OtakuBoards

Super Mario Galaxy

Ellerby

[center][img]http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/2949/smg7py.gif[/img][/center]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]If you are as excited about the Wii as I am, or if you are any type of Mario fan, you'll have heard about the gravity defying Wii launch title, Super Mario Galaxy.

Although there is no [u][url=http://wii.nintendo.com/games_mario.html]official[/url][/u] site for SMG, you can find pictures and videos of the game [u][url=http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748588/vids_1.html]here[/url][/u].

If you have not seen any of the videos shown in the link above, do so now. Three of the four are gameplay videos and the last one is more of a commercial displaying how the Wiimote is used in it.

From what I've seen, you control Mario with the directional pad (and/or) the attatched analog stick. A to jump, and other buttons to do other things. The way SMG takes advantage of the Wiimote is the little yellow star you may have noticed on the screen. From what I can tell, this star is controlled by the Wiimote (most obvious use of it is in the video against the giant spider boss).

I'm [i]very[/i] excited to play this game and will definately be the game I get with my Wii (although I'll be buying about five others at the same time :P). [/FONT] [/COLOR]

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Oh nintendo, why must you continue to tease me with such games that appear to be just to appealing to let up. -marks another game on his Wii list-

I have no idea why but it seems like with every nintendo console release I always get a mario game along with it. I bet this time will be no different. The gameplay seems more like the origionaly Super Mario 64, No FLUDD though, to bad to I liked using the FlUDD. Yet the whole WII controler action with the other little star thing seems intresting. It may just be a little odd to get used to but isnt almost every new console controler.

The idea of those multiple mini planets that you get to stroll on are actually rather awesome. Each with their own gravity and all of that cool stuff. Now I think I just may go to Japan..and claim a Wii..before anyone else. Why must nintendo do this to us all of a sudden!?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]I know how you feel, bud. I have a Wii list too. With too many games on it to boot.

What I want to know is if there will be anything like teleportation pads (like the paintings in Mario 64) of some sort. If there is absolutely [i]no[/i] zoning, then that means the game and all the levels is basically one big galaxy, with no loading screens, then there should be pads to teleport you from one side to the other.

I saw the star pads, which shot Mario to (what is most likely) a new level. But that only fires you so far. [/FONT] [/COLOR]

[quote name='Ikillion][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I have no idea why but it seems like with every nintendo console release I always get a mario game along with it. I bet this time will be no different. The gameplay seems more like the origionaly Super Mario 64, No FLUDD though, to bad to I liked using the FlUDD. Yet the whole WII controler action with the other little star thing seems intresting. It may just be a little odd to get used to but isnt almost every new console controler.[/FONT][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

The problem is when there [i]isn't[/i] a Mario game at launch.

Right now I predict that Super Mario Galaxy won't be available directly at launch (because Zelda is launching with the system as I also predicted here a while back). It probably won't be too long of a wait though, but they are going to want to get this one just right. Right now I'm primarily interested in seeing how Nintendo incorporates various systems of gravity into the game depending on the size of the planet Mario is on. There's a lot of awesome gameplay possibilities there. This is also one of the only games shown at E3 that truly seems to tap into the Wii's graphical capabilities.

And for the record, FLUDD sucked and I don't want anything like that coming anywhere near this game. It ruined what a Mario game should be about. Think about it. Mario Sunshine was the first Mario game that wasn't so intuitive that anyone could just pick it up and play it. The best portions of that game were noticably the ones where FLUDD was absent. FLUDD wasn't a bad idea necessarily and I had fun with it, but it definitely clashed with the design I love in these games.

Also, to the thread creator, good job. This is in line with what I expect when people create threads here.

[quote name='Charles']Right now I predict that Super Mario Galaxy won't be available directly at launch (because Zelda is launching with the system as I also predicted here a while back). It probably won't be too long of a wait though, but they are going to want to get this one just right.[/quote][FONT=Tahoma][color=#555555]I'm pretty sure they'll have SMG as a launch title simply because if they don't, there will be no Mario games at launch. And like you said, that's a problem.

