OtakuBoards

Shoujo-Ai/Yuri

Fyxe

[size=1][color=slategray]I know there is a yaoi thread, but I think there needed to be one dedicated to yuri... and if there is already one... sorry. XD

Anywho.
I'm reaching out to you manga gurus. I need some good recommendations for yuri manga. Mind you, I cannot read Japanese, so, obviously... it will have to be a translated series. Whenever I go searching for some new titles, I come up empty handed. But I am very open to any series, because so far, I really haven't read any in the yuri area. I'd love to, though. So, any suggestions?

Also, to add for conversation... what's been your favorite shoujo-ai/yuri series? (If you already haven't explained in your recommendation.)

Discuss![/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
There are literally no real, translated yuri manga out there. You'll have to either take what you can get in terms of innuendo and side characters (for instance, there's a great yuri relationship in Loveless, but it only involves two supporting characters, and the main story is BL).

With this said, [url=http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/manga/manga.php?manga_view=2358][u]Blue[/u][/url] is a fantastic, heart-rending yuri story. The artwork is spare and realistic and the tone is mature and true to life, which makes it look and feel quite different from your average manga. I very much recommend it, although the style may throw you off a little.

~Dagger~

[size=1][color=slategray]Then I suppose that'll make it difficult for me. I'll have to mainly stick to BL, then. I'm not complaining though.

Actually, I just previously started reading Loveless, so I'll keep that in mind.

Oh! Blue, I saw a few good reviews on it in a yuri forum the other day. However, when I went to look for it, nothing came up. I think I should stay away from Google, it honestly does me [I]no[/I] good. So, thanks for the link. ^.^

Thanks Dagger, I had somewhat abandoned my search for awhile.[/color][/size]

Well, funny coincidence... you might actually be in (some) luck, because Seven Seas just announced that they have the license to [b]Kashimashi ~ Girl Meets Girl[/b]. There's a lot to like about Kashimashi. Even though it starts off with the lame gimmick of [spoiler]the main character being a boy who gets turned into a girl,[/spoiler] it moves past that to develop an excellent three-girl love triangle.

~Dagger~

[size=1][color=slategray]I looked into [B]Kashimashi ~ Girl Meets Girl[/B], definitely something I'd be into. I suppose now I have to wait. >>

Oh, and I have a question. Would [B]Revolutionary Girl Utena[/B] be something I should check out? From what I've read, it deals with some pretty heavy lesbian themes.

I wish some more companies would start getting licenses for yuri manga, it would make it so much easier for people like me. XD[/color][/size]

The Utena TV show is my all-time favorite anime series.

The Utena manga is... vastly inferior.

I would recommend buying/Netflixing the anime if you can. You would have to purchase it in box sets with thirteen episodes each (the first one comes with the movie as well), since the singles are either out of print or quickly heading that way. On the bright side, each set is only $39 before discounts.

The movie by itself may seem like an easier alternative, but it runs the risk of being totally incomprehensible to those who aren't familiar with the TV series characters, even though it's [spoiler]supposedly[/spoiler] a re-telling. Its lavish visual beauty and somewhat more blatant yuri content is a nice treat after finishing the TV series. I would suggest watching it last. That having been said, I do know people who saw the movie first and still enjoyed the show, so it's not like that's a hard-and-fast rule.

Either way, the manga really lacks the atmosphere, style and sophistication of the TV series and movie.

~Dagger~

[size=1][color=slategray]That's fine, I've heard far more praise for the anime in any case. I think the main reason I was asking for manga titles was because I simply prefer that form better, and it's generally more in my price range.

So, I'll check those three titles out. Thanks for all the guidance, Dagger. I thoroughly appreciate it.[/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Snow-White
In case anyone's interested, [[COLOR=Sienna][B]Link Removed By Moderator[/B][/COLOR]] is a great source for scanslated yuri/shoujo ai. n_n;
[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1][INDENT][B]Snow-White[/B], links to copyrighted materials is not allowed here at OtakuBoards so I have removed the link you provided. ~indifference[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]