OtakuBoards

Which romance do you like best?

Panache

This is for the romance fans. Which is my favorite genre.

Romances that focuses on the guy

pro's : Usually funnier and full of hapiness with a slight moment of depth which to the new anime lover seems really great

con's: generally lacks the "deep" qualites of an anime that focuses on the woman or equally on on both.

Romance that focuses on the girl

pro's: generally deeper that ones that focus on guys and still have that funny element usually(if girl is on the younger spectrum on things)

con's: generally not as funny as male dominated anime's and sometimes the "deepness" is overthought and becomes cheesy

Romance that focuses on both

pro's: if done well this kind of anime is legendary(his and her circumstances for example)

con's: if not generally not funny nor deep just lame

I personally prefer male dominated anime but that is just me. So what do you think?

Two really good Romance:

Fruits Basket - Manga: - Female focus
It does focus on Tohru alot. But then it also builds up the stories of the people around her. And in the anime it does have chapters from Yuki or Kyo's view. So its not female-thoughts dominated. AND its funny, and some of the characters are so cute and lovable.

Saikano: Focus: Kinda girl but it also shows alot of the guys feelings. (especially in the manga, some things about guys thoughts, I really didn't wanna know.)
This anime/manga is amazing. But really deep, and sad, and ... and.. :animecry:
It has hardly any humour at all in it: which in my opinion is good, comedy just wouldn't mix with the story. But if your a romance (tragedy) fan. Saikano is prefect.

The thing about male focus romance is sometimes the girls become just annoying and stupid. Or the guy is to prevy or stupid - though that can be funny. But then I haven't seen as many as I have gilr focus. However, would you call Chobits a male focus romance anime/manga?? I suppose you would with the 'on' button scene. That is funny. AND in some parts its deep.

So ... I dunno which I prefer. Hmmm.... Probably female focus. I am a girl, and can relate to it better, without getting annoied with pervy guys...

Yea that seems to be an occuring problem. Mostly male doinated animes are less serious and more focused on the funny side of things. But really thats why I love it. The guys are retarded and its helarious to see the mbe dummies.But I disagree that the girls look like dummies. Using chobits as an example exept chi herself most of the women were quite wise and in a way manipulated Hedeki into things. So really I think most of the time women are portrayed as very wise while the guy is a moron.

Thats true actually. :animeblus It is usuually the guy shown as stupid, or untactful in relationships. - Love Hina, a perfect example. lol

I can't remember now what it was that I was thinking of, where I found the girl character annoying. I know I find Sakura annoying in her love of Sasuke. (At the biggining mainly, when she was really a fangirl) But thats hardly a romance anime.

[quote name='Kita Erindur'] I know I find Sakura annoying in her love of Sasuke. (At the biggining mainly, when she was really a fangirl) But thats hardly a romance anime.[/quote] By hardly you mean not at all right? The whole romance thing was tacked on just to take up page space really.

Okay, how about I add my own yaoi-crazed imput and say shounen-ai is the best romance? OK, before you guys all go and roll your eyes about my bishie-crazed obsession, I do have a reason! Not only do you get the humor of a guy as the main character, but there's also a sort of sensitivity. Take Gravitation. It's one of the funniest anime I can think of, and yet it's really touching, because in gay anime couples the males can take on a more feminine and sensitive role. Yeah. That's it. Or maybe it's just my alibi... hooray for Brokeback Manga. XD

Lol :animesmil

I've only read one shounen-ai - Fake. And I found that too, you get funny guy thoughts, as well as deepness you sometimes only get in girl focus romance. Fake also had a good storyline to go with it though.

Could you recomend me some Pagn Angel??

I really like the romance genre and i would have to say my favorite to date is Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances). Which you listed as being under both catagories, which i can agree with. I loved that series mainly because all of the characters were so incredibly well rounded and the entire series didn't just focus on the two main characters but it went real in-depth on all the other characters as well and it had a real great dramatic storyline while also be real funny at the same time.

Fruits Basket is another great series, though i've never read the manga i really liked the anime. It had a real unique plotline that progressed real well, and while the whole 'zodiac curse' thing seemed kinda wierd to me at first, they really don't overplay it at all and it actually benefitted the series a lot.

One of my more recent favorites is Lamune, and I honestly have no idea why, each episode is really about nothing except the everday lives of couple and nothing really exciting or dramatic happens till the end of the series, but i was strangley hooked on it after the first episode.

[QUOTE=Kita Erindur]Lol :animesmil

I've only read one shounen-ai - Fake. And I found that too, you get funny guy thoughts, as well as deepness you sometimes only get in girl focus romance. Fake also had a good storyline to go with it though.

Could you recomend me some Pagn Angel??[/QUOTE]

Why yes, yes I can: Gravitation, Gravitation, and Gravitation. It's one of the funniest series I've ever seen- where else can you get a pink-haired singer in a banana suit, a 30-year-old toting around a stuffed bunny, and a slightly insane gun-toting American manager with gorgeous blonde hair?- but it's also super heart-wrenching once you get midway into the story, dealing with themes like unrequited love and rape. If you haven't yet, go pick up Gravitation right now without bothering to read the rest of this post.

Loveless is also excellent. It gets deep on a psychological level and has so many themes in it- school, fantasy, action, acceptance, and revenge. It's one of those thought-provoking series, but it also has a charming touch of light-hearted humor. Nothing side-stitching like Gravitation or Fake, but still worthy of a few chuckles and well worth the price.

Hmm I didnt add that kind of thing beacuse of personal reasons. I don't wanna discuss them here beacuse it will start a pointless arguement. But im going to add something. It is not my favorite kind of romance anime but my favorite anmie (kare kano) focused on both. Also I like all genres but I jsut happen to favor the guy oriented one beacuse im a guy.