With Super Smash Bros. Brawl releasing in 2007, the closest thing we'll have to Mario will be [i]Wario Ware[/i] which, don't get me wrong, is a good series, but it's nothing near what the Mario games are.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=White][FONT=Tahoma][color=#555555]I'm pretty sure they'll have SMG as a launch title simply because if they don't, there will be no Mario games at launch. And like you said, that's a problem.

With Super Smash Bros. Brawl releasing in 2007, the closest thing we'll have to Mario will be [i]Wario Ware[/i] which, don't get me wrong, is a good series, but it's nothing near what the Mario games are.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Well, remember, there's also Super Paper Mario releasing in October. It looks like it's going to be a very traditional Mario game, only with RPG elements. I'm probably just as excited about that as I am Super Mario Galaxy. Yoshi's Island 2 is in the works too. It's definitely a good year for Mario fans.

At any rate, my guess is that Super Mario Galaxy will be a launch window title that'll be available within two months of the Wii launch. I don't think there's ever been a Zelda at launch before, and I don't know if Nintendo would want to obscure the importance of that game at all. But, if it does release with the system, then of course, that will be great too.

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Yeah, Yoshi's Island 2 (Nintendo DS) and Super Paper Mario (GCN) look like great games. But neither of them will be coming out for the Wii. So, that still leaves us with 0 Mario games for the Wii until at least a month after it has been out (which isn't even a lot). Although, you could easily just play Super Paper Mario on the Wii...

Anyways, Super Mario Galaxy looks exciting. It's definately the game I want to get first on my list of games (if it comes out as a launch title). The whole star cursor aspect is new, and has not been done before. The gravity thing is also a fresh touch to the Mario games.

But.. what about plot?

Of all my searching, all anyone talks about is the game aspects. But nobody talks about a storyline. Why the hell is Mario in [i]space[/i]?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS][quote name='White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Why the hell is Mario in [i]space[/i]?[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
That was probably the funniest thing I've read today, as simple as it was. :D

I remember the first thing I thought when I saw this with all the other E3 stuff:
"Holy Crap! Mario has finally found a way to shatter the laws of gravity, physics [B][I]AND[/I][/B] whatever field of science breathing goes into!!!"

I think the funniest thing, though is that I didn't question Mario being in space intil White pointed it out... :animeswea [/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Tatsubei Yagyu][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I remember the first thing I thought when I saw this with all the other E3 stuff:
"Holy Crap! Mario has finally found a way to shatter the laws of gravity, physics [B][I]AND[/I][/B] whatever field of science breathing goes into!!!"[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]I think Mario has been throwing biology out the window since the original SMB. I mean, since when could somebody double their height by eating a mushroom? Or grow a raccoon tail and ears--and fly with them--by holding onto a leaf? And I won't even get into the absurdity of turning into solid metal. If Mario can do all that, what's a little vacuum going to hurt?

Anyway, I've read impressions and watched videos, and SMG looks like it will also be one of, if not the first Wii game I buy. (But still after Twilight Princess, of course.) I still love Mario 64 to death and I'm really looking forward to Mario getting back to pure platforming--no FLUDD attached. SMS was fun to play through once, but I just haven't felt like going back to it again, as opposed to having played through Mario 64 four times.

I just hope they give you an option for manual camera control. I know a lot of people didn't like SMS's full manual camera, but I loved it. Going from Mario 64, where even on the Lakitu mode I had to finagle the camera into giving me the correct angle, to SMS were I could move the camera and have it actually [i]stay there[/i]--that was absolutely wonderful. Never once while playing SMS did I have complaints about the camera, since I could always move it to the best possible position.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']I think Mario has been throwing biology out the window since the original SMB. I mean, since when could somebody double their height by eating a mushroom? Or grow a raccoon tail and ears--and fly with them--by holding onto a leaf? And I won't even get into the absurdity of turning into solid metal. If Mario can do all that, what's a little vacuum going to hurt?[/color][/quote]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]That's all very true. But what I meant was how did Mario even end up in space? I realize he's a video game character so he could easily just breath in space or whatever, but [i]why[/i]?

