OtakuBoards

want to start making manga

Guest patricofondaro

Guest patricofondaro
well ive liked manga for a really long time and im just curious (spelling) how can i start making my own manga i would really like to know your thoughts plz!

Guest sesshisgrl01
[quote name='patricofondaro']well ive liked manga for a really long time and im just curious (spelling) how can i start making my own manga i would really like to know your thoughts plz![/quote]

well first you have to come up with a story, then make the plot and every thing.
then comes the writing of what the ppl will go through and how they react etc..
you pretty much make a script
then you make up your characters
make a bio on them
then start a rough draft of the manga
double check wiht bios and script
then try for the final draft

there you go
i hope that wasnt too confusing :catgirl:

New to the world of manga creating, huh?

First thing I would suggest doing is to learn. This includes reading LOTS of manga (no complaints so far, I hope), drawing almost every chance you get, and studying the way people talk.

The last part might sound strange, but it's the most overlooked- and in my opinion, the most important- factor of a manga. Especially in the world of comics, the personality of a character is portrayed through the way they speak (i.e. how they show their personality through their speech), and a manga seems very off if the dialogue is unrealistic.

I can think of many instances when this happens in online manga, but because I don't want to insult people I'll just give you an example of a TV show. On Cartoon Network there is a program called Code Lyoko. Just watch one episode of it- it may be difficult, but there is an important lesson to be learned- and you will soon realize one thing about the dialogue. Nobody talks like that. If the show had a good plot, which it doesn't in my opinion, it would be completely killed by the unrealistic speech.

With reading manga you should learn to observe different things. Why you like a certain style of art, or a particular scene of a story, or a specific character are good things to notice. With learning your own tastes you can find what you would like to do in your own manga. Just be sure that you don?t wind up copying your favorite manga.

Once you have researched the good and the bad sides of manga (learn to appreciate both so you can be similar to one and completely avoid the other), you have to come up with a story and characters. Figure the personalities of your characters out before you figure out their appearance, it will make things much easier later on.

After that you can do designs of everything, storyboard your scenes, and make the manga.

I'm really just condensing a long, and sometimes painful, process, but I'd be more than happy to answer some more specific questions.

Guest sesshisgrl01
[QUOTE=Chikara Kokoro]New to the world of manga creating, huh?

First thing I would suggest doing is to learn. This includes reading LOTS of manga (no complaints so far, I hope), drawing almost every chance you get, and studying the way people talk.

The last part might sound strange, but it's the most overlooked- and in my opinion, the most important- factor of a manga. Especially in the world of comics, the personality of a character is portrayed through the way they speak (i.e. how they show their personality through their speech), and a manga seems very off if the dialogue is unrealistic.

I can think of many instances when this happens in online manga, but because I don't want to insult people I'll just give you an example of a TV show. On Cartoon Network there is a program called Code Lyoko. Just watch one episode of it- it may be difficult, but there is an important lesson to be learned- and you will soon realize one thing about the dialogue. Nobody talks like that. If the show had a good plot, which it doesn't in my opinion, it would be completely killed by the unrealistic speech.

With reading manga you should learn to observe different things. Why you like a certain style of art, or a particular scene of a story, or a specific character are good things to notice. With learning your own tastes you can find what you would like to do in your own manga. Just be sure that you don?t wind up copying your favorite manga.

Once you have researched the good and the bad sides of manga (learn to appreciate both so you can be similar to one and completely avoid the other), you have to come up with a story and characters. Figure the personalities of your characters out before you figure out their appearance, it will make things much easier later on.

After that you can do designs of everything, storyboard your scenes, and make the manga.

I'm really just condensing a long, and sometimes painful, process, but I'd be more than happy to answer some more specific questions.[/QUOTE]

yeah you might want to follow this advice cuz im just a amatur(sp?)

i agree with Chikara Kokoro

you have to study everything you see
ex: -characters' figures & how they act/personality
-panels (might sound easy, but kind of hard to make it look really interesting)
-speech ballons (pretty easy, i hope)
-clothings
-buildings
-perspectives
-tonings

even though when you see something that's pretty easy to do, it might turn out to be really hard
but im not saying that you have to learn it at once
you just learn as you draw

as for the plot, i suggest that you think about it long & hard
dont just write just because you like the idea at the time
think about the future of your manga & how you want it to be
your ideas might change overtime, or maybe you have other ideas/plots in mind
just remember to think about them carefully & how they could affect your manga

sorry to lecture you like this, but i'm just sharing you my experience
i'd made a lot of mistakes on my 1st manga
so...yeah

well, anyway, good luck on your manga!^ ^

Guest patricofondaro
thank you very muchh and whenever code LYOKO (err whatever it is) comes on i change the channel im more of an adult swim person and on demand

• 3 weeks later...
my biggest issure with starting a book, is I have the story down, plot etc. but when it comes to getting it down on paper. Nothing is every good enough. Then I end up getting frustrated.. leading to nothing getting drawn. Or what has been drawn, ends up earsed or in the trash. :animestun

[quote name='Tank!']my biggest issure with starting a book, is I have the story down, plot etc. but when it comes to getting it down on paper. Nothing is every good enough. Then I end up getting frustrated.. leading to nothing getting drawn. Or what has been drawn, ends up earsed or in the trash. :animestun[/quote]
That's only an issue if you want to be published because if it's on the internet the quality doesn't matter. It's always neat to see the improvement artists have made over the course of their manga. On top of that you are your own worst critic, and so you should probably just go for it and trust in your own abilities. Of course, your other option is to find an artist other than you for your story, but it can be difficult to find someone you can trust to be completely devoted to the story.

I'm more interested in the art work, than the story. I think I just have to sit and draw, until I get it all out. You know kinda like one of those exercise where you just doodle whatever, until your ready to dive into what you're set to do.

