues or questions arrise, I'll make sure to post them here.[/FONT][/COLOR]