In all the trailers and screenshots, I never once saw any familiar characters besides Mario and Bullet Bill (a very minor character). Did Bowser capture Peach and send Mario into space so he couldn't get her back? Did Bowser make a space station or something? I realize it may be a bit early to be asking storyline questions, but when I first heard about Super Mario Galaxy this is just the first thing I thought of.

And about FLUDD, I dispised it. Alright fine, it was a nice change, but I got annoyed with it before I even finished the game. I wouldn't mind if it did make a comeback though. Wether it be a mini-game or just a [size=1]very[/size] small portion of SMG where he has it.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Well, I was replying to Tatsubei's comment about Mario breaking various scientific laws (hence the reason I quoted him, you know), rather than why Mario would be in space in the first place. About that, I haven't a clue. Of course, I don't really much care, either; it's a Mario game, so the story is kind of inconsequential. But it does seem kind of odd.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']Well, I was replying to Tatsubei's comment about Mario breaking various scientific laws (hence the reason I quoted him, you know), rather than why Mario would be in space in the first place. About that, I haven't a clue. Of course, I don't really much care, either; it's a Mario game, so the story is kind of inconsequential. But it does seem kind of odd.[/color][/quote][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Ah, yeah. Sorry about that.

But you're right. With Mario games, it's not the storyline that makes it a good game. There isn't any plot to Super Smash Bros. Melee and that's an amazing game... (slowly makes his way to post in the SSBB thread).

I have a question for all of you, however (hehe... me and my questions). Let's say that at any part of the game, there is a short portion where Mario [i]does[/i] get the FLUDD. Do you think that he will get the [i]FLUDD[/i], or a new E. Gadd invention? If you think a new one, I want to hear what you think it'll be.

Something else to think about is Multiplayer mode. When Nintendo put Mario 64 out for the Nintendo DS, they added three characters for players to play with eachother. I'm wondering if SMG will have a multiplayer option (online or not) that you can choose to play with friends.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I doubt there will be FLUDD, because we have the Wiimote instead. The remote allows you to pull at objects and collect coins and things like that. So it effectively takes the place of FLUDD.

Anyway, I thought FLUDD was a good addition to Super Mario Sunshine - it worked well, it was intuitive and it added a new dimension to gameplay. The problem with that game wasn't FLUDD, in my view; it was generally poor level design, often-uninteresting challenges (red coin collecting) and a lack of innovation in some areas.

But Sunshine was still a great game by any measure.

As for Super Mario Galaxy...I think it makes sense to send Mario to space. You've got Land, World...and what's next? Galaxy, of course. Besides, being in space provides no limitations (not that Mario was particularly limited on the ground either) - by that I mean, there's a lot more potential freedom in creating weird and wonderful levels.

I don't think SMG has a "hub" system (thankfully) and I also don't think it has a manual camera (it doesn't need one, because all levels take place on spheres - you'll notice that the camera always maintains a specific distance from Mario). Perhaps you can center the camera behind him or zoom in/out, but I'd say Nintendo is being very careful about camera control this time. The level design has been partially dictated by the need for a clean and effective camera system.

This game could come out for launch, but if not it will probably be released within two months of Wii's launch day (according to Nintendo). I wouldn't worry about that anyway - Wii will have a massive launch list as-is (including Zelda, Metroid, Excite Truck and plenty of others).[/font]

[quote name='White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma] or a new E. Gadd invention[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I think that may just be the answer to your own question. How did Mario get into space? Probaly become for some reason Bowser has gotten some OMFG like super weapon to control...something into space. Who else does Mario look for, for a thing to get into space? E. Gadd exactly. Then he gets into space and then I am thinking of a line that goes something liike.."Well Mario, in the 1 out of 463,343,343 chances that this thing will fail in space, here take this pill and you will be able to breath in space." So thats how Mario was somehow lost in space doing something to stop bowser, as he always does.