Guest Tazuma
Well, I geuss the peoples told you about the personality and feeling of what your going to do in concideration. And I agree with Chikara Kokoro...Code Lyoko is horriable! Don't forget page set ups & details. Some people my just be looking for a good story. But you'll get more people of you do the story and the art. I tried to work on a short manga before. But once I got to page three I fell back and fell asleep. :animesigh It takes a lot of time and dedication.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Tank!']my biggest issure with starting a book, is I have the story down, plot etc. but when it comes to getting it down on paper. Nothing is every good enough. Then I end up getting frustrated.. leading to nothing getting drawn. Or what has been drawn, ends up earsed or in the trash. :animestun[/quote]

Yeah that is about the same with me. I can draw on a normal sheet of drawing paper with a normal size character but when it comes to drawing in a little box... i can only draw with stick figures or and triangle person.

[quote name='Deathsye']Yeah that is about the same with me. I can draw on a normal sheet of drawing paper with a normal size character but when it comes to drawing in a little box... i can only draw with stick figures or and triangle person.[/quote][color=#b0000b][size=1]Tip: Draw normal sized characters on a normal sheet of drawing paper. Make a panel layout for the page. Scan and resize your large image so that it fits in the appropriate panel.[/size][/color]

Guest Ed'sGrlDanielle
I would suggest that you start off making up a name for the manga, then make the characters and make solid, for-sure-that-you-want-it names for them, then, settings, outfits, plot, and, well you get the picture, right?

• 8 months later...
Guest KoboyashiSumiko
I have the same problem. I have my plot and my character, but I dont know where to start. :animesigh Ive drawn characters over and over, drawn profiles and written personalities for each one but, I just cant start! Can someone give me a tip? :animecry:

Well i'll start this go to one of your favorite manga companies and get the guideline on how to submit a manga. but this is really the last thing you have to do i would really start by designing the characters and writting the story for them also try and design as many characters and locations as you possibly can always keeping into account the plot and storyline also remember that everyone creates at there own pace and nothing is ever perfect. if someone is faster and better at drawing then you don't worry about it. you stlye is your own after you thaught throught every step you want to take in which ever order you like. submit the idea to you favorite comapny which ever it may be? while in the time you submitted your ideas keep improving you manga skill depending on what you want to do in that field you know drawing, painting, toneing or whatever it maybe. :D Plus this is the best advice i can give anyone NEVER GIVE UP. :D

Guest NIKI12345
[quote name='KoboyashiSumiko']I have the same problem. I have my plot and my character, but I dont know where to start. :animesigh Ive drawn characters over and over, drawn profiles and written personalities for each one but, I just cant start! Can someone give me a tip? :animecry:[/quote]

Yeah same here, but mine is a 78 page story with pictures of the charcters and there personality traits, past, goal, and much more. I have tried finding a publisher for kids, but they don't have any. I guess I have to wait until I'm 21 before I can send in my story.

• 5 months later...
[quote name='KoboyashiSumiko']I have the same problem. I have my plot and my character, but I dont know where to start. :animesigh Ive drawn characters over and over, drawn profiles and written personalities for each one but, I just cant start! Can someone give me a tip? :animecry:[/QUOTE]

Same here, ha-ha~

Although I think in my case, it's just because I'm so lazy. I'll work on the first page, but whenever I do, I'm never satisfied. Then I'll lose inspiration, motivation, etc. That's usually what causes me to leave so many of my projects unfinished.

As for your conflict, maybe you should just start, even though you don't know where to. It's better to try than to not try at all, and if you're not satisfied with it, try again in a new direction, perhaps~ Sorry, I hope that helped a little. ^-^;

I too am starting a manga. If it helps, I'll tell you what I've started with so far. I figured out the genre and theme, and I'm working a little farther on the plot. Try to make sure you don't run into cliches, and avoid too many similarities between your manga and others. I'm working on the script and getting a general idea of what the characters and the panels will look like as I go along. Well aside from the characters who I planned out already. Practice the things your not so good with and use your imagination. Good luck.

• 7 months later...
[quote name='Ed'sGrlDanielle']I would suggest that you start off making up a name for the manga, then make the characters and make solid, for-sure-that-you-want-it names for them, then, settings, outfits, plot, and, well you get the picture, right?[/QUOTE]

i am also starting a manga, and now that i have most of the plot and names and characters i want to start changing names and how my main character looks, my main character has about four or five different looks:animedepr. it's crazy:animestun and it does take crazy attention and determination you have to submerge yourself in it, and really just take your time. but it's going to get really frustrating and drive you nuts, i've drawn my first page about 3 times and they are all in the trash:animeangr

my free webs for the story is [URL="http://www.freewebs.com/ice_avenger/"]http://www.freewebs.com/ice_avenger/[/URL]

but really you dont need to know it all just pay attention to what you know and learn what you dont know.

[quote name='NIKI12345']Yeah same here, but mine is a 78 page story with pictures of the charcters and there personality traits, past, goal, and much more. I have tried finding a publisher for kids, but they don't have any. I guess I have to wait until I'm 21 before I can send in my story.[/QUOTE]

they wont publish if your a kid?! how come? isnt that age discrimination? i mean they have child actors, writers etc. so why not child manga-ka?:o

[color=darkblue][size=1]If you need to add something on to the post, you can use the Edit button located on your first post to do so. Try to do that in the future instead of double-posting, 'kay? :3 -[b]Kei[/b][/color][/size]

• 1 year later...
I always get motivated by watching anime while drawing.As for the story i pretty much suck.It happens that in certain moments i get some ideas but because of lack of motivation and because am lazy i quickly give up.:animestun:animecry::animedepr:animenose