EDIT:
[QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium]
As for Super Mario Galaxy...I think it makes sense to send Mario to space. You've got Land, World...and what's next? Galaxy
[/font][/QUOTE]

Why is it that when I look at Mario like this I am tempted to think of a Mario Universe that will include just about parts of almost every Mario game to date with...added stuff?

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='White][color=#555555][font=Tahoma]Did Bowser make a space station or something?[/font'][/color][/quote]
I know I'd love to see something like that. Though I suppose it'd be more of a James Bond thing, rather than Mario. And the Mario franchise has never really been big on outside references.

Then again...having an actual space station level would be pretty keen. Put Peach in a yellow jumpsuit a la Moonraker, lol. You know...I'd like that. Might be a bit too much like Conker, though. Bleh.

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']I don't think SMG has a "hub" system (thankfully) and I also don't think it has a manual camera (it doesn't need one, because all levels take place on spheres - you'll notice that the camera always maintains a specific distance from Mario). Perhaps you can center the camera behind him or zoom in/out, but I'd say Nintendo is being very careful about camera control this time. The level design has been partially dictated by the need for a clean and effective camera system.[/font][/quote][color=#4B0082]I don't see why everything being on a sphere would negate the need for camera control. Sure, you can't fall off the edge and plummet to your death, but that doesn't mean it's fun to run around without being able to see what's in front of you. From watching those gameplay videos, there were some pretty horrible angles in there where you couldn't see anything in Mario's path on the spheres until he was right on top of it. And there were also times when the camera would be at some funky diagonal pointing off away from where you're running, but not far enough to give you a decent side view. Or, in other words, there were camera angles in there crying out, "fix me!" with a very loud voice.

Now, I understand that the game is still in development, so the auto-camera may not be as good as it will be at release. But, no matter how good they get it, I doubt it can ever be as good as a full manual camera in the hands of someone who's good with it. And, for those people (i.e. me), being forced into the mercy of an auto-camera will only cause frustration, the same as it did in Mario 64. Maybe not as much as with Mario 64, since they've no doubt improved since then, but since an auto-camera can't read people's minds, it's not going to get it right all the time.

I'm not opposed to the inclusion of an auto-camera; I think the option should definitely be there for people who aren't good with manual control. I just also want an option for full manual control, like how you could switch between the Mario cam and Lakitu cam in Mario 64. Mario was more automatic and Lakitu allowed greater control (though still not fully manual). But the thing is, once you got good with the Lakitu cam it was always and without fail better than the Mario cam.[/color]

If the camera is anything like Super Mario Sunshine's then I'm not going anywhere near this game. When I have to spend more time battling the camera then I do platforming and adventuring then I may as well be playing a Sonic Adventure game.

I just want a 3D Mario game where I can run and jump around effortlessly without having to worry about stupid gimmicks like backpacks or antiquated cameras. The Wii controller should be able to provide that ease of play so I'm optimistic.

[quote]I don't see why everything being on a sphere would negate the need for camera control. Sure, you can't fall off the edge and plummet to your death, but that doesn't mean it's fun to run around without being able to see what's in front of you. From watching those gameplay videos, there were some pretty horrible angles in there where you couldn't see anything in Mario's path on the spheres until he was right on top of it. And there were also times when the camera would be at some funky diagonal pointing off away from where you're running, but not far enough to give you a decent side view. Or, in other words, there were camera angles in there crying out, "fix me!" with a very loud voice.
[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I don't really agree...I've seen multiple videos and the angles always seemed fine for me.

The reason the spherical worlds are different is largely [i]because[/i] they are spherical. Any structures that Mario runs and jumps on are usually designed so that the camera can rove around them - a sphere has no walls, it's not like a mountainous region or an enclosed space. As a result, you tend to get better visibility - there's also a difference in viewing the horizon, which gives you higher visibility of what's surrounding Mario in all directions.

I think FLUDD wasn't handled well in some cases, but it was generally a good addition to the gameplay. I don't view it as a gimmick at all. The spraying of objects wasn't always so interesting, but the hovering aspect was pretty fundamental to the way the game played, particularly as it relates to level design. There were lots of areas where you had to jump/hover/run and repeat, in order to make it across. It's not much different to floating in Super Mario Bros 3, really. What I objected to was various add-ons for FLUDD...they were mostly pretty useless.

As I said though, the Wii controller really replaces any need for FLUDD or a backpack/device. It's also far more flexible in what it allows you to do.[/font]

[color=#4B0082]Most of what I've seen was fine, but there've been a few bits I've seen where the camera goes at a certain angle and I know I'd be irritated if I were playing and couldn't move it to a better one. Which is exactly the sort of thing I got annoyed at in Mario 64, where I'd move the camera somewhere and it would shift back to where it was originally, completely on its own, and not let me get the view I wanted. In some places I just ended up having to memorize when, where, and how far the camera was going to shift so that I could compensate for it, or else my jumps would get screwed up and I'd miss wherever I was trying to get to.

As for the spherical environments, that doesn't even factor into my concerns. I'm talking about basic camera angle control that's relevant no matter what the environment is like. Say the camera is following me from behind like it does, but then I want a side view. Can I move the camera to get that view? Or say I'm moving forward, but I want to rotate the camera a little off center from my destination so that I can get a better sense for how far ahead of me things are. Can I do that?

With SMS's manual camera I could do those sorts of things no matter where I was, [i]even whilie running[/i]. With Mario 64's camera . . . not always. Could I if all I could do was center the camera behind me and zoom in/out? Kind of, but it would be slow, awkward, frustrating, and I definitely couldn't do it while moving. Sphere or no, these issues are going to come up, and if there's no manual camera control then there's no decent way of dealing with them.

What I'm really afraid of is a camera like the one in Super Mario 64 DS while you're using the standard control scheme. The one where you use the control cross to move and the L button to center the camera behind you, and there's no other camera control short of reaching down and pressing on the touch screen. (Which isn't viable while using both the control cross and face buttons.) Even just on the flat areas of Bob-omb Battlefield, where there aren't any structures to obstruct your view, running around with that camera is horribly awkward and limiting.

Sure, you can play and beat the game with that camera. But it's going to suck a lot of the fun out of it when the auto-camera doesn't give you the angle you want and you have no decent way of moving the camera yourself. And if that happens too often, it gets to the point where you put the game down and play something else. I very nearly did that with Mario 64 DS, until I got good enough with the touch screen movement; that control scheme gives you manual camera rotation on the X and Y buttons.[/color]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I think this underlines the fact that nobody is going to be entirely satisfied with the outcome.

Some people, as evidenced in this thread, do not want a SMS-style manual camera. Those players find it annoying to constantly have to change camera angles while controlling Mario - they would probably rather have an "intelligent" camera which always provides an optimal view.

And then there are people like you (and me as well), who would probably rather a more manual camera, where we can select whatever viewing angle we want with ease.

In terms of moving the camera to the side and stuff...I'd probably say, are you really going to be running around with Mario while you have a side-on view? I doubt it. You wouldn't be able to see what's ahead of you that way. Realistically, an above-and-behind view is probably going to be optimal for most situations. In some videos you can see the camera pan out and to the side slightly, so as to provide plenty of forward-visibility while also letting you see behind Mario and to his side.

At the end of the day I don't know what Nintendo will do, but I am presuming that they will go with a more automated camera this time around. Due to the way levels are designed, a totally manual camera isn't as necessary as it was before, because visibility is much better now.

However, I imagine there will probably at least be some sort of first-person option where you can see through Mario's eyes and look around.

But as I said, I don't know. I can only speculate based on what I [i]do[/i] know. With any luck, Nintendo will provide a couple of different camera styles in the options menu.[/font]

[color=#4B0082]Which is why I hope they have options for both camera styles, similar to the Mario and Lakitu cameras in Mario 64. Some people want an auto-camera? They have it. Others want a full manual camera? Switch over to it and there you go.

Considering that they came very, very close to doing just that ten years ago in Mario 64, I know they can do it now for SMG. From what I've been reading about the control scheme it seems like mapping camera control to the control cross would work just fine (unless I've missed something and it's already being used), so I'm going to be disappointed if they don't give us any options at all.

As for side views, I actually use them all the time in Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine. You can see plenty far enough ahead if you zoom the camera out, and the perspective can help a lot when you're trying to jump over obstacles and such. (Pretty much the entire Rainbow Ride level in Mario 64 is a great example of this.) I do expect the spherical environments in SMG to reduce the need for side views somewhat, but I doubt they're all going to be plain enough to eliminate the need entirely.

And I agree, I also think it's likely that Nintendo will use a more automated camera, to make the game easier for anyone to pick up and play. Which is exactly why I'm worried, since I've always prefered manual camera control whenever I have the option. Making the game easy to get into is great and all, but I don't think they should sacrifice greater control for it when it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to provide options for both.[/color]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Well, well...

I really don't care what camera style they decide to use. A Mario game is a Mario game and that's that. I haven't played a new one in such a long time that I don't think anything could ruin it for me. I love my Mario and how the camera follows him won't bother me.

However, if I had my way, I would go with the auto-follow (I don't really know all the fancy camera terms) style. What I would want is a camera style that is always follows Mario unless I move it around with something else (like a C-Stick). When I let go, the camera would go back to the default position behind Mario.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]From [url=http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=512][u]N-Sider.com[/u][/url]:[/color]

[quote]While the camera does a pretty good job of pointing in an advantageous direction by itself, you also have the (often undiscovered) option of manually controlling it with the d-pad. It functions similarly to the C buttons in Mario 64, with taps left and right rotating the camera, and taps up and down zooming it in and out. You can also center the camera directly behind Mario at any time by tapping the C button on the Nunchuk attachment.[/quote][color=#4B0082]And my worries are put to rest. Though I'd hope there's also an option for smooth rotation by holding down left/right instead of tapping a direction to rotate the camera a set amount like in Mario 64. And, of course, I also hope the camera actually stays where I put it until I center it again with the nunchuk's C button. (Rather than letting it drift like in Mario 64.) If they do it that way it'll be really similar to Zelda: The Wind Waker's camera, which I liked a lot.[/color]

[QUOTE=Desbreko][color=#4B0082]From [url=http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=512][u]N-Sider.com[/u][/url]:[/color]

[color=#4B0082]And my worries are put to rest. Though I'd hope there's also an option for smooth rotation by holding down left/right instead of tapping a direction to rotate the camera a set amount like in Mario 64. And, of course, I also hope the camera actually stays where I put it until I center it again with the nunchuk's C button. (Rather than letting it drift like in Mario 64.) If they do it that way it'll be really similar to Zelda: The Wind Waker's camera, which I liked a lot.[/color][/QUOTE]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Oh, yes. I love the Wind Waker camera control.

So, this is all good. It seems to satisfy most everyone's needs. But I have to say, I did not see a C Button on the nunchuk attachment. Where is it? Is it just pressing the analog stick inward?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]There are two trigger buttons on the nunchuck attachment that you can use with your index finger. One is C, and I think the other is labeled Z. If you go to the [url=http://wii.nintendo.com/controller.html][u]Controller[/u][/url] page of the official Wii site you can see them on the back of the nunchuck.

So it sounds like it should be the same as using the C stick and L buttons to control the camera in TWW, only using the control cross and C button instead.[